Ballads

considering more than 3/4 of sproc's post are about surf, i'd say he's a bit partial too... i am also a bit partial, but i think my corps' 04 ballad was better than our 05 ballad... as far as unbiased opinion, i never really got to see/hear many other corps, but i've alyways been a jesus christ superstar fan.

Blue Stars' 2004 ballad...  :laugh:

No kidding. :blink:

I'm going to go with the thought that the original post was refering to this past summer and it made me actually start to think about the many fine ballads I saw this year.

So here are my personal DivII/III quiet moment favorites for 2005:

1) Raiders - "John 19:41/Gethsamane" - when the backfield soloist (who was just plain excellent) nailed this (which was most of the time) it had an eerie hair standing up on the back of the neck quality. The whole corps performed this well and drew the audience in. You breathed with them. For me this was the top ballad performance for Div II/III for 2005. It was truly memorable.

2) Memphis Sound - the quiet, lyric part of "Los Endos Suite" which featured the guard couple. Well-blended sound. The corps was spread well over the field and the sound quality was good wherever you sat in the stands. It was their best moment for 2005. This was really very well done.

3) Spartans - "Mvt 3/ Meditation" (I think) The excellent control of the hornline was highlighted in this part. Soprano player was experienced and set the tone and mood perfectly. The baritone soloist impressed me with how much he improved throughout the summer. The guardwork and visuals for this were absolutely beautiful.

Honorable Mentions:

Pride of the Lions - "Fallen Leaves" - nice arrangenment of an old classic. I only had the chance to see this corps perform twice and I wish it could have been many more times. This was very well done.

Revolution - "Hope" - I admit I really did not like the flags telling me what I was supposed to be feeling (I like the performance to speak for itself) until they raised this one. Then I just smiled. Musically speaking I also found this to be their best moment.

Taipei Yuehfu - "Green Island Serenade" - The first time I heard this and saw the guard wave those lovely feathered fans and blue streamers, I knew I was seeing a special moment I would remember a long, long time. Such a perfect blend of culture and drum corps.

Thanks to these corps and to the many other's whose fine and quiet moments made for a great summer of drum corps.

Please excuse my faulty memory if any of my recollections are inaccurate.

I am just a member of the old guard.