Most Influential Instructor

PJS53

In my limited experience (one year in the late 70s), it was our brass instructor/arranger - Tim Salzman. Also the arranger of Greensleeves and our other brass instructor, Scott Wagner.  These two guys were dedicated, hard working, and focused. They helped us to grow into a focused unit.  Tim's pre-show "meditation sessions" with the horn line helped all of us to keep focus and get out on the field with our best.  Tim went on to SCV and Cavaliers, and helped them to become championship horn lines in the 80s and 90s. I feel privileged to have been a part of his early years.

Edit: sorry about posting this on the percussion forum!  I realized after posting that I'm off topic!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: sorry about posting this on the percussion forum!  I realized after posting that I'm off topic!

Hey no problem. You just have to understand you brass guys take your chances when you get on the drum bus. BTW. I marched with Scott Wagner and he is a good guy. Glad to hear he helped you out.

Dan Delong and Mark Thurston.

Dan Delong and Matt Jinks.  Although I never really had him as an official teacher, I do credit Tiras Allen with a lot of inspiration.

Wow. I would like to name a list, but one stands out above the rest for me. Jon Zimny. Jon was the brass Caption head for the Freelancers. I stayed at the Freelancers because of him (after trying out and making BDs line in 92). I remember my rookie year. Casper WY. I was a pretty scrawny kid that year and I was playing euphonium. I had a bunch of problems in my home life and never really had someone take a special interest in me. I couldnt hold up my horn, I couldnt march and I could just barely play. At Casper, I had enough of being yelled at and screwing up all the time. I walked out of rehersal, went to the gym and packed up my stuff. I was quitting the corps. Jon came up to me and asked what I was doing and I told him I was tired of bringing the corps down and that I was done. Told him I was quitting. He looked at me in that special 'Oh Yeah??' way of his. He then calmly slammed me up against a locker and got about 1/2 inch from my face and very calmly said..."CJ, you will BE a Freelancer by the end of this season, or one of us will die trying!! Now get your ### back out to rehersal!! Quitting?? I think not." He took a special interest in me from that moment on and I never looked back. I aged out as a Freelancer 6 years later and I became the man I am today because of that one special moment in Casper. If you are reading this Jon, thank you.

George also got me m first HS band teaching job. As a freshman music major in college in 1971, George brought me in to teach at a HS close to my college in NJ. He wrote the drum book and did some teaching and Larry Kirchner did the wind charts. I was what today would be called a 'tech'; at that time it  was the 'Asst Drum Instructor'. The band director was the Cadet's Asst Brass Instructor from 1971, Larry Schillings, a former Chrome Dome member.

Mike

Mike,

Was this Morristown?

Doug

For me it was Tom Float. Truly, I learned just about everything I know from Tom, marching in 80 and 81 Spirit of Atlanta.

Tom is a demanding teacher, there's no doubt, but the results he gets are incredible. Just being exposed to the way he thinks is an education! :)

The "west coast" drumming style he brought to Atlanta permeated the region and lives on as the prominent drumming style in the Southeast even today as those of us who were taught by him, or taught by others that he taught went out and taught even still others his way of playing. I'm proud that his style is today the basis of the CorpsVets Sr. line.

Doug,

No, it was Glen Ridge, but Larry DID later bring me into Morristown to do the percussion book and teach when Jill van Syckle (sp?) was band director, when Larry did did their visual program, early 80's or so.

Mike