Drum Corps Food.....

Walter

Based on all of the replies, it seems like drum corps nutrition has improved greatly over the years, but I have to confess that I have often wondered why more corps don't apply the principles of sports nutrition to drum corps. I do understand that money is always an issue, but it seems to me like good sports nutrition could provide a competitive edge.

My daughter has marched with two different corps and I must say that Corps 2 served much more nutritious meals than Corps 1.

Corps 1 = all gruel all the time, few fresh fruits and vegetables, and a "sugar is a good thing" mentality.

Corps 2 = lots of fresh fruits and vegetable and good quality protein, but no whole grain cereals or bread.

I really do believe that, over time, corps who find a way to follow the principles of sports nutrition will have stronger, healthier members who will be able to perform consistently at their peak on the field.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on all of the replies, it seems like drum corps nutrition has improved greatly over the years, but I have to confess that I have often wondered why more corps don't apply the principles of sports nutrition to drum corps.  I do understand that money is always an issue, but it seems to me like good sports nutrition could provide a competitive edge.

My daughter has marched with two different corps and I must say that Corps 2 served much more nutritious meals than Corps 1.

Corps 1 = all gruel all the time, few fresh fruits and vegetables, and a "sugar is a good thing" mentality.

Corps 2 = lots of fresh fruits and vegetable and good quality protein, but no whole grain cereals or bread.

I really do believe that, over time, corps who find a way to follow the principles of sports nutrition will have stronger, healthier members who will be able to perform consistently at their peak on the field.

I seem to remember lots and lots of french toast for breakfast in Suncoast Sound and lots of cereal. I also remember peanutbutter and orange marmalade. I can't eat orange marmalade to this day. I came off second tour in 1983 severely anemic but that may have been my fault since I didn't always eat like I should have. :blush:

Of course nutrition is important to kids, but seriously, kids can eat cardboard and it won't affect them adversely. Their bodies can handle it, especially if they're doing something as rigorous as corps every day.

When I joined the Knights in 83 we had been donated what seemed to be a billion boxes of Halfsies cereal. Of course the corps appreciated the donation, but man, after a while it really WAS like eating cardboard.

It seemed like we always had a hot breakfast when the food trailer could hook up the tanks, and we almost always had a snack after retreat, and they were always pushing us to drink fruit juice instead of soda (whic I resolutely ignored), so we didn't have it too bad at all. Cooking for a small corps is probably easier than a big corps.

Of course nutrition is important to kids, but seriously, kids can eat cardboard and it won't affect them adversely. Their bodies can handle it, especially if they're doing  something as rigorous as corps every day.

When I joined the Knights in 83 we had been donated what seemed to be a billion boxes of Halfsies cereal. Of course the corps appreciated the donation, but man, after a while it really WAS like eating cardboard.

Hmmmm...maybe your cook staff was really feeding you the boxes as "extra roughage!"

:P

Mike

I remember my first tour breakfast was a bucket with Tang (it was a new thing back then!) stirred with a drum stick & a donut. We were on our own (McDonalds, bread, canned goods) for most meals. One of our big treats was they fried up some balogna for us. No wonder I was skinny back then! Sure wasn't like it is today - I really did have to walk back and forth to practice in 2 feet of snow with my mellophone in one hand.... at least I didn't have bare feet :P

Edited by DrumCorpsMom

For the past 3 years we have had one of the best cook staffs in DCI. I love you Pat and Kathy!!

Anyways, for breakfast we would always have cereal, fresh fruit and a hot breakfast item of some kind ranging from cinnimon coffee cake to biscuts and gravy..my favorite!

Lunch usually consisted of sandwiches, cold or grilled, burgers, fruit, salads,

Dinner was always the best. A few of my favorites were Taco salad, Spicy noodle stuff with chicken, Gumbo, Meatloaf, Pizza casarole, and French Bread Pizza, and the #1 favorite Baked Potato Bar. They would put out all the fixings for this, ground beef, chili, mushrooms, butter, sour cream, broccoli, cheese...we would usually load it up so much that we couldn't even see the potato!

Snack was usually pudding, ice cream, banana splits, Root Beer floats, BTS cake, carmel brownies, apple crisp...and chicken wings!!!

The portions were always huge and we never went hungry. Pat would usually have a vegitarian and vegin substitute.

I marched with Dutch Boy for 6 years (1983-1988) and we almost always ate exceptionally well. Our corps director often referred to our meals as country club quality and that we were spoiled. So to all the cook volunteers over the years I marched THANK YOU, but I do have 3 very specific stories I remember about our food.

1. - naming a casserole "crunchy carrot casserole" because the carrots in the casserole didn't cook all the through does NOT make me believe the carrots are supposed to be that way! But nice try.

2. - In 1986 we had to compete first at every prelims show due to our dismal placement in DCI the prior year. Our cook staff felt so bad for us that at one show (we would get up a 5am to get some rehearsal time in before the show) they fed us - chocolate chip pancakes with chocolate ice cream on top served with a nice giant glass of chocolate milk. Ummm not a pretty sight watching chocolate appear through the bell of a horn or a guard member dancing and vomitting at the same time. Needless to say we were not served that breakfast again! I guess the road to #### really is paved with good intentions and lastly...

3. - The corps was on the way to a show when the food vehicle broke down. Except for the assortment of junk food on the bus there was no food available. When the corps finally arrived at the show the staff knew everyone needed to eat but had nothing to offer since the food truck didn't make it to the show. The corps director or someone ( I can't remember) went and purchased twinkies and cokes for everyone and was handing them to the members as they got off the bus. When one member received his "ration" he remarked quite loudly " A TWINKIE AND f****'N COKE!!! THAT'S IT, NICE! That phrase stuck with the corps all the years I marched!

In all seriousness, I would like to commend and thank every volunteer that cooked for Dutch Boy or did anything for the corps during the 80's, you all did an amazing job and put up with a lot of crap on what was supposed to be your vacation time from work.

Thank You :beer::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Edited by neddy

The Div. III corps I traveled with this summer ate as good as the top-level Div. I corps I traveled with for many years before that. My wife was head cook and applied all of the things we learned from the Div. I corps. The only issue was we did not have a separate "food truck". Everything was in one semi, equipment, food, etc. We learned to be very creative. We also were able to modify some Rachel Ray recipes to serve 120. Things like Mexican lasagna, breakfast burritos, roasted pork with new potatoes, chicken fried rice, etc.

I think we actually had a few kids who gained weight this year!

I remember my first tour breakfast was a bucket with Tang (it was a new thing back then!) stirred with a drum stick & a donut.  We were on our own (McDonalds, bread, canned goods) for most meals.  One of our big treats was they fried up some balogna for us.  No wonder I was skinny back then!  Sure wasn't like it is today - I really did have to walk back and forth to practice in 2 feet of snow with my mellophone in one hand.... at least I didn't have bare feet :P

DrumCorpsMom, try doing that walk with a contra strapped to you back, walking up hill both ways !! :P