What All-Girl Corps should come back into DCA?

What former Jr All-Girl Corps would you like to see as a DCA Corps?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Corps

• Ventures
    • Les Chatelaines
    • St. Ignatius
    • Audobon Bon Bons
    • Catholic Daughters of America
    • St. John's Girls
    • Mello Dears
    • CapitolAires
    • Fire-ettes
    • Nee-Hi's
    • Jeanettes
    • Alpine Girls
    • Suburbanettes
    • Arbella
    • Socialites
    • Royaleer Mounties
    • Others

Being from Wildwood, NJ, I grew up watching and loving the Bon Bon Girls of Audobon. I believe they won at least one national championship and even beat a lot of the Big Boys at one time or other. (Though I can't remember the show(s)).

I also vividly remember the incredible power of their hornline. Back then, the chauvinist in me thought, "This CAN'T be an all-girl corps!" They put almost all of the other all-girl corps to shame.

Also, I have to mention my beautiful ladies from Racine, Wisc., since they weren't on this poll: The NEW DAY and their little sisters, THE NEW DAWN. :huh: I was their horn instructor and corps director for a very short time. If any of you ladies are reading this, please e-mail me and say hi. I miss you guys! :)

Thom B)

thom@thewildwoodsreporter.com

TheWildwoodsReporter.com

I'd also like to remember a couple of other NJ all-girls. Forgive me if I'm a little fuzzy here: The Pompton Lakes Stardusters and the Paramus Mountettes.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Les Chatelaines

I would say they were the best all girl corps hands down. They give good chair!!!! For those who say them in 82 know what I'm talking about :huh:

St. Ignatius. Saw them line up at a NY State American legion championship show many years ago when I was marching Hamburg Kingsmen - I thought they looked like a bunch of little 11 year old girls - what could they do on the field? Twenty seconds off the line - holy $%&* - could they play - and knees up around their eyeballs when they were marking time - wow!

Amen! I remember warming up next to them in Ypsilanti in '82. We were working drum parts. They were opening and closing their folding chairs. it was SOOO hott.

Les Chatelaines

I would say they were the best all girl corps hands down. They give good chair!!!! For those who say them in 82 know what I'm talking about :huh:

I was surprised that the Alpine Girls received so many votes. We competed against them in the early 70's.

Hey Liz! This is a "what if" type poll. I know that they would never come back.

Wow! I must say that you all are great at giving history lessons. I am still learning a lot about this activity (only been marching since 2002). I NEVER knew there were all-girl corps! Wish I would have been born a decade or so earlier so I could have marched in one!

Calm down, I'm sure it was just an oversight that you were left off the list. No need to then gratutiously slap down your former competition of over 30 years ago and then gratitiously slap DCA.

In any case, I guess my vote would to for the Bon Bons. In their day, they competed and won against the highest level of junior corps. :)

Hi OLDTIMER:

My goodness, you think I was excited and was slapping down former competition, you need to leave the PC and get out more. I’m sure that with all the many girl corps there have been many are missing from the list and only tried to point out a corps that actually had 3-national titles not 2.

I wasn’t a corps member, just a fan, but I am currently in a combined alumni corps with some former members and they are still champs.

About the DCA, again... we’re all entilted to our opinions.

Great discussion!

---Dave--- :huh:

When did the Ventures fold? It couldn't have been too long ago. I bet they'd have the best chance a making a come-back.