Origins of the Blue Devils name

We never saw the brass staff until the afternoon. Morning during my time was the stretching and running block.....all the way down the street, up through the other baseball entrance and around all of the baseball fields.....we would do two or three laps...and end with a sprint into the field. I think the running block would tyipcally last 30 minutes.

Wayne did a running block? That I would have to see :P

I'm like Rich, nearly naked during the day and many layers of clothes at night. I would have a t-shirt, sweatshirt, flannel shirt, another thick flannel shirt, and my ski jacket at night.

And double pair of white gloves on the hands....when I forgot my ski gloves. I remember my fingers just being in constant pain at night, barely able to move my fingers.

Staff had no mercy, there was no excuse for sucking during ensemble or a run-through, regardless of how cold it was or windy.

The field always starts the season off looking nice and new and by mid-season, it's dirt at center field. DUring my time, the 30's looked like radio-active signs imprinted on the field due to the constant rehearsing on the gate turns.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The infamous there are no more snuggies in this corps took place at Mars.

Do tell! Mike Moxley tried outlawing snuggies in 84....after I'd gotton my 3rd one. I held the record for a couple of years, but a kid in the 86 corps tied me.

Didi someone actually get hurt, or just REALLY get what was left of their undies in a twist??

Do tell!  Mike Moxley tried outlawing snuggies in 84....after I'd gotton my 3rd one.  I held the record for a couple of years, but a kid in the 86 corps tied me.

Didi someone actually get hurt, or just REALLY get what was left of their undies in a twist??

Sam, I am honored to answer your question. Obviously things change through the years and it seemed like the whole snuggie thing was really just one night at Summerville (sp?). Our hype was 7, so the vets decided that seven people would be "chosen." I remember a lot of dudes like freaking out and wearing no underwear or cutting the waistband or whatever. I just figured if you were a tic, you were gonna get it and if not you were fine. So during the night, they would surround each person and tell them that they had been chosen and the snuggie would commence.

There was one isolated incident during movement one morning when Laurie Riker asked this bari VET how many years he had marched. Needless to say he was a big tic and after that block the vets pounced on him like a pack of wolves to get the snuggie done. The best part about that one was Todd Ryan, it was his first year at BD, asked where this guy was. When Todd was told that he was getting some underwear on he responded with something like good, if he keeps on screwing up he'll need another one.

I don't even remember anyone freaking out about it, except this one alto dude. He wasn't well liked by anybody and he had a real problem with it. He told me that he was thinking about quitting because of it. I would imagine that he was the one that got it all squashed. Wayne just told us at one point that the time of the snuggie had come and gone and that it was not to happen any longer. I'm sure some people were bent about it, but there were worse things that could happen like the Hound surrounding the 04 to pelt them with pillows when they got off the bus.

3 snuggies! Wow, I'm impressed.

Rob, yes Wayne did a running block. I almost couldn't believe it when it was happening. I'm pretty sure it was to let us know that it was okay to run. Nobody really wanted to do the running block and likewise it kind of went away as we left for tour.

Thanks for memories from my favorite BD show of all time 1984.

Carlito

There are many snuggy stories going around. Glad it's gone...kind of stupid.

Having said that ^0^

The funniest snuggy that happened was the traditional "birthday" snuggy to a rookie and some vets.

Along with snuggies, there was the golden rule, no snuggy shall be administered while a person is holding a horn...period. That was the safe guard for rookies, some never put their horns down.

One rookie, who's birthday it was at Mars, knew sometime that day a snuggy would be attempted. He was not putting his horn down for anything. A group of vets would follow him around during stretching and such, asking to see his horn, he knew what was up. Not giving up the horn.

Well, at that time, the staff and members were pretty close and constantly joking with each other. We were doing basics, a company front, elbow to elbow, doing the 15 to 10's across the field, then doing the company front backwards. As a special treat, the person who's birthday it was got to be "center" of the company front. Good spot to be...but you better know your step size, there is #### to pay if you don't. I digress.

Half way across the field, the drum major does the corps halt thing. A few horns up, dress center dress, horns down..........

horns on the ground....and expletive from the guy at dress center.......corps to attention, dress center dress, ready front (BUSH), dress center dress, ready front (BUSH), mark time hut, backwards march......about ten yards....see where this is going ^0^

Corps halt......RELAX!

DOG PILE....RIP!

5 minute break guys ^0^

Edited by bd5times

Wow!! You mean I wasn't the most hated rookie in BD history????

Re my snuggies....memories....#1, Dunno WHY I got it, except for maybe me just being me. I had NO IDEA what was going on....but I found the old waistband still around me then next morning. #2 I don't really remember....but #3 was on my birthday.

We're at camp at Atwater HS (ewwwww)....Feb 24....bed down. It's known that the next day is my 20th birthday...midnight hits...watch alarms ALL over the place.

A group of maybe 8 vets get up with flashlights and start saying "Where's the birthday boy??"

Don't deny it, Brown!!!

Now...KNOWING that they would find me and knowing that resistance was futile, I said "I'm over here....just let me move my stuff out of the way."

The vetys very politely waited a few moments while I moved breakable things -- like my glasses -- to a safe area.

"OK...I'm done.'

POUNCE!!!!

Looking back, one of my fondest memories....even if i DID still feel my shorts up my butt-crack for 2 days....

At least I wasn't like euph Karl Tonander...who actually SLEPT through most of HIS snuggie....he finally woke up when his shorts started ripping....I hear "WTF??? *thud*"

Ahhhh....the memories.....

• 2 weeks later...
Not to change the subject, but since this thread ballooned and there are plent of old devs on it...

yes I said old...

What did you guys think of this years show? 

I am going to reserve comment for a second.

Regards,

cf

Where's my walker, ######???

The only bit of the show I've seen was on the broadcast...from a performance standpoint...a few bad attacks between the horns and drums...some durt in the feet...I had no issue with the narration....it WAS kinda necessarry.

I would have to see the entire show to really give an opinion, but it wasn;t as bad as some people made out...

I enjoyed the show. I know that not all alumns feel the same way. I don't watch the shows with a critical eye. I go and watch, listen to "that" sound and I'm happy.

Through the years, I have seen the reviews on the west coast be positive for team Blue, then watch the reviews get negative as the corps travels east (it's one of the running jokes out here). The further east they go, the more negative the reviews get.

So...some of those I talked too knew the reviews were going to be negative as the corps gets back from Europe. The negativity topped anything I would've expected, particularly the stories regarding attacks on the Souvie people (supposedly, security had to be called at one show).

If that's what drum corps is like back east.....well.....I don't think there is anything that can be said.....

You certainly won't find that kind of behaviour out west. So....hope the corps enjoy their tour in 07 :)

Edited by bd5times