Best Hornline ever in DCI......

DevsBari02

218 members have voted

1. 1. Best Hornline ever in DCI......

• 1989 Phantom Regiment - (New World Symphony)
    • 1996 Phantom Regiment - (Defiant Heart)
    • 1991 Star of Indiana - (Roman Images)
    • 1980 Spirit of Atlanta - (Georgia/Let It Be Me)
    • 1975 Madison Scouts - (Slaughter on 10th Ave/McArthur Park)
    • 1988 Madison Scouts - (Malaguena)
    • 1992 Blue Devils - (Cuban Fire/When a Man Loves a Woman)
    • 1994 Blue Devils - (My Spanish Heart)
    • 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard - (Phantom of the Opera)
    • 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen - (Sing Sing Sing/King of Kings)

"Best Hornline":

Well, going back a bit, I would consider the 1972-1973 hornlines of the Argonne Rebels to be worthy of that distinction. Sandy Opie did a magnificent job on the Crawford-Pennington charts, and in the the days of "Content Anaylaisis" they (And Madison) were the only ones to ever recieve a "5.0" (Max) number.

Their "Pre DCI" hornlines weren't too shabby either.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta give props to SCV '87.  I envy those who got to see us live - I never did!!

I'm with you! Had a nephew in the soprano line by the name of Lane. We attended all of SCV's shows that were within 300 miles of Indianapolis. We would show up during their practice with two cases of cokes. The 87 show was great.

My "gold standard" for DCI horn lines had been the Blue Devils for quite some time.

Until I heard Carolina Crown's line in 2009. That is the best horn line I have ever heard, on any level of drum corps, in the more than 40 years I've been involved in the activity.

• Like 1

"Best Hornline":

Well, going back a bit, I would consider the 1972-1973 hornlines of the Argonne Rebels to be worthy of that distinction. Sandy Opie did a magnificent job on the Crawford-Pennington charts, and in the the days of "Content Anaylaisis" they (And Madison) were the only ones to ever recieve a "5.0" (Max) number.Their "Pre DCI" hornlines weren't too shabby either.

Elphaba

I remember back then there was an album made called "5.0"... featuring the performances from those two great horn lines. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Do you know what is funny? When this poll was created, Crown would have never been thought of in best hornline talk.

And I also had NO ####### clue what DCI was or drum corps in general. And then that drastically changed...

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

That '91 Star line is probably a Top 3 line of all time in my book but if your looking for the best line i have ever heard on recording or live it would go to '96 Phantom. That book was not the hardest in the world but the depth and emotion that that they conveyed and the fact that as a corps they had been runner up so many times and to see them win that first World Championship was really something special. '86 Suncoast Sound, '93 Star of Indiana, and '96 Blue Devils would probably round out a personal Top 5 for me.

• 5 months later...

While I agree with many of the fine submissions on this thread, I want to add a few more.

1974 Muchachos

1975 Madison Scouts

1977 Cavaliers

1978 Bridgemen

1979 Guardsmen

1980 Blue Devils

1982 Sky Ryders

1988 Madison Scouts

1992 Cavaliers

My "gold standard" for DCI horn lines had been the Blue Devils for quite some time.

Until I heard Carolina Crown's line in 2009. That is the best horn line I have ever heard, on any level of drum corps, in the more than 40 years I've been involved in the activity.

My updated favorite: Carolina Crown, 2013. Absolutely unreal.