....a fond farewell

bill

Briefly................

Services for Kiltie Joel "Lothar" Magnuson were held Saturday, September 10th with well over several hundred in attendance. 100 plus Kilties were in full "battle" uniform as a show of respect to their passed brother, along with many Kiltie alumni, and family and friends. Joel is being laid to rest in his full "battle" uniform.

The Kilties rotated in members and alumni to stand as an Honor Guard.

Ray "Moon" Johnson, who was first to the aid of Joel on the field after his collapse, gave a very moving eulogy.

"Moon" had taken Joel's plaid (pronounced played), which is the cloth tartan that rests over the shoulder of a Kiltie's uniform, and divided it into hundreds of small Buchanan plaid ribbons/swatches for a rememberance to wear for those attending.

"Moon" (during the eulogy) mentioned on how it dawned on him while cutting the plaid (played), how the Buchanan plaid pattern was incomplete looking due to the smallness of the ribbon-like swatches. They did not display the full tartan pattern.

He went on to say how we are all like those small plaid swatches as individuals. Only when all the swatches are placed back together do we get a true view of the "family". Only then are we complete. As the importance of every swatch to make the tartan complete, so is every individual to make our "family" complete. Only then do we get the full picture of who we are.

It was a very moving and insightful eulogy.

After the official services, The Kilties (2005 membership and alumni) assembled outside the funeral home on Main Street in Racine to pay their final respects to Joel and his family by performing their emotional brass choral version of "Auld Lang Syne".

The strains of the final note rang throughout the city.

A gathering of the Joel's family, his "Kiltie Family", and all of Joel's friends was held directly across the street at the local VFW. Tears, smiles, laughter, and rememberances flowed.

On behalf of The Kiltie Family...........our deepest sincere thanks for all those attending from far and near, and for all of the thoughts and prayers expressed publiclly and privately over the last 9 days.

Character-Honor-Tradition-Excellence.

"Wea Winnea Bea Daunted"

Bill (Roetzer)

President

The Kilties

Moon's eulogy :ph34r::huh:

Just the thing to send a friend off with....well done. My sincere condolences...JC's tribute post made me wish I'd known Lothar.

BTW...what years did he march Kilties as a Jr? There's a 70s Kiltie alum at my fencing club who may have marched with him.

Moon couldn't have been more right with his eulogy.

Lothar will be sorely missed.

I don't think that I have ever read a more heart-felt or moving eulogy than was given by Moon. After having read that, and JC's tribute to Lothar, I cannot help but hope that when I should pass, that I be held in such high regard.

I didn't know him, but sounds like the services were a real class act by a class organization - RIP Lothar, and WWBD!

I think I remember Moon since I believe we were rookies in 70 in Jr. Kilties - nice job for a Kiltie brother, Moon!

May we all have such a classy sendoff when our time comes!

I think I remember Moon since I believe we were rookies in 70 in Jr. Kilties - nice job for a Kiltie brother, Moon!

You are correct Rob. Moon marched Kiltie Kadets from 66-69, marched Kilties Jr. from 70-77 (he obviously aged out), drove a Kiltie bus in 78-79, did both reunioun corps, and is a charter member of the Kiltie Sr. (93-05). Needless to say, nobody has marched more years in the Kilties than Moon. That's why we call him "Mr. Kiltie".

WWBD!