Benefits of D2

The $1350 was the membership fee he'd have to pay for doing 2/3 of a full tour. He could march a Div 1 for much less and still tackle a full summer tour. I think that's what he's trying to say.

As for the orginal question, there may be a few benefits for a corps to stay Div 2. For one, they don't have to do a full tour, and thus can have membership fees that are significantly lower. They can remain competitive in their respective division instead of trying to make the push and only placing with the lower tier Div 1's (Not always the case I know, but as of late, yes). Another thing about the Div 2 experience that you don't normally get in a Div 1 is the family like vibe. What I loved about being in a small Div 3 corps was that I knew EVERYONE in the entire corps. First and last names, where they were from, how old they were, etc... This year I knew almost everyones names, but there were some people in the corps whom I never talked to. I'd imagine that in a Div 1 with 135 members, there wouldn't be the family vibe.

Edited by Carl306

Benefits of Div II? It is easier for students to enhance their abilities when they get more attention in my opinion. I could go to a Big 10 school, but instead, I know I can become better by going to the 2nd division school I am right now. I know quite a few corps in D2 and 3 are more about education than entertainment. Look at Patriots...around $150 tour fees, simply because they were more about education. I know from experience that it is easier to learn more when you have more attention and get extra hands on experience.

... all you've got to do is count all the various corps who've moved up from D2 (or Class A) over the years and then within a handful of seasons promptly folded. :(

vaguardguy, you make some great points. I agree with all you wrote.

Also, to be competitive in D1 you have to have a nationwide recruiting base. I'm guessing that most D2/3 corps still draw most of their members from within a relatively local area, right? That definitely gives them more of a "comminity based" feel, which can't hurt.

Well, personally, I don't buy the "family" comment between D1 and D2. I have no doubt that D3 is a "closer group", but you put 100+ in a group, and irrespective of the division, it'll feel a little less personal. If anything, D1 spends more time together than D2...

Well, personally, I don't buy the "family" comment between D1 and D2. I have no doubt that D3 is a "closer group", but you put 100+ in a group, and irrespective of the division, it'll feel a little less personal. If anything, D1 spends more time together than D2...

I can see your point there.

If anything, D1 spends more time together than D2...

How? I'll use my corps for example - one weekend camp a month, move-in end of May or first week of June, (about) 2 weeks of "everydays" then 2 months of touring (28 shows). We started tour on opening day (June 18th, Oswego, IL) and ended at Grand Finals (August 14th). Granted, not every Div. II corps does a "full" tour, but there are those that do. So yes, maybe some Div. I's spend more time than some Div. II's...but there are those that do full tours and everydays just like Div. I. Also, don't forget, those that aren't doing full tours practice during the week as well.

there are some D2 and 3 corps that practice from 7 in the morning to 10 at night...so please don't look at the general statement of "weekend" practices, some have alldays/everydays too. Heh, even some high schools here in the state of Texas practice from 8 to 8 with long breaks for lunch and dinner.

the $1,350 is put twords tour fee, meals, and transportation, yes. BUT you also have to factor in audition fee's (75 dollars) spending money for tour (at least 200 dollars,) shoes, gloves, Transportation to and from camps (I live about 10 hour drive from Jacksonville... or I could do round trip flights... for 200+)

It's alot of money.

~>conner