"G-Force Open House"!

FireSop1

i thought at first that this reference, was a reference to bugles, and if so, then i AM mistaken...but now i think it is just a referense to the NAME of the corps, wich maybe because of the bugles....this is not the place, for this debate AGAIN

I'm sorry, I've held my tongue for awhile but now I must speak up.  I find this "if it's not G, it's not drum corps" catch-phrase of yours very offensive.  You can play on whatever bugles you want but to call the rest of the corps that don't play on G bugles "not drum corps" is extremely rude and insulting. It doesn't make you look like a very classy organization at all to insult 95% of junior corps and a growing percentage of senior corps.

Also, DCA and NJA would obviously disagree with you since 2 of the top 3 corps this year were on B-flats.  I'm not saying they are better... I'm saying they are just as valid as G's. 

Finally, be smug when you have actually fielded a corps for a full season and don't expect to get a lot of people to join with this condescending attitude.  Being extremist is not the way to attract new members.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought at first that this reference, was a reference to bugles, and if so, then i AM mistaken...but now i think it is just a referense to the NAME of the corps, wich maybe because of the bugles....this is not the place, for this debate AGAIN

The exact phrase is "...IN G..." that is musical vernacular for "in the KEY of G" There really is no other way to spin it... besides there are all kinds of other references implying that G bugles are the only legitimate horns for "real drum corps."

As I said... coming from a corps who has only been to 2 DCA shows in the 2-3 years they've been in existence... it's just a really smarmy thing to say.

The issue is not G vs. B-flat here. DCA made it abundantly clear this year that both are welcome in the senior activity and I personally feel there are advantages and disadvantages to both. The issue is that saying things like that is just condescending, rude, and downright class-less... especially for an upstart corps looking to attract new members. Just letting you know how it comes off to me.

Edited by EuphKub79

So if this corps is trying to start up... why are you trying to start something?

Why are you trying to make them look bad??

Personally, the slogan fits the name of the corps, so let him be... its his opinion, and he IS allowed to speak his mind!

So why dont you drop this and let the corps be... you arent helping his recruitment either by ranting about the Bb/G key in DCA, that would be another topic to discuss, not whether or not G-Force is in G or Bb nor his phrasing in his slogan.

G-Force and Randy are class acts... if you are in the Western PA area, I'd suggest to check them out!

Edited by spamula

So if this corps is trying to start up... why are you trying to start something?

Why are you trying to make them look bad??

Personally, the slogan fits the name of the corps, so let him be... its his opinion, and he IS allowed to speak his mind!

So why dont you drop this and let the corps be... you arent helping his recruitment either by ranting about the Bb/G key in DCA, that would be another topic to discuss, not whether or not G-Force is in G or Bb nor his phrasing in his slogan.

G-Force and Randy are class acts... if you are in the Western PA area, I'd suggest to check them out!

That is not the issue... they can play T-flat horns for all I care. I'll again restate... and if you read my whole post you would've seen this already... this is about being rude and ignorant to other corps and saying they aren't "real" drum corps simply because they play on horns other than G Bugles.

Whether or not they mean it that way, the whole thing comes across as extremely condescending and negative. As with anything having to do with PR... it's all about how it's taken... not how it is intended.

If this were a well-established corps making these kinds of statements they would be nailed to the wall with railroad ties. Just because they're starting out doesn't mean they can say whatever and offend whomever they want.

Edited by EuphKub79

ha...accually i thought that when they first started up...thinin....they havnt even been to a show...but then relized they needed the people, so let them state what they believe....good luck guys

Best of luck guys... hope to see you out there this year.

<snipped rudeness>

If this were a well-established corps making these kinds of statements they would be nailed to the wall with railroad ties.  Just because they're starting out doesn't mean they can say whatever and offend whomever they want.

I think they said pretty much what they wanted to. The DCP admins are allowing the thread to continue - so, yes, they can say what they have said. You'll have to find a more productive use for those railroad ties - like fixing bridges.

Let them say what they want. I checked this thread and they neither asked nor thanked you for your PR advice.

Representing your corps is more than just a philosophical discussion on horn keys, but more with doing so with class and integrity, I think we got the point that G-Force likes G Horns - great, but they never said that your corps sucked because they play B-Flat. I think we can all agree that Bush were monsters this year with one helluva show.

Your post seems to be an ugly stain on an otherwise enthusistic and exciting thread. Your perspective does make a lot of sense, but being a name-caller about it strips all the integrity from your opinion. After getting the gist of how you were stating your views, I stopped caring about the message - it became a meaningless blur of spite.

I honestly think these people are not being mean-spirited or insensitive in how they present themselves or G-Force. Randy is an awesome guy and I know he has nothing but good intentions for his corps and the activity.

I, for one, hope they blow the doors off Class A next year.

If you want to unhold your tongue in the future, and you really want your opinion to be respected and absorbed, you should do so with fairness, courtesy and good spirit.

Edited by radiosteele

Best of luck to G-Force in 2006!

Let's see.... that would make 27 corps at prelims....... :worthy:

Fran

plus yokihama...plus the two CA corps

We better start prelims at Noon!