Division 1 2005 CD's

How do you rate the quality of the 2005 CD's?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the quality of the 2005 CD's?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Fair
    • Poor

I have been listening to the 05 CD's and I must say I am disappointed with the quality of the recordings. The microphones seem to of been placed on the 45's resulting in some major balance problems that where not noticeable in the 05 APD's. Pit and soloists on the 50 are clear but brass sound is muddy. Boston and SCV's back field openings are so muted that they are difficult to hear. Boston's mallet section in the pit overwhelms the hornline in several spots. Cadets middle voices sound like they are playing in the back stands. Overall, the brass sound lacks power. Although they are not nearly as bad as the infamous 95 recordings done horrendously by IBM they have a similar sound. I am no recordings expert but I suppose the stadium and the heat and humidity could off effected the recordings.

yeah- i cant believe how loud the front ensemble is sometimes on the tracks... i mean... LIVE, its fine because you still get the brass, but on the recordings, it seems like the increased sound of the pit is at the EXPENSE of (and not just in addition to) the brass sound... and i like my corps beefy... but thats just me

Edited by nero14

I'm down to Capital Regiment so far, but:

The good - very, *very* clear recordings - actually better than recent years. The fuzziness you hear from the amps is pretty much the fuzziness that they gave live, not a recording distortion.

The bad - like last year, the pits are *way* too loud, overpowering the brass on many occasions.

Overall - pretty much like last year - maybe a little clearer, but if you were okay with them in '04, you will be in '05.

Mike

OK, I've not heard the CDs, but I can assure you that even live Boston's pit was way too loud.  You could hear them over the brass even during portions like the big hit in Promise of Living.  So I would not judge balance issues on what you hear from Boston alone.

You are right on!!! On finals night Boston was like, 'Here is our pit with the brass playing back-up!!' <**>

Overall - pretty much like last year - maybe a little clearer, but if you were okay with them in '04, you will be in '05.

Mike

Exactly. They did fix the overall volume problems, where last year's were so low I almost had to crank the knob to 11. This years' recordings are fine, except for the crappy shows...I'll shut up now.

I'm down to Capital Regiment so far, but:

The good - very, *very* clear recordings - actually better than recent years.  The fuzziness you hear from the amps is pretty much the fuzziness that they gave live, not a recording distortion.

The bad - like last year, the pits are *way* too loud, overpowering the brass on many occasions.

Mike

couldnt have said it any better. i agree that the pit is too loud at times, but honestly im ok with that...i think the 95-98 CD's have desensitized me and made me grateful for what we have! I must say that i love how clear the brass and percussion sound is...fantastic job on that.