Dot vs Form

They can not do anything that would require a curved path be taken to achieve the end form.  Cavies do a lot of forms/moves that look very difficult but if you analyse it, they are actually marching a rather simplistic form but making it look harder/better by the use of contrary movement.

I've seen this statement on here a few too many times for me not to comment. It seems too broad a generalization to say that every Cavalier form that looks difficult is actually just made of simple movements in contrary motion. Even if that is the case, most of the contrary motion is created by giving members 4 count set, which basically means a direction change every 4 counts. I think most of us will agree that changing directions every 4 counts at 200bpm is much more difficult than just taking a big step size in a straight-line parth for 16 counts.

From year to year, I would venture to say that the Cavaliers have the most difficult drill of any corps. To downplay that fact by saying it's "all just contrary motion" is stupid, IMO.

As for curved paths, have you not seen the first big hit of Four Corners? It's a high velocity snake movement, which the Cavaliers are not supposed to be able to do because they don't guide or use curved paths, but they did it, didn't they?

And don't you think if the corps ever needs to make use of curved paths for a certain drill effect, they would?

I know the Cavaliers are very religious about dots, and that they love their system, but I don't think they're stubborn enough to think that their way is the only way of doing things. That's more than we can say about most of the guiders around here.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic