Myron Rosander at Madison

liebot

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Myron! You are going to one of my most favorite Corps (next to Troopers :) ). Just think, you will be able to write drills for a Corps that has a long and successful history. One that has been close to us (SCV) ever since the "Combine" was formed. One that allowed us to play "You'll Never Walk Alone" many times with them since '71. They have a different style and play different music than SCV and so those creative juices of yours should be able to flow for many years, just like they did with SCV. I have no doubt that you will do us proud. Thanks for those many awsome moments that you created for SCV over the years. You will not be forgotten and may you never walk alone...

Pete did a great job with Scouts this year. I hope that whatever his future holds, he continues to develop into a great drill writer. I have a feeling we will see his name A LOT over the next many years.

As far as Myron goes. His years with SCV include many "up" years, and many "down" years...whatever that may mean to you. While some of these ups and downs probably have to do with his own abilities (not every show a great designer creates will be a blockbuster...but he has managed to "re-invent" himself a couple times), I tend to think that his ability to design a "blockbuster" has much to do with the people he is surrounded by. These things are really a team effort.

I hope that the Madison team provides to environment that will allow Myron to flex his design muscles like we haven't yet seen from him...this could be scary good for Madison...or it could be kinda blah. Time will tell...

M

Edited by OMello1

what does my perception at that age mean? what... i cant look at the DVDs and pick up on these things? oh... so now you're trying uselessly to use the age card here... well too bad... the drills looked the same since 97/98....  what was innnovative and fresh then just doesnt cut it now...

...nevermind

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

Now I understand people have many debates about whether he will reinvent Madison or not. You should consider a couple of things. First he has been a part of a design team that many people have raved about for the last 7 or 8 years. But I believe some of you have over looked the part where he was a part of SCV's design team during the late 80's which include the two Phanton of The Opera shows which so many people rave about as one of the greatest shows ever. Of course he was there from the early to mid 90's as well when SCV was not quite doing as well as people have come to expect. Does he do an incredible job writing drill without a doubt. Has there been some suspect years? Yes. including last year. I personally was not a fan of the years being put in the show. I thought it was a cheesy move, that can partially insult the inteligence of a Drum corps fan. Now what does this mean for Madison? I can say for sure except for guessing like everyone else. I believe that Madsion well continue to grow like they have for the past few years. I think Myron will be rejuvinated by a new corps and may see some of his greatest work yet. He has truly been one of the best drill writers out there, now it is a question what will happen. Personally after last years show for Madison and some of their inovative designs, especially the whole street fight scene, this could be a combination that leeps Madison into the top three or higher. But like all drum corps seasons we will have to wait and see what everyone comes up with.

what was innnovative and fresh then just doesnt cut it now...

Hang on a sec. Isn't it entirely probable that SCV and Myron just had one of those off years last year? You're going way overboard on your assessment with this. And I don't think it has to do with your age, but perhaps it has to do with your experience and maturity in the activity, or lack thereof.

You bring up shows from 7 or 8 years ago. What about 2004? Just one year ago, SCV finished 2nd in the overall visual captions (combined 2nd in visual performance, 2nd in color guard, and 3rd in ensemble visual) and a solid 3rd in GE visual. Seems like whatever Myron and his team were doing was plenty innovative and fresh just one year ago. He suddenly lost it all in one year??? Try again.

His stuff may not be to your aesthetic liking, but the man has earned a lot more respect than you're giving him. Any corps would be fortunate to have such a talented and driven professional collaborating with them.

I think Myron has done some amazing things.....and some of you might relate the drill writing to SCV's placements in past years, which is totally fair. I do think even in some of SCV's more turbulent years, the drill was still very good. If you don't teach or march it well, it won't look good anyway. The opening sequence in '92 comes to mind. That move rocked, and it was technically difficult. In that situation, the writting was flawless, the execution was not.

Myron is a proven designer and the Scouts will welcome his to the staff. Sometimes good people leave good corps. I don't think you can turn this into a soap opera. Personally, I've always experienced that fresh starts are a way of rejuvanating your passion in something. Whether you leave an organization in an amiacable way or not. New perspectives are also good for the corps whose philosophy may have gotten a little stale (not in Mad's case, i dont think). Sometimes people just want a new challenge, sometimes a corps wants to breath some life into itself by severing its relationships with staff and bringing in new blood.

I think everyone in this situation has good reasons for making changes and I'm sure there is nothing but best wishes for all involved. You don't just decide you don't like the dude that wrote drill for '87, '89, '91, '97 - '04.

This is the best news for SCV in 20 years!

1982 was the last great visual show for SCV.

Visual cost them a championship in 1987. Also 2004 IMHO.

Visual was not their forte in 1989 and 1999 and it could have cost them championships in those years.

Inside sources say get ready for a stunning announcement for the visual designer.

Just a note: I am not a fan of selecting the staff before selecting the director. This ties the hands of the director in choosing the staff that he/she wants.

:blink:

Hang on a sec. Isn't it entirely probable that SCV and Myron just had one of those off years last year? You're going way overboard on your assessment with this. And I don't think it has to do with your age, but perhaps it has to do with your experience and maturity in the activity, or lack thereof.

You bring up shows from 7 or 8 years ago. What about 2004? Just one year ago, SCV finished 2nd in the overall visual captions (combined 2nd in visual performance, 2nd in color guard, and 3rd in ensemble visual) and a solid 3rd in GE visual. Seems like whatever Myron and his team were doing was plenty innovative and fresh just one year ago. He suddenly lost it all in one year??? Try again.

His stuff may not be to your aesthetic liking, but the man has earned a lot more respect than you're giving him. Any corps would be fortunate to have such a talented and driven professional collaborating with them.

:wub::blink:

Thank you, couldnt of said it better myself (As you can tell, I had to edit my entire response for fear of being banned LOL)

~G~

1.This is the best news for SCV in 20 years!

2.1982 was the last great visual show for SCV.

3.Visual cost them a championship in 1987.  Also 2004 IMHO.

4.Visual was not their forte in 1989 and 1999 and it could have cost them championships in those years.

Inside sources say get ready for a stunning announcement for the visual designer.

Just a note: I am not a fan of selecting the staff before selecting the director.  This ties the hands of the director in choosing the staff that he/she wants.

In response I numbered your "statements"

to #1, I doubt it highly, I can think of plenty of other more relevant announcements in the past 20 years.

to #2, Total folly, I can recall 83, 84, 85, 86, 88, 89, 90, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, and 04 being both cutting edge and highly touted as excellent and on the forefront of desing and inovation.

to #3, No, Ensemble brass If I recall was the main culprit, Its their successful visual program that kept them as a contender and finishing in second place from every year 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, and 88.

to#4, see response to #3 regarding their contention for titles, winning title and their visual program.

Opinions, sheesh

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230