Origins of the Blue Devils name

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the show this year. I'm not really an amp/microphone person, but as Sam said the narration was somewhat necessary. The ability to do something truly different was a nice change to what some other corps are doing in the activity. They seemed to be a little dirty at times, yet they were very exciting.

I haven't heard any of that souvie booth getting attacked business. The last time the souvie booth was in trouble that I know of was in 2000. Nobody showed up for Div 2/3 prelims to run the booth and every other booth was open. They put stickers, shirts, everything all over it because no one was there.

Carlito

I enjoyed the show.  I know that not all alumns feel the same way.  I don't watch the shows with a critical eye.  I go and watch, listen to "that" sound and I'm happy. 

Through the years, I have seen the reviews on the west coast be positive for team Blue, then watch the reviews get negative as the corps travels east (it's one of the running jokes out here).  The further east they go, the more negative the reviews get. 

So...some of those I talked too knew the reviews were going to be negative as the corps gets back from Europe.  The negativity topped anything I would've expected, particularly the stories regarding attacks on the Souvie people (supposedly, security had to be called at one show).

If that's what drum corps is like back east.....well.....I don't think there is anything that can be said.....

You certainly won't find that kind of behaviour out west.  So....hope the corps enjoy their tour in 07  :)

I know a lot of reviews out this way were VERY negative (as though these kids were not busting their ### like everyone else) but in a heretofore "unpublished" review...

A friend of mine saw this year's BD in Columbus, OH with me. I talked to him after finals, and he said "Fourth Place? Those must have been KILLER shows to put that one in 4th".

Personally, as a Midwest/Eastcoast marcher, we could not wait until the middle of the season. "When the #### are we gonna get to see BD?"

I know a lot of reviews out this way were VERY negative (as though these kids were not busting their ### like everyone else) ...

Anyone who is enough of a fan to write a review here on DCP (or elsewhere) knows perfectly well that all the kids in all the corps work extremely hard all summer long. That doesn't mean that we have to like the show they put on or that the corps should be immune to criticism.

Richard:

That little vid on your sig. is pretty funny! I watched it twice through with a big smirk. N E Ways...thanks for the laugh B)

Back to the MARS Topic....I remember in 92 and 93 that it seemed to be a breeding ground for Mosquitos....At nights we would have to take mosquito repellent breaks...If you looked up at the lights, it was just swarming.

Was it like that always?

I don't recall mosqiutos at mars. We had an occasional snake on the field (big, too).

Then again, we didn't have the same lights that are out on the field now (when was the field changed? Early 90's, right?). When I marched, we had about 4 telephone polls with these small dim lights at the top I think if any bug flew in front of the lights it would've cast a shadow on the field.

Oh I definitely remember mosquitos at Mars. Especially if the auxillary feilds were flooded, as they were ALOT in 04. Mosquitos, random bunches of gnats... hot mess out there, lol. And birds that chirped like a metronome. I remember that. :P

They've gotta replace, or rebuild the grandstands. Staff was breaking through the top 2 years ago, I can only imagine how it is now.

Anyone who is enough of a fan to write a review here on DCP (or elsewhere) knows perfectly well that all the kids in all the corps work extremely hard all summer long.  That doesn't mean that we have to like the show they put on or that the corps should be immune to criticism.

Believe me, I'm not trying to tell you not to criticise. I think the show design was worthy of some criticism. I just think they got dumped on.

I marched a show that was universally panned. At the end of the season, someone wrote an article in DCW called "Blue Blood and Guts" about how we worked so hard to place our show in finals. It was like a breath of freash air, especially after reading a thousand times "boy, is the Bluecoats show a dud this year." He didn't say "wow, what a great show", but just gave us a pat on the back for not giving up on our season.

So that's alll I'm saying. Good job this year, BD.

Sorry for the OT, I'll take my toys and go play somewhere else now.