Why let PBS go to waste?

dcf06

So I was thinking, Now that DI has the primetime,  why cant Div II/III get there share. Why cant we get our own show own pbs... I mean even IF it was a half hour at least we still get seen... Oh yea thats right we are worth the money! I think is a good dea but I really dont have faith Dci will be that kind... what do you think?

First of all, I deeply love the heart of the Division II & III corps members.

But a little bit of something to consider...

How much media coverage do the NCAA Division II football teams get? Or the basketball teams? Or Minor League Baseball? Any of the other football leagues that keep trying to take hold? Etc...

Why do you think this is? (I'm not challenging you...I just want to give you something to think about.) And there lies your answer.

I'd love to see ALL corps get coverage on national media, but there is only so much media to go around and we're fighting every activity under the sun for what we are able to get.

This is only my personal opinion and not that of DCI.

Mike

Did we change it from a cap of 60 members?

Division III can be up to 70 members as corps with 61-70 members can choose between II and III.

How much media coverage do the NCAA Division II football teams get? Or the basketball teams? Or Minor League Baseball? Any of the other football leagues that keep trying to take hold? Etc...

Mike

Good point Mike but I think the NCAA shows that Div II/III school sports exist a lot better than the DCI telecasts acknowledges the Div II/III corps. Even a sentence or two that there are other Junior corps out there would be a start. (OK I didn't see all of this years telecast, so might be wrong for 2005.)

MLB does a good job plugging the Minor BB teams but that's helping MLBs bottom line anyway.

FWIW - Our area covers the minor leagues very well but we have minor league BB and hockey locally. Also have a bunch of Div II/III schools near by.

Division III can be up to 70 members as corps with 61-70 members can choose between II and III.

You're right. I could have done a better job asking the question of the person who mentioned that Division III corps could have up to 79 members each.

you're close, but not quite right, before last season the II/III board made this change (from DCI's corps page):

Division II corps have memberships of no less than 80 and no more than 135 members. Division III units have memberships of no less than 30 and no more than 70. Corps with 71 to 79 members have a choice between Division II or III distinction.

so a corps in Div II can be as small as 71, while a div III can be as big as 79.

Edited by tubawarrior

Why do you think this is? (I'm not challenging you...I just want to give you something to think about.) And there lies your answer.

I'd love to see ALL corps get coverage on national media, but there is only so much media to go around and we're fighting every activity under the sun for what we are able to get.

This is only my personal opinion and not that of DCI.

Mike

Let's look at things this way, why is Arena Football more popular than NFL Europe or XFL or any other "pro" or "semi-pro" league? It's because while the game is basically the same, they aren't trying to out NFL the NFL. They recognize their particular niche and have expanded to fit it. They don't compete against the NFL nor do they attempt to compare themselves to it. Their marketing and gameplay is tailor-made to fit their needs. The Atlanta Falcons and the Georgia Force are owned by the same person and operate out of the same buildings, but they are treated as two separate entities.

In order for something like this to occur on the D2/3 level, we have to totally re-think the way D2/3 is presented as a whole from marketing to show-design. On the surface, there are very few differences between a Regional D1, a D2 or a D3 corps, but underneath the surface there are plenty of qualities that make them all unique unto themselves. And once we recognize those qualities, then we can exploit the #### out of them. I would love to see a D3 corps do some experimentation along the lines of winter guard and indoor percussion by taking a small number of people and still managing to produce a visually stunning product.

I would like it if div. 2/3 got onto PBS, but knowing the world of drum corps it probably would have been shown at the exact same time as the ESPN2 coverage of div. 1 finals. I hate being stepped on in the drum corps world, after feeling like I've accomplished so much and not getting any recognition for all of the hard work after every season, I doubt that I will be coming back to corps this summer. Even at my school, the div. 1 kids get special treatment and the rest get treated like they are hardly capable of high school marching band just like everyone else. This is sort of off-topic, but it was really disappointing to go to div. 1 finals after being at div. 2/3 finals... quite a difference.

I would like it if div. 2/3 got onto PBS, but knowing the world of drum corps it probably would have been shown at the exact same time as the ESPN2 coverage of div. 1 finals.  I hate being stepped on in the drum corps world, after feeling like I've accomplished so much and not getting any recognition for all of the hard work after every season, I doubt that I will be coming back to corps this summer. 

If you had a good experience over the summer, why on earth would you not go back? Do you march for "recognition" or to learn, have fun, make friends, and kick butt on the field? If you had a good time and got something positive out of it, why should you let what someone else says or does ruin it for you?