Explain VK scores to a brass guy.

WOW!!! Great to see Brent posting up here...HI BUDDY!!! And Brent really is absolutely right when he said...

To me, and probably most other VK vets it's just that we had a great time, gave a lot a people some entertainment, and worked real hard at being as good as we could be, every year.

I've attempted to carry on that legacy ever since then within my own little way when I'm teaching band. I try to get the kids to concentrate on being the best they can and "feel" the elation of crowd response, and let ME and the staff worry about "competitiveness".

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim,

You've still yet to say who '92 VK should have been ahead of.

I always go back to "You have to be good to be funny". VK ripped the stadium apart that night in 1992. But they didn't do it consistently all summer. Watch the entire Finals from 1992 when you can. . . it's a riot. . . the whole night just kept getting better and better.

best,

Chuck Naffier

Chuck,

I couldn't say who VK should have or have not been ahead of in 1992. Quite frankly, I think this board has shown me that maybe they finished where they should have. I just cannot say because I don't remember the shows from 1992 that well (or in some cases at all).

Your second statement above makes a lot of sense to me. Obviously, VK was good enough to make finals in 1992. That is an accomplishment no matter how you look at it. And since I was not there, you saying the "ripped the staduim apart" that night -- I'll take your view of it. I highly respect you and your opinion and I was not there.

I do believe my question has been answered.

Personal note:

Chuck is a great guy for those who do not know him. I have always been a pretty good arranger. I have arranged lots of things for brass choirs, wind bands, church ensembles, etc. My first attempt to write something for a drum corps was a learning experience. Chuck was kind enough to listen to my arrangement and give some constructive criticism. It was extremely helpful. Just another example of how the drum corps community is a great community (now there will always be SOME people who are always negative).

Jim

Edited by MUSICandCHARACTER

WOW!!! Great to see Brent posting up here...HI BUDDY!!! And Brent really is absolutely right when he said...

I've attempted to carry on that legacy ever since then within my own little way when I'm teaching band. I try to get the kids to concentrate on being the best they can and "feel" the elation of crowd response, and let ME and the staff worry about "competitiveness".

Hey Ryan,

I am just trying to follow in your footsteps, you always say just the right thing in your posts. Hope everything is well for you.

• 4 months later...

What an interesting thread, sorry I caught it late.

I was there in 92 in the red and white, and to be frank, we were 10th. Except for a week before Preview of Champions, we were 10th all year. Slotted from the start. In my 6 years at VK, it was the most fun I'd had, and that seems to be what we were rewarded for, but our execution was not as good as it could have been. The horn line had alot of cleaning left to do, the guard was pretty good, but you didn't get to see that much of them, they were too busy acting out the show, but they would do 500's every night for fun. It was Floats first year, so we had drummers coming out of the woodwork to drum with him, but the announcement was a little late, and it was VK coming off a 14 place finish the year before. In 93, we had over 500 show up for the first rehearsal, but 92 got off to a slow start.

Who should we have beat? Freelancers. No offence to any Freelancer vets out there, but as long as we beat Freelancers, it was a good year. Crossmen had a great show, and out played us most of the year. Blue Knights were interesting, and probably much cleaner, I never got to see them since we always went on near each other at shows we were both at. There was no way we were going to beat SCV, due to Royers last year, and that they were SCV. Not quite a fact, but if VK beat you for the first time, usually you corps folded soon after, (Bridgemen, 27, Suncoast, Kingsmen). We nearly beat Cadets early on the east coast somewhere, but then they pulled away like they always did. I still believe that if there had been another show, Cadets would have won finals that year.

But that was just a flat out great year for DCI. And for VK especially. I'll never forget it.

Joe "SPAM" Miller

VK 90-95, 06

Staff Guy

The Velvet Knights also worked WAY harder then ANYBODY else, I guess because of some of the "iffy" things they did maybe some of the judges were against it and didn't like it :peek:

Um . . . no.

have you read any of this thread yet? I'm sure VK worked AS HARD as the top 9 corps that year, I very much highly doubt that any corps worked WAY harder than anybody else . . .

Um . . . no.

have you read any of this thread yet? I'm sure VK worked AS HARD as the top 9 corps that year, I very much highly doubt that any corps worked WAY harder than anybody else . . .

How many camps of theirs did you attend as a guest?

Actually, VK's best/funniest/most entertaining moments happened when they took serious music and added the gags...

1988: Malaguena - the classical/guitar version, not Madison's...very dramatic & serious, then BAM!!! Here comes the Bull. Best drum corps gag EVER!!! (IMHO)...

And, what about JAWS? Not particularly funny, but the genesis for many gags!

I never particularly found the cartoon music, or even the David Lee Roth particularly funny. Cute, but not funny.

VK's best stuff, like Bridgemen and even Jersey Surf, happened when they were playing serious music, and then hit you with the gags. Kinda like comedy, in general...

VK was a great corps in 1992, but as was previously stated, that was one kick butt year in the activity. Definitely one of the top three best of all time. They were a tenth place corps that summer, but considering the caliber of shows in the top 12 that summer, that was a dog gone good place to be.