ESPN2 Telecast

I'm watching the telecast on ESPN2, and I am terribly disappointed. It's a two hout telecast, and at best maybe 20-25 minutes has been given to the actual shows.

It's ridiculous. I'm sure some of the filler stuff is interesting, but it can easily be trimmd back to allow more time for the shows--which is the point of the telecast, so I thought. And they are still recycling that bit with the drummer hooked up to the telemetry. Taht piece is what, 4 years old now?

I can kind of understand only showing parts of the bottom corps, but from what little I saw, Phantom Regiment had a spectacular show, one that, IMO probably should have won, and we got two minutes? That is an insult to the viewers and to the corps.

Honestly I think it's great. If you want to see just the shows buy the dvds. This is the only way DCI will ever be sold to an audience who doesn't already understand the complexity and difficulty of what we do. This kind of exposure will do nothing but help the activity.

Just my $.02

Allison

Don't get me wrong. I agree that the supplemental material helps sell drum corps to outsiders. And a lot of the segments were solid. But I don't think we needed that much. With only a little judicious editing, we could have seen the top three shows in their entirety without sacrificing any of the substance of the extras.

We didn't get to see a single show in its entirety. That, IMO, is a travesty. BYMMV. And, btw, I'd be much more likely to buy the DVDs if I had a better idea of what I was getting.

Don't get me wrong.  I agree that the supplemental material helps sell drum corps to outsiders. And a lot of the segments were solid.  But I don't think we needed that much.  With only a little judicious editing, we could have seen the top three shows in their entirety without sacrificing any of the substance of the extras.

We didn't get to see a single show in its entirety.  That, IMO, is a travesty.  BYMMV.  And, btw, I'd be much more likely to buy the DVDs if I had a better idea of what I was getting.

You are getting 12 of the best drum corps in the World......I am sure you can find something you like if you are a drum corps fan. Drum corps does have to support itself, and one of those ways is through the dvd sales....instead of everybody taping the finals off of PBS (Guilty!!!!! watch out copyright police)

If you don't want to buy the dvd's dont, if you want to see some really good drum corps, by them. You wont be dissapointed.

by the way, three acronyms in three consecutive sentances....impressive.

Honestly I think it's great. If you want to see just the shows buy the dvds. This is the only way DCI will ever be sold to an audience who doesn't already understand the complexity and difficulty of what we do. This kind of exposure will do nothing but help the activity.

Just my $.02

Allison

Why do we need the audience to understand the complexity and difficulty of what we do? How about we get them to LOVE WATCHING what we do? We didn't give them enough time to do that. Get them interested first, THEN explain it.