Famous people in Drum Corps

dcf06

TV host Regis Philbin played French horn in the Cedar Rapids Cadets.

Philbin Im pretty sure is NYC born and raised, so unless there is another Cedar Rapids besides Iowa I doubt it.

Rumor and I'm pretty sure is that current Kiwanis Director Doug Darwin taught the drummer for Barenaked Ladies on drumset and I'm pretty sure he marched in one of the many canadian corps of the time

Yes this is true..............Doug instructed the line all the years Tyler was marching.

I myself marched on the snareline with Tyler, and taught him a lot of rudimental drumming.

Doug, nor anyone else really taught Tyler to play set, this was his own doing.

If you have seen Tyler on TV doing interviews, he is still a comical guy, but this PALES in comparison to some of the stunts and gags he used to pull when we were on tour or at a dead serious rehearsal.

Andrew Summers

The "Pit" drumset player for the Off-Broadway production "The Blue Man Group" as well as one of the blue men has marched. Kingsmen and Cadets I think, but don't quote me on the exact corps.

• 8 years later...

I don't know if this counts but if anyone uses "Warburton" Mouthpieces (I use one and will never use another mouthpiece) Terry Warburton marched in Blue Rock. I forget what year. But I learned that from Terry himself!

Actually Toronto Optimists is where he marched.

Regards,

John

heh, skimming through the thread for some research, saw the quoted post, made reply - then found out I already did that years ago. Don't know how to delete.

Edited by sarnia sam

Actually Toronto Optimists is where he marched.

Regards,

John

heh, skimming through the thread for some research, saw the quoted post, made reply - then found out I already did that years ago. Don't know how to delete.

Folks usually just replace the text with something that says "Edited -- double post" or similar.

As for all the Blue Man Group mentions - there are MANY Blue Men. I met a 1989 Madison Scout drummer after one of the shows in Boston.

Jay Wanamaker, former high ranking executive with Yamaha Percussion marched with Utica's Magnificent Yankees.

Not sure if he's been mentioned yet. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but this was just posted today. Chad Sexton from 311 has been a huge influence since I was young.

http://www.fuse.tv/videos/2016/11/clash-of-the-corps-311-chad-sexton-pays-blue-devils-drumline-a-visit

The original drummer from Blondie was a Bridgemen, as well as Ed Toth from the Doobie Bros, and many more. Madonna was never in the Bridgemen from Bayonne, she was in a Michigan HS band called the Bridgemen.

Gary Powell, the drummer with The Libertines & Dirty Pretty Things marched with the Cadets.

I suspect those two bands are unknown to most Americans but they were very popular a few years ago in the UK/Europe.