Now that singing has become "acceptable"

#### umbrellas!  I'm heading for the basement!  :sos:  :ph34r:

:lolhit: :lolhit: :lolhit: :lolhit: :lolhit:

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever - you win... you've talked me into submission.  The sky is falling.  I think I just got some on me..... :ph34r:

funny i see other stuff falling from the sky :P

a dozen? more than a dozen have spoken up, just not as often as some.

a dozen. that's priceless.

looks like 800+ on the news page....a dozen. thanks i needed that laugh

Sure, but just because somebody doesn't like amplified voice (or amplification in general) doesn't mean they're read to up and abandon DCI, does it? I and virtually all of my friends who are drum corps fans strongly dislike amplified voice and could generally do without amplified percussion instruments, but we still support the activity and love going to shows. Until and unless the majority of D1 shows start to sound like BD '05 or BAC '04, I think that even most of those who really don't like amps will continue to be fans.

and human nature is the more you see stuff you don't like, you stop following.

DCi isn't able to do away with that legacy fanbase should it start leaving.

and my hunch is poeple see that stuff winning, and will keep doing it.

DCi isn't able to do away with that legacy fanbase should it start leaving.

You always sound so definitive...it's "this and that"..."it's growing"...."it's huge"...and in the end it's all hunches and guesswork. As I've said.

Meanwhile attendance is rising and shows are full of new and legacy fans.

Mike

Strangely enough, though, Cadets '05 is probably the only show that I've heard several people who generally don't like amplified voice say they actually thought that it was used effectively. We'll see what happens next year, but I'm not so sure it's gonna be the start of a trend, anyway. Notice that both BAC and Crown shyed away from amplified voice this year and BD's experiment was decidedly disappointing. I can deal with two or three corps a year doing it, especially if, like the Cadets, it actually fits into the flow of the show and isn't a majorly disruptive intrusion. Like I said, we'll see. I mean, it's been legal in the marching band world for ever, and only a small percentage of bands do it. I predict that it'll be the same in DCI in the long run.

That explains why attendance has been on the rise in recent years (since the "dark ages" of the late 90s), yeah?

Edited by Orpheus

Strangely enough, though, Cadets '05 is probably the only show that I've heard several people who generally don't like amplified voice say they actually thought that it was used effectively.  We'll see what happens next year, but I'm not so sure it's gonna be the start of a trend, anyway.  Notice that both BAC and Crown shyed away from amplified voice this year and BD's experiment was decidedly disappointing.  I can deal with two or three corps a year doing it, especially if, like the Cadets, it actually fits into the flow of the show and isn't a majorly disruptive intrusion.  Like I said, we'll see.  I mean, it's been legal in the marching band world for ever, and only a small percentage of bands do it.  I predict that it'll be the same in DCI in the long run.

That's my guess as well...amped voice is not the 'norm' in the band world...I don't know why it would all of a sudden become so in the corps world. My own guess is that each year there will be a couple, but that's it.

That explains why attendance has been on the rise in recent years (since the "dark ages" of the late 90s), yeah?

Gee, I guess since attendance has risen thse past few years, the passing of multi-key and amps must have caused that increase. ^0^

Mike

yet the number of legacy fans lost is larger than people wish to admit. keep losing more, and DCI is hurting

You always sound so definitive...it's "this and that"..."it's growing"...."it's huge"...and in the end it's all hunches and guesswork. As I've said.

Meanwhile attendance is rising and shows are full of new and legacy fans.

Mike

attendance is up at "like" shows. since DCI will never give the real numbers, we'll never know will we?