Best Hornline ever in DCI......

DevsBari02

218 members have voted

1. 1. Best Hornline ever in DCI......

• 1989 Phantom Regiment - (New World Symphony)
    • 1996 Phantom Regiment - (Defiant Heart)
    • 1991 Star of Indiana - (Roman Images)
    • 1980 Spirit of Atlanta - (Georgia/Let It Be Me)
    • 1975 Madison Scouts - (Slaughter on 10th Ave/McArthur Park)
    • 1988 Madison Scouts - (Malaguena)
    • 1992 Blue Devils - (Cuban Fire/When a Man Loves a Woman)
    • 1994 Blue Devils - (My Spanish Heart)
    • 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard - (Phantom of the Opera)
    • 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen - (Sing Sing Sing/King of Kings)

Suncoast 85 was awesome (when the baris come in in that 3/4 tune (Midnight in Miami?) after the sops do their thing, just before the solo bari/bass drum line duel -- YOW!), but I remember thinking when I heard it live, and still believe, that '86 Blue Devils were the cleanest, loudest, most kick-### horn line I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Hey, I gotta tell ya's, I just received my Legacy DVD from 1995 and I was reminded that Madison's hornline that year (the spanish show) was just F'n unbelievable!!!

I don't know, I think you NEED to add them to this list.

So many great shows, great corps, and great hornlines. I know it's hard, but pick one.  :P

Star of Indiana 1990 is the best performed brass book ever.

Even members from Star 90 will say that there were a lot of "hairs" out of place in their perfomance. 1991 started the era of taking a much finer comb to the brass performance and showing the world what can truly be performed on a field.

don't get me wrong............Star 90 is THE SHOW that got me to march with them............but technically, a little sloppy. 120% heart in that show though...........you can feel the energy.

Suncoast 85 was awesome (when the baris come in in that 3/4 tune (Midnight in Miami?) after the sops do their thing, just before the solo bari/bass drum line duel -- YOW!), but I remember thinking when I heard it live, and still believe, that '86 Blue Devils were the cleanest, loudest, most kick-### horn line I've ever heard.

I like 85 Suncoast a lot, but most people regard 86 Suncoast as the best line we ever put on the field. And, we beat BD and SCV in horns at their home shows that year.

• 3 weeks later...

Star 91....Spirit and Phantom close behind.

Thanks!

Sean

w/Stp:

So many great shows, great corps, and great hornlines. I know it's hard, but pick one.  :P

Star of Indiana 1990 is the best performed brass book ever.

'90 Star was definitely louder than '93 Star, and the horn book as twice as entertaining, but from a performance standpoint '93 Star did almost nothing wrong. In fact I listen to the '93 show on a daily basis, and right at this moment I can't think of any part of that book that was noticeably mis-performed. There MAY have been one or two moments where one of the 104827 exposed passages had a split-second of blend issues. I can walk through the '90 performance and point out many many blend issues. But now we're talking nitpicks. The '90 line will beat 90% of the winners of high brass in DCI history.

But '93 will beat anyone you put out there...

• 2 weeks later...

Since everyone else here has been bringing up the old Suncoast Sound hornlines, how 'bout Suncoast Sound 1988? That was a pretty LOUD a## line too!!

• 9 years later...

How about the 1978 Black Watch Hornline? It was only 35 members, won Class A Championships, and played Echano, Four of the Eight up into double A's, by the Illegal Eight, the Lead Soprano line, so named by Wayne Downey, who was judging GE Brass, for the way they played Echano, 'They played that So Loud, So High, So Long, They should be Illegal!'

Totally Illegal!