Corps Bashing

Wow i really got you guys all fired up... all i ask is that you rephrase your statements and still... <**>

P.s. I was always taught to get my mouth shut by my director of my corps. That is what makes me have class and the bigger person. I can appreciate any show for waht they are attempting. I may not like it and they may "let me down" but i would never verbalize that. And stop talking about being PC. That aggrevates me.....this whole post aggrvates me... this thread has done nothing but anger me. You people on here squabling and such.

b**bs <--- my face of utter excitment

here's the key...many of us have toned down our statements. even then we get told we're kid bashing.

sorry if i am going to trash the kids, i'll say it. otherwise it's all adults

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.s. I was always taught to get my mouth shut by my director of my corps. That is what makes me have class and the bigger person.

My, someone has a high opinion of themselves, don't they?

I can appreciate any show for waht they are attempting. I may not like it and they may "let me down" but i would never verbalize that. And stop talking about being PC. That aggrevates me.....

If you don't want us to talk about being PC, then don't suggest it. What you suggest is EXACTLY what PC IS. I used to think like you, in 2004 when I was marching, I refused to look at any other viewpoint. People should be happy happy or just shut up! Then I got over it. When people had something to say about my show, it was about THE SHOW. No one ever came up to me and said: "Yeah, Brandon, you totally suck."

But perhaps we should ascribe to your 1984 mentality:

Nothing is bad. Everything is good. I love big brother.

this whole post aggrvates me... this thread has done nothing but anger me. You people on here squabling and such.

You started the thread chief. It angers ME when people immaturely blow things out of proportion while claiming to take the higher ground, but then, thats just me I guess...

You bash because you can. So what! For you younguns out there it started before I got into corps in 1969 and it will continue. Just like HS, college or professional sports...it happens. Big Deal!!!

Its truly a shame that dudes is such a hothouse flower that he or she cant abide anything that may put a dent in his or her evidently very fragile self esteem.

Here's a little nugget for you dudes for you to file away somewhere: Most of us have been where you are so wecan say that in general, when youre a part of something its very different to see it critically. In the case of drumcorps sometimes it takes years and emotional distance to see that some of the criticisms of your group are often valid. This is a fairly informed population here on DCP, most with experience in and around the activity. Most of whats said even when its contrary comes from an informed perspective. I daresay the kids marching now are the ones with the least amount of it. And this in no way demeans or devalues what you do, it simply points out that perspective and experience and maturity dont usually have shortcuts.

All of us honor and respect the effort and energy that kids in drumcorps today put into it. Many of us are still doing it as part of staffs or in DCA corps. But as the paying customer, the group to which you look for approval, we do have the right to offer our opinions on the finished product. That some would think we dont is unfathomable to me. And if it seems a little harsh to you well all I can say is nothing in life affords you the unconditional approval you seem to think youre entitled to in drumcorps. Wait a few years and see how non judgmental life is, youll will be in for a rude shock.

In any case, if someone says something about your corps you dont like, tell him theyre full of it. Just dont try to tell them they cant say it.

Some of us have been admiring, appreciating, supporting, playing with and teaching DCI D1 corps for 30 years, so when you grow up and look back you will understand that although no one disputes the talent or effort put out by any individual-there is still a certain expectation of quality and integrity from the front office. There is no "corps bashing".

Thursday night finals...

"In second place with a score of 95.625, 95.625 from Malden, Ma....."

BTMF... that is all...

BTMF...for anyone who isn't aware means Beat the ###### #######, in reference to ECJ. This appears to be corps bashing as well. In fact, the Spartans had this on their white board near their food truck for Finals Week. Dudes, I would call that corps bashing before I would say exercising one's opinion on a particular corps’ show is "bashing"

Edited for filter circumvention -KM

You bash because you can. So what! For you younguns out there it started before I got into corps in 1969 and it will continue. Just like HS, college or professional sports...it happens. Big Deal!!!

Good point. My whole take on this stuff is; If someone is not civilized or intelligent enough to speak politely or thoughtfully about someone else or a group, why even take them seriously? If they obviously cannot handle something as simple as being polite, they probably don't have any idea what they are talking about in the first place, and their ideas about your group are based on being irrational, thus wrong :P

I feel the same way about BD 03. And I have spoken to some members of BD about this just fine. It can be done, you just gotta be polite:)

I did not like 2005 Blue Devils. Personal preference. That's all. I have nothing but respect for: the marching members, management, staff and all other people involved with the organization. But I did not like their show. That's not bashing; just one person's opinion.

well ya had me til staff...specifically design staff :P