Now that singing has become "acceptable"

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if that happens, you never know ... a corps might enlist a solo dancer from Alvin Ailey or even a professional juggler.

Okay, many of us know what you're talking about, but the newer people might need footnotes.

No one will sing in Drum Corps for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Can you imagine the press reports from MTV and ESPN2. Be sure to catch Ashlee Simpsons upcoming summer tour, featuring her new backup band "THE CADETS"

Well, luckily for us, pre-recorded sound/vocals isn't allowed yet.

Yeah Steph - what Lance said!  I challenge you to name 10 people here who said they wanted it called band. :::crickets:::

Well, Hopkins frequents this board, there's one...

Well, Hopkins frequents this board, there's one...

Okay, I've got to offer a correction here. I was at the seminar in Orlando in January last year when this whole thing got started. George gave a PowerPoint presentation that included the "slide" that won't go away. It stated, "Drum corps is marching band." It was reported as such in Drum Corps World that way without properly attibuting the context in which it was presented.

George was making the point that we need to always try to focus the public on what we are...our "brand identity," if you will. He then mentioned that to many people who didn't know any better, drum corps was marching band. That's when the slide appeared.

George did not advocate that comparison. He was clearly just pointing out the perception and encouraging us to be aware of such when we tried to market ourselves to the public.

And from that one article in Drum Corps World and at least a few misquoted e-mails sent out from the seminar, the "legend" got born that George really does believe drum corps and marching band is the same.

If I knew you were misquoted in some capacity, I would also come to your defense.

Peace.

I've been misqouted many times, you haven't rushed to my defense when i've been critical of DCI :P

I'm just calling it what everyone wants us to call it!  "BAND".

Didn't someone say "a rose is a rose"..

No. The proper quote is:

What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet.

What it means is precisely the opposite of your intent. It means the name itself doesn't matter. Remember Juliet is saying that had Romeo only had another family name, this love of theirs wouldn't be so cursed. She even precedes that famous line with one that would serve us well in the corps/band discussion:

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy.

HH