Origins of the Blue Devils name

I believe the origins of the Blue Devil's name, as well as their concept is based on the original band "The Blue Devils", which was a small jazz ensemble in the Kansas City area in the late 30's. This was one of the most famous ensembles in that era, I do believe there is one Blue Devil still alive today. Most noted performers of that band followed Count Basie( who's drummer innovated playing time on the hi-hat ) to join Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra. Word.

Alexis Abril

Colts 03-04

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a pic of Mt. Diablo from Mars at the last Renegades rehearsal. I would post a pic of the giant squirrels too but none of the pics came out very well!!! It's really pretty out there from this view. The other way is just oil refineries, sort of in the middle of nowhere!

DCA2005065.jpg

Here's a pic of Mt. Diablo from Mars at the last Renegades rehearsal.  I would post a pic of the giant squirrels too but none of the pics came out very well!!!  It's really pretty out there from this view. The other way is just oil refineries, sort of in the middle of nowhere!

DCA2005065.jpg

Ugh, I'm reminded of HOT days with no shade and COLD ### nights.

I believe the origins of the Blue Devil's name, as well as their concept is based on the original band "The Blue Devils", which was a small jazz ensemble in the Kansas City area in the late 30's. This was one of the most famous ensembles in that era, I do believe there is one Blue Devil still alive today. Most noted performers of that band followed Count Basie( who's drummer innovated playing time on the hi-hat ) to join Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra. Word.

Alexis Abril

Colts 03-04

Uhhh....no. See the responses of we who actually marched there.

Uhhh....no.  See the responses of we who actually marched there.

Bingo.

Whodda thunk? :P

Yeah - I remember - there was a spectacular nighttime grass fire on Mount Diablo during the Summer of 1977 - I clearly remember going up on a hill to see it...

...however I don't remember the pine trees at Mars being quite that big when I marched there (gulp!) :lol:

regards - Jim

BD 77 lead bari

Edited by Jim Alberty

Yeah - I remember - however I don't think the pine trees were quite that big when I marched there (gulp!) :lol:

regards - Jim

BD 77 lead bari

agreed Jim, hence the reference to "no shade". :P

I remember that sight as if it were yesterday....the sight of Mt Diablo everytime we went back to the starting line for run throughs.....hotter than #### during the summertime, but nice nights B)

Edited by felixh