Corps Bashing

Do you people understand how much work people put into these shows? How can you bash the Cadets? The Caviliers? Or the Blue Devils? Say that they are huge let downs? I mean... I sort of expect this fromt he immature audiences in the Div II/III category that bash the top two corps East Coast Jazz and Spartans but most definitely in the Div I catregory.

You say the concept of Cadets is not what you expect and are let downs? Have you talked to a member or a staff member and asked about there show? The design concept and the show and what they try to accomplish can be explained and makes more sense when you talk to a member of the corps about what the show is all about. I know that after the show I didnt understand Cadets or Blue Devils! But after talking to memeber sand asking what there show was all about I understood it and what they were doing with their drill design. That is what Staff does to the judges, they explain their show, and the judges then make sense of it and look for it the next time they see them.

And calling corps a let down? I would like to see you say that to a corps members face! <**> you wouldnt cuz you would get that negative attitude smacked off your face. I know that people have their own opinions, but say, "I didnt like this show.", or "It wasnt for me." Dont say that "Caviliers Blue devils and Cadets were huge let downs.

I would think that if you are going to take the time to write a review, that you be pleasant and not so negative. Once you become so condenscending about a corps show, everyone who enjoyed that show or the members that read automatically are going to ignore everything you said! And I dont think anyone is going to want to waste time on a review to have it ignored.

Please...stop with the negativity. Everyone will appreciate it...even the people who YOU "let down" by saying that they "let you down" No offense people... but what a ######## thing to say!

Forum admin note: I changed the phrase that circumvented the language code. <== Mike

Edited by MikeD

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you people understand how much work people put into these shows? How can you bash the Cadets? The Caviliers? Or the Blue Devils? Say that they are huge let downs? I mean... I sort of expect this fromt he immature audiences in the Div II/III category that bash the top two corps East Coast Jazz and Spartans but most definitely in the Div I catregory.

Not sure why it would be expected from the II/III category...it's wrong anywhere, IMO.

Mike

I agree as well...but given that Div II and III house generally younger crowds... You just see it more... I never would have thought i would see it here

Sadly, it's even worse here...by people who ought to know better, IMO!

So I want to get Dudes idea straight in my mind. I get in my car on a hot July night, I drive 2 hours to the nearest drum corps show, I pay a parking fee, I pay a huge amount of money to get me, my wife, and my two kids into the show, I buy a boatload of food (if you can call it that) at a concession stand, I buy a few souvenirs....and yet, I'm not entitled to say the Blue Devils were a let down this year?

I'm curious as to why you think so? Because as a reviewer of shows out here in southern California, I put myself and my opinion on the line every year because I CHOOSE to put out my opinion about what I see and hear. A few years back, I was "let down" by a certain aspect of the Renegades. This past season, I was "let down" by what I saw from Santa Clara Vanguard, and PARTICULARY distressed at some choices made by some adults running the Jester Drum and Bugle Corps.

Was that wrong of me?

I'm not sure what your point is. What you are describing seems to me to have NOTHING to do with bashing.

Indeed. There is a big difference between mindless "bashing" of a corps ("I hate Corps X, they're the worst ever, I hope they fold, their directors sucks," etc.) and criticizing the product they put on the field. Just as any member of a sports team, an orchestra or a theatre troup ought to be prepared to have their product critically eyed, so should drum corps. I, too, was severely let down by some of what I saw this year (much in agreement with Mr. Turner above me) and said as much. I wasn't bashing anyone, and much of it was about corps that I've held dear since before I marched. But some performances I saw this year left me compelled to speak very critically of them, and that's part of the purpose of this forum. There's plenty of room for discussion and disagreement, but there's nothing wrong with criticizing a corps' performance or design.

I completly agree with Dudes words.

If you have a problem with a corps show and want to say they "let you down", and gripe about how you had to lug yourself to a show, and buy stuff, then that makes me laugh. If you think the corps is so much of a let down then don't watch them. I'm sure they don't care about your opinion. Another thing is you believe they were a let down then how about u start your own corps, and do better. THose kids put there heart and souls into there show, and for you to come on this board and give them a negative review like that is mean and unfair.

Geoff

I completly agree with Dudes words.

If you have a problem with a corps show and want to say they "let you down", and gripe about how you had to lug yourself to a show, and buy stuff, then that makes me laugh. If you think the corps is so much of a let down then don't watch them. I'm sure they don't care about your opinion. Another thing is you believe they were a let down then how about u start your own corps, and do better. THose kids put there heart and souls into there show, and for you to come on this board and give them a negative review like that is mean and unfair.

Geoff

thats right, let em not care. and when fans stop coming because they're tired of being told their opinion doesnt count, we'll see how you like playing to empty stadiums.

fans are a PAYING customer that, like someone going to see a rock concert, are entitled to have an opinion to comment on that which they just PAID to see.

sure DCI is about the kids ( and the endorsement deals after reading the new DCW), but without the fans paying to put their ##### in the seats, you're just losing money and playing to empty stadiums.

People have the right to be honest about how they feel and what they think, right or wrong. Performers must have a thick skin. If some little write up on a newsgroup gets you so bent out of shape, then maybe the performing arts aren't for you. Criticism is the life's blood of creativity. Get used to it because it only gets worse.

If a show needs to be explained in order to be effective, then in my opinion it's not very well designed. Consider mainstream theater works or symphonies. They either stand on their own merit or they don't last long. Does some one come up to the audience after a Cirque du Soleil show or a Broadway musical or a NY Phil concert and explain it to the audience? Of course not. You may or may not understand the show, but that's irrelevant. The show either works on an emotional level or it doesn't. People like it and buy a ticket or they don't. Simple as that. That's the real world.

IMO, corps should let their shows do the talking. Judges should critique them. If the judges don't get it, then someone in the audience probably doesn't get it either. In that way judges do the corps a disservice by separating them from their audience. The judge has inside information that the audience doesn't have. How then can an audience ever agree with the judge?

Sometimes people go too far and overstate their point. I'm probably guilty of that from time to time. Others go to the opposite extreme and try to pretend that everything is perfect all the time. Either is a perversion of reality. But, it all comes from a passion for the activity. I would never say anything here that I wouldn't say to your face in uniform. You may whack me for it, but it's my hospital bill!