Corps Bashing

We have to remember that the current marching members and recent age-outs are from the same generation. These kids are products of the "everybody wins" mindset. Hence, if someone has anything even slightly negative to say of them, their group, or their beliefs, then that is a personal confrontation. Since they rarely have to acknowledge losing or negativity (read critisism), they strike back.

"Don't they know how hard the kids have worked???" Yes. Most people here worked that hard for years. Did we suck? One year in particular, yes. Did the show suck? Yes. We knew when our program was awful, and if someone said that, we agreed. But did we then need to pack up and quit. Hardly. We did our best with the program the managers gave us. Critiques of the program, music, or concept was not a personal affront to the members.

Many corps have 'let me down'. They did not have a show that stood up to my expectations. Often that is because I had high expectations to begin with, developed through many years of excellence from that corps. I refuse to praise mediocracy merely because some whiner might feel bad.

Div II/III are immature? Please. Read the first post for a more accurate definition.

well said

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i do a review, i state how the corps did, if they had issues or not. sometimes i allow my opinion to come into play, but i try to word it so it isnt too damaging, because anymore, i've found that people can read anything into anything and make a mountain out of a molehill

I think you are still promoting your views, which is your right Mike, and ignoring the thread....there is a difference between corps bashing and a negative review....as a judge you should know this....you have at times given negative reviews as well if you are a judge so you should understand....many here do accept new ideas, but are not convinced that all new ideas are immune from negative reviews....you do a disservice to some of the youth who post here by promoting the us vs them mentality....as an adult you should understand that this is not an accurate reflection of life....criticism comes and goes...some negative, some constructive

B)

My reply was geared to this post that I had quoted in my reply:

I would rather play in an empty stadium than play for a crowd of bitter old farts that want to tell me that what I do is not drum corps anymore because I march with a Bb trumpet or because my corps uses amps. If that was some sort of threat... It doesnt bother me one bit. I'm also sure that you speak for DCI's entire fan base... not.

I am not promoting an "us vs them mentality"...the exact opposite. While I think that sort of thing seems to be particularly prevalent on these forums at times, I in no way think that in reality there is much of that...which is what I said.

I have no issue with people making negative reviews...which as you say is not the same as mindless bashing, be it for a single corps or drum corps in general. You don't like something because of reason X? Fine. I may disagree and reply...that's what a forum is for.

What is bashing to me? These mindless sorts of things...

"Corps X stinks"

"DCI has ruined junior drum corps"

"Amps suck"

"Dancing guards are ridiculous"

"Drummers don't drum anymore"

"Horn lines play like wimps"

Mike

My reply was geared to this post that I had quoted in my reply:

I am not promoting an "us vs them mentality"...the exact opposite. While I think that sort of thing seems to be particularly prevalent on these forums at times, I in no way think that in reality there is much of that...which is what I said.

I have no issue with people making negative reviews...which as you say is not the same as mindless bashing, be it for a single corps or drum corps in general. You don't like something because of reason X? Fine. I may disagree and reply...that's what a forum is for.

What is bashing to me? These mindless sorts of things...

"Corps X stinks"

"DCI has ruined junior drum corps"

"Amps suck"

"Dancing guards are ridiculous"

"Drummers don't drum anymore"

"Horn lines play like wimps"

Mike

Now that you made a list I would agree, however said with different wording can border on a "not so favorable" review as opposed to bashing.....I heard a judge once say on tape "this is just a bunch of crap"....won't say which corps he was referring to though :P

Edited by felixh

Let me get this straight,....if they get a negative review it is mean and unfair?

Let me try some intro logic. All mean and unfair comments are negative reviews. Not all negative reviews are mean and unfair. I'm posting this after you agreed with Mike's List 'o Bashes, so I think we're generally in agreement. But it's important to realize that while you (the general you) are allowed to write negative reviews, please don't be mean. Too often much of what is written, particularly regarding corps that have conspicuously used amps, is downright insulting. And then they cower under the shield of "I only meant to blast the designers!".

If I could speak to those people, I would acknowledge that they can write a negative review. But I would ask that they do a better job of keeping things civil. If you wouldn't say it to a marching members face after a show, maybe you'd better rephrase it before you post it on here. Too often people have used lines directly from Mike's List 'o Bashes, and I think that's what has people like myself and the original poster so fed up. Write negative reviews. Tell us that you didn't like the show. But please, have some respect - not just for the marching members, but for your peers as well who won't always agree with you.

Edited by Maedhros

Let me try some intro logic. All mean and unfair comments are negative reviews. Not all negative reviews are mean and unfair. I'm posting this after you agreed with Mike's List 'o Bashes, so I think we're generally in agreement. But it's important to realize that while you (the general you) are allowed to write negative reviews, please don't be mean. Too often much of what is written, particularly regarding corps that have conspicuously used amps, is downright insulting. And then they cower under the shield of "I only meant to blast the designers!".

If I could speak to those people, I would acknowledge that they can write a negative review. But I would ask that they do a better job of keeping things civil. If you wouldn't say it to a marching members face after a show, maybe you'd better rephrase it before you post it on here. Too often people have used lines directly from Mike's List 'o Bashes, and I think that's what has people like myself and the original poster so fed up. Write negative reviews. Tell us that you didn't like the show. But please, have some respect - not just for the marching members, but for your peers as well who won't always agree with you.

We are all guilty of this. Respect is a two-way street. What do you mean by the "general you"....is that some attempt at an insult?

We are all guilty of this. Respect is a two-way street. What do you mean by the "general you"....is that some attempt at an insult?

I think he means to include anyone who wants to write a negative review by saying "the general you" and not just referring to you, Felix, personally.

What does your comment about respect being a two-way street mean, specifically in how you intended it?

Mike

I think he means to include anyone who wants to write a negative review by saying "the general you" and not just referring to you, Felix, personally.

bingo :)

What does your comment about respect being a two-way street mean, specifically in how you intended it?

Mike

It's mutual respect. I have seen here at times that there are some forms of disrespect that are accepted and some that are frowned upon and attacked. Maybe we all have different ideas of what disrespect is....there are some comments that I have read that some find offensive, but do not even raise an eyebrow with me....your list of bashes are obviously disrespectful, yet others may not feel that way.

Edited by felixh

And calling corps a let down? I would like to see you say that to a corps members face! <**> you wouldnt cuz you would get that negative attitude smacked off your face. I know that people have their own opinions, but say, "I didnt like this show.", or "It wasnt for me." Dont say that "Caviliers Blue devils and Cadets were huge let downs.

[/color]

Done that. Sometime you just have to call a spade a spade.