Myron Rosander at Madison

liebot

This is the best news for SCV in 20 years!

No...this is NOT the best news for SCV in 20 years. Myron has been one of the activities best drill writers for a longer period of time. Yes, he's had a blip, or two...but, please, who doesn't? And, while this past season wasn't even close to being his best work, it doesn't necessarily mean it was his fault. A lot of aspects to the 2005 SCV product were controlled by the Programing leadership, which (from many accounts) tied the creative hands of the designers.

I'm totally confident that Myron will add a majorly creative spark to Madison. Yes, it's way too early to speculate just how much stronger Madison is going to be (or, even if they will finish higher). One thing's for sure: Myron Rosander will be sorely missed at SCV, but Madison is definitely going to benefit.

Good luck, Myron!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the best news for SCV in 20 years!

1982 was the last great visual show for SCV.

Visual cost them a championship in 1987.  Also 2004 IMHO.

Visual was not their forte in 1989 and 1999 and it could have cost them championships in those years.

Inside sources say get ready for a stunning announcement for the visual designer.

Just a note: I am not a fan of selecting the staff before selecting the director.  This ties the hands of the director in choosing the staff that he/she wants.

:feednotroll:

What Myron has done at SCV is more than write a little drill. He has been the teacher of many young men and women of what the orginization means, and plainly how to enjoy life and see things from a different way. What he has taught me will last longer than I remember placements of various years. He was a living remnant of GR and taught us many things he learned himself from GR. I will miss him for that fact more than his crazy hard drill he wrote for us.

Well, Pete Webber will surely be missed.

I felt he created a highly innovative and powerful visual

package for Madison that was one of the main reasons

for their great improvement in 05. At the same time, I'm

happy that they hired someone like Myron Rosander to

take over that area but I hope his style and creativity

clicks with Madison in the right way.

Edited by madalumni

So, with Mr. Rosander's visual and creative style, what kind

of music do you think will work best for Madison in 06?

I'd like to see them do something fast and dark like

Benjamin Britain's "War Requim".

True, what was ensemble brass and now is ensemble music has kept SCV out of the title for many years while the visual score has carried the corps. However, there have also been times that the ensemble music score suffered because the visual demand did not take into consideration how it would be almost impossible to create a great musical ensemble. In 2003, for example, I had a few friends who would actually place bets to see whether side 1 or side 2 would win during the first 45 seconds of the show. Which one would have better control of pulse? Which one would have a better sense of style? There is good staging, bad staging, and selfish staging. And then there is Myron staging. Good luck, Madison.

Hang on a sec. Isn't it entirely probable that SCV and Myron just had one of those off years last year? You're going way overboard on your assessment with this. And I don't think it has to do with your age, but perhaps it has to do with your experience and maturity in the activity, or lack thereof.

You bring up shows from 7 or 8 years ago. What about 2004? Just one year ago, SCV finished 2nd in the overall visual captions (combined 2nd in visual performance, 2nd in color guard, and 3rd in ensemble visual) and a solid 3rd in GE visual. Seems like whatever Myron and his team were doing was plenty innovative and fresh just one year ago. He suddenly lost it all in one year??? Try again.

His stuff may not be to your aesthetic liking, but the man has earned a lot more respect than you're giving him. Any corps would be fortunate to have such a talented and driven professional collaborating with them.

as i believe they took third in visual in 04... and you claim that this year was perhaps an off year for myron? well who's to say 04 wasnt an off year for cadets, which would put SCV in 4th for visual? i dont think there was anything innovative and fresh about 04... two folding blocks, oh thats right he changed them to triangels... hmm what else... the lines emerging into blocks/ blocks colapsing into lines... hmm nope.. the 6 pointed asterik looking form that folded into a block... hmm nope... so what was innovative? their drill has been lacking...if you look at 98,99,00,01,02,03,04,and 05 you will see the same moves again and again.... its boring now..

This is a huge oppurtunity for Myron to tap into some new ideas that fit with the electricity that Madison produces. I think great things are yet to come!

It's unfortunate that in this day and age of drum corps, the first image to come to my mind when reading "electricity" was amped vocals :(

But I am very excited to see what Myron has the boys doing next year!