Corps Bashing

I completly agree with Dudes words.

If you have a problem with a corps show and want to say they "let you down", and gripe about how you had to lug yourself to a show, and buy stuff, then that makes me laugh. If you think the corps is so much of a let down then don't watch them. I'm sure they don't care about your opinion. Another thing is you believe they were a let down then how about u start your own corps, and do better. THose kids put there heart and souls into there show, and for you to come on this board and give them a negative review like that is mean and unfair.

Geoff

Geoff, my friend, you personally have no room to speak when it comes to bashing corps.

Respon to thread:

I've never seen any seriuos bashing here on DCP. I've seen people criticize. We're all here b/c we love drum corps. If it was just personal bashing on who a corps sucked or whatever, I'm sure the thread would get closed ASAP.

And what makes you think that the people of the 2/3 are immature. We do the same thing everyother corps does and we do a deal of posting in the div 1 forum also. I think you meant to say, you see more "bashing" in the 2/3 b/c the people don't thinf much of us other than little wanna-be corps.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm.... no. Now back to the topic and my .02. I don't think that fans should bash a corps. I don't mind the statement, "I just didn't like that show". That statement is my opinion about the Blue Devil's 2005 program, I just didn't like the music nor the drill. Now, onto the real bashing of corps. In both DCI and DCA (I know, this is a "Junior Corps" Forum, but this is all inclusive), corps are being judged not by product, but scores and prestige. I know of fans who go out and audition for Junior Corps, but when they don't make it and I tell them about Shenandoah Sound, they laugh at me and tell me that they'll only march with a "champion" Drum Corps, not a "lesser" drum corps with little chances. Now this gets me thinking. "What is a "Champion" Drum Corps? Is it a corps that has at least one title to their name with the best staff they could afford? Or is it a corps who goes out, no matter what happens, and does the job regardless of judges scores?" If the latter is true, then aren't we all in a way "Champion" Drum corps? Who's to say that the unforunate corps in the lower tiers of DCI and DCA wouldn't become better with more people wanting to march to say, "I marched with this corps from "so-and-so" year to this year and I didn't get a title, but I don't care about it, I'm just happy to march." What is the problem with the kids who do not audition for DCI corps in general? If you live near a corps of any type, DCI or DCA, then at least give them the opportunity to see you and to let you know what they are about. Who knows? If you can't march DCI just yet, then take DCA and have a very limited schedule as a "weekend warrior" while getting the experience that all get from marching. That is what ticks me off about some of the players who are around the Drum Corps area who don't look at all available options for marching. Just a thought from a fellow marcher who wants to see the activity grow in all areas.

It seems to me the majority of the corps who get "bashed" or a regular basis are the leaders/winners of the activity. Just count the number of bashes against the Cadets or BD vs. corps on the other end of the spectrum such as Kiwanis or the Pioneers. Perhaps jealousy or envy may have something to do with it? Just my honest observation.

.. Now, onto the real bashing of corps. In both DCI and DCA (I know, this is a "Junior Corps" Forum, but this is all inclusive), corps are being judged not by product, but scores and prestige. I know of fans who go out and audition for Junior Corps, but when they don't make it and I tell them about Shenandoah Sound, they laugh at me and tell me that they'll only march with a "champion" Drum Corps, not a "lesser" drum corps with little chances. Now this gets me thinking. "What is a "Champion" Drum Corps? Is it a corps that has at least one title to their name with the best staff they could afford? Or is it a corps who goes out, no matter what happens, and does the job regardless of judges scores?" If the latter is true, then aren't we all in a way "Champion" Drum corps? Who's to say that the unforunate corps in the lower tiers of DCI and DCA wouldn't become better with more people wanting to march to say, "I marched with this corps from "so-and-so" year to this year and I didn't get a title, but I don't care about it, I'm just happy to march." ..That is what ticks me off about some of the players who are around the Drum Corps area who don't look at all available options for marching. Just a thought from a fellow marcher who wants to see the activity grow in all areas.

The above message was heavily edited..

Scott,

Thanks for making me think about this a little bit. I think that was your underlying point.

I share your perspective on being a small corps that just wants to perform and do as well as they can. You are totally right, to me and to most DCA type fans, You are champions. Most people have no idea how much money and effort it takes to put a show on the field, and they never will know, because of obvious reasons. Thats just the nature of the game.

That said, it also should be pointed out that DCI and DCA are just apples and oranges. I know that sounds cliche' , but its true. We offer totally different products, and thats a good thing. There are a lot of people marching in DCA that have no interest in marching in DCI, for whatever reason. The same is true of the reverse.

The good news is there is plenty of room for both of us. There are plenty of talented people out there that really want to march, and do this crazy drum corps stuff. DCA and DCI can both grow as much as they want, and there are fans out there to support us. I point to the ratings bonanza that espn had with their DCI production as evidence.

The sky is not the limit for the growth of our activity.

I wish Shenandoah Sound the very best of luck next year and look forward to seeing you at Rochester in 2006!

It seems to me the majority of the corps who get "bashed" or a regular basis are the leaders/winners of the activity. Just count the number of bashes against the Cadets or BD vs. corps on the other end of the spectrum such as Kiwanis or the Pioneers. Perhaps jealousy or envy may have something to do with it? Just my honest observation.

Or maybe not enough so called "fans of the activity" even pay attention to corps not in the top 12 to form an opinion of their shows.

s/ Guy who has been there in the Sr circuits <gripe off>

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

I dont think i made it clear... I am all for your opinion... but you dont have to word in such a way that could be taken as offensive...Think of it this way... if you are going to write something about a corps... think about what you are going to say...

imagine a member is standing rigth in front of you from that corps...

Would you say that to there face?

that is all... just dont be so... heartless... again... focussing on all the work people put into show concepts...

But your definition of "offensive" in your first post was "criticizing a show." We don't allow flaming, but simply stating your opinion about a show, especially in a review, is hardly offensive.

I dont think i made it clear... I am all for your opinion... but you dont have to word in such a way that could be taken as offensive...Think of it this way... if you are going to write something about a corps... think about what you are going to say...

imagine a member is standing rigth in front of you from that corps...

Would you say that to there face?

I have done so and it has been done to me, both with no ill effect. Drum corps members are more mature than you give them credit for. They understand some people will have issues with their show. If somebody is as thin skinned as you're concerned about, they're going to have a tough time in life, not just in drum corps.

that is all... just dont be so... heartless... again... focussing on all the work people put into show concepts...

How about not being so...PC...and giving people credit for having emotional stability. The same stability that allows them to go away from home for the summer and work their butts off 8-12 hours a day.

I agree. I would even go as far as to say that it is a bit tame at times ehre on DCP. We're all adults, and even the 14 year olds who march are adults by the end;) Why discuss at all if you can't be honest?