Favorite Div 2 Show in 05

I figured since we hadn't had one of those threads where we can all brag about how good our corps is.

So, which show did you enjoy most this year?

I'm from ECJ - I didn't really get to see many other corps this year, so I'm going to reserve my judgment for when I get the DVDs. But people that did see other corps' show - who'd you like the most?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impulse

yeah, actually, now that you mention it, i saw them from the side at one show, and they looked like they were having a lot of fun. i loved the cymbals doing cartwheels as they marched off.

I've heard just about all the div 2 corps either from the show this summer, or preseason recordings.

So here they are:

AND yes I'm including my own corps b/c i actually got to hear the show from the outside for the first time last week.

1. Oregon Crusaders

2. Teal Sound

3. East Coast Jazz

4. Spartans

5. Memphis Sound

6. Blue Stars

7. Impulse

8. Jersey Surf

9. Fever

EDIT: Of the 9 corps there were 4 original show. I LOVED THEM ALL

Edited by MelloHorn13

*Disclaimer* I marched Memphis. I didn't see/hear shows from: East Coast Jazz, Fever, or Jersey Surf.

This may be a little long, but just bare with me. Imagine if I had seen all 8 corps...yeah, it would be a lot longer. lol Anyway, now that I have that out of the way...

One show I *really* enjoyed (musically) was OC. The concept, the hornline, and the guard really kept my attention throughout the entire show. I wasn't diggin' the front ensemble writing (sorry Carl! :( ), but I *did* like the energy and attention to detail.

The first few times I heard Teal's show, I honestly didn't like it. But the later on in the season and the more times I was able to hear it waiting to step-off, in the lot, etc., it really grew on me. I especially liked the "fire" noises...cool stuff -- and a pretty solid drumline to back it up. Like with OC though, the front ensemble part didn't really do that much for me, a few too many unison parts and segments...but it definitely didn't distract from their performance. Awesome job this year, the improvements made from last year were immense. Congrats on a great show Teal!

Blue Stars...huge hornline. lol When I heard the numbers they were marching this summer, I expected to be BLOWN away -- literally. Unfortunately...I wasn't. BUT...It's more than likely because I was hearing them from far, right-back field after we just left the field for Divisional Showcase in K-Zoo. One thing I did notice though...the marching. Freakin' sweet stuff going on in visual and execution! :rolleyes: I didn't get to hear a lot of their show, but what I did hear I enjoyed. (Side note: Grand Finals Retreat - if you ever want to really experience how incredibly classy of an organization this is, check BS lining up for and during retreat.)

I'm not going to say a whole lot about the Spartans, because honestly...and no offense to anyone...I don't remember a whole lot from the show. I remember the guard being on top of their stuff and I did see their pit warming up in the lot a few times -- some really good stuff happening there. I didn't really enjoy the horn book all that much...it was clean, obviously, but I didn't enjoy it personally. Drumline - also didn't notice all that much during the show, but if they played it anywhere like they played their cadence or in the lot then I'm sure it was tight as ****.

Impulse - CRAZY. lol As usual...Loved the cymbal visuals and everything in between, don't remember a lot about the hornline but their drumline was throwing down a ton of notes and throwing them down really well. I can't even begin to imagine how fun it must be to perform with that group, you can feel the energy the second they step into the stadium. Definitely a step up, in my opinion, from last year's show. Not just a better performance because of the energy, but the whole program as a whole sticks out above last year's in my opinion. The jam session with the battery in Pittsfield (??) was insane. B)

In the end, my top 5 (excluding my own corps, East Coast Jazz, Fever and Jersey Surf) are as follows:

1. Oregon Crusaders - Loved the show, the concept, the music, etc.

2. Teal Sound - The show grew on me the more times I heard it.

3. Impulse - Just plain fun!

4. & 5. *Tie* Blue Stars & Spartans - Blue Stars, only because I didn't get to hear a whole lot of the show and because of where I was positioned the sound was pretty distorted and muted. Spartans, only because the music didn't really keep my attention this year...

Please remember these are just MY opinions and personal taste. Everyone, including the Div. III, at Grand Finals had an AMAZING package this summer. Top to bottom...Div. II AND III was a forced to be reckon with this summer. There's no telling what next year will bring...

Congrats East Coast Jazz, Spartans and Raiders on finishing the season on top!

Good luck to Blue Stars in Div. I - you guys deserve it.

I really didn't get to see any Div. 2 action cuz' I was warming up or at the gate. I was in Spartans. So mostly I got to hear people in the lot, or at the gate. lol

OC: I adored the show. Great music, it always got me pumped if they were on before us. The hornline as usual was the jewel in this corps' crown. The members were classy, and I haven't met one yet I don't like. I can't wait for the DVD to see it all together.

Memphis: Didn't see or hear too much. From what I heard, the hornline sounded more mature than previous years. The only part I ever got to hear was a 30 second or so finale to either the opener or show or something. It sounded cool. Sorry, but that's all I ever heard. I'll see it on the DVD though. :)

Fever: Never saw it. Heard only bits. I got the impression from my parents though that it was dark. So much so it bordered on too dark. Once again, I'll probably change my opinion upon seeing the DVD.

ECJ: Never saw it, cuz' we were either on the field, or they're on right before us. I thought the hornline was really powerful though for 36. They had alot of presence. Their DL warmed up near us in the lot at Finals. Good stuff. Really tight.

Teal: I was a little biased of course. My alma mater did quite well. The best hornline that has ever come out of that corps. They also were smaller, but had power that could make larger lines blush. Tyler turned out a sick DL as expected. I never saw the show, though I trust they moved as well or better than 04'. The music was okay. The times I heard it it seemed redundant.

Blue Stars: Never saw it. Heard it twice. I liked the FF7 music. Very cool. They did a good job of conveying it on the field. The DL was nice, and had that unique BS sound. The horns seemed young. Alot of intonation problems, and not as much sound as I expected them to have.

Impulse: It sounded really awesome. The material fit the corps to a T. The hornline was incredible, lots of talent there. The guard uni's were somewhat creepy looking in a dark alley... But nonetheless they were a talented group.

Surf: Never got to see them. :( I really wanted to, my parents adored this show. I'll have ot wait for the DVD I guess.

Spartans: Well this would be biased indeed? Either way I loved performing this show. Without a doubt the most demanding horn book I've played. One of the most demanding visual books I've marched. That's what happens when you go from a top 3 Div. 3 to a top 3 Div 2. huh?

I wasn't diggin' the front ensemble writing (sorry Carl! :( ), but I *did* like the energy and attention to detail.

To be quite honest, neither did I. Wasn't too challenging so I started getting a little bit bored with it later in the season, but it was still fun. :sshh: No offense taken!

Of the shows I got to see or hear (I marched ECJ myself, I can't put me up, haven't heard a recording outside of percussion tapes yet), I'd have to put Blue Stars up on top followed by Spartans. Blue Stars (though I don't entirely agree with the arrangements) had great musical selection, and they were powerful. Spartans, what a dark sound... like Phantom/SCV style. More SCV I guess, because Key's music all sounds the same to me.

Go you guys!