Drum Corps Food.....

Walter

How do you feed 135 teenagers and thirty some odd support staff and still serve healthy meals ????

Peanut butter sandwiches and cereal for breakfast ??

Back in the day, we went to McDonalds and Burger King, A LOT!!! Healthy food was not as big a priority back then as it is now.

If we wanted a healthy meal we usually went to Ponderosa or some semi fast food steak house.

How do the kids of today eat and do they like the food they get fed !!!

If you want to reveal who you are marching with and the type of food they give you, that's up to you but not necessary!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you feed 135 teenagers and thirty some odd support staff and still serve healthy meals ????

Peanut butter sandwiches and cereal for breakfast ??

Back in the day, we went to McDonalds and Burger King, A LOT!!! Healthy food was not as big a priority back then as it is now.

If we wanted a healthy meal we usually went to Ponderosa or some semi fast food steak house.

How do the kids of today eat and do they like the food they get fed !!!

If you want to reveal who you are marching with and the type of food they give you, that's up to you but not necessary!!!

In the case of my corps:

We would usually get four meals a day (usually show days) during tour. Breakfast usually consisted of cereal with lots and lots of fresh fruit (and yes, the occaisional penut butter sandwich). Lunch and dinner were usually one or two hot dishes with alternatives such as chicken patties or burgers. We got two or three side dishes (mostly vegetables) with that. And post-show snack was left-overs with a huge selection of random sweets (this was my favorite meal :P ).

During camps and free days, however, we were on our own. Even though I ate fairly healthy during tour, I had to live on fast food during camps.

I have friends from several corps who say that is the same way they ate.

I only recall going to taco bell once, and maybe mcdonalds once. I recall eating alot of hot meals made off the truck from volunteers. The stuff was usually full of carbs, which for a bunch of kids who are sweating all day, was enough to keep up the energy level. The food was usually set up on a few tables, and at the very end of the table...oh yes...was the bread, and the "liquified from 100 degree heat" peanut butter...mmm...and steamy grape jelly. Oh yeah, I remember my first day in Dubuque going to mcdonalds in the food truck and picking up a donation of about a trillion frozen egg mcmuffins. We ate that in variations for breakfast all summer. I think they are still eating those mcmuffins 10 years later.

I can't complain. Our corps had a chuck-wagon and the corps director's wife was a nutritionist. They made sure we had 3 good meals everyday complete with Cookie Salad and milk at the end of the day. Sometimes we ate steak-n-eggs for breakfast or French Toast.

I will say I have noticed the kids in today's corps are eating even better than we did. They have more of a variety to choose from. Even the kids who are vegetarians are not forgotton.

when I was watching Crowns all days while they were at my high school, they ate pretty good.

they had pancakes in the morning, and sausage, and that kind of stuff... not really sure bout lunch and dinner... I went home to eat, but I do remember being surprized by what they ate for brekfast.

~>conner

I had no complaints about the food at the Glassmen.

During all meals, PB&J was available, and special food for vegetarians or anyone else with special dietary needs. After everyone had been through the line, you could go back for more servings, but most people filled up on the first two burgers or whatever anyway. The only time we had to provide our own meal was Friday and Sunday dinners at move-ins, and free days (when you want to find an awesome restaurant anyway). Additionally, we had a special dinner near the end of the season with steak, baked potatos, cake, rolls, etc.

Breakfast: An assortment of cereals, and then stuff like eggs, sausage, hash browns, muffins, fruit, or pancakes.

Lunch: Depending on the schedule and time available, maybe just cold cuts, but often hamburgers (when they got the real grill out was the BEST) or chicken patties or fajitas or tacos, cookie or pudding, salad or vegetable, fruit.

Dinner: Some kind of casserole or pasta, vegetables or salad, a dessert (maybe even cake or a brownie).

Snack (for after the show or after the run-through if it's a rehearsal day): sometimes Frito pie or nachos or ice cream, but often it was like a second dinner except without all the sides. Leftovers were served as well, and sometimes a local parent/alumnus would send pizza or dessert.