1992 Cadets drum major Dave Roulier, 13 years later

The meeting the drum major was a part of the broadcast from '91 (if not earlier) to '94

*insert name(s) here*

Drum major(s) for *insert corps name here*

*insert corps director's name here*

Then a couple of words about the show you were about to see

Yeah, and they actually filmed it on Quarterfinals night. I'll never forget gathering around with Kevin Feeney and Dustin Winslow along with Roderick and taping it right after it had started to rain, and not long before they would call the show. Kevin (Madison's DM) said he wanted to go on tape and say "Hi, I'm Kevin Feeney, drum major for the Madison Scouts...by the way, I am wet, it's too hot, and Finals should be in Madison. Thank you."

Not sure if I actually miss it on the DVDs....at least my former students were never able to see me on it. :P

Yeah, and they actually filmed it on Quarterfinals night. I'll never forget gathering around with Kevin Feeney and Dustin Winslow along with Roderick and taping it right after it had started to rain, and not long before they would call the show. Kevin (Madison's DM) said he wanted to go on tape and say "Hi, I'm Kevin Feeney, drum major for the Madison Scouts...by the way, I am wet, it's too hot, and Finals should be in Madison. Thank you."

Not sure if I actually miss it on the DVDs....at least my former students were never able to see me on it. :P

I agree with Kevin....I would have no problem if Madison were made the permanent site for Finals

1990, actually, although there may have been one or two of the top 6 that didn't do it, as I recall.

Yeah all I had of '90 was the highlights broadcast which didn't show that at all

And of course the Legacy DVD doesn't show that at all

I've watched the 1992 broacast so many times that I know all the DM's first and last names.

"I'm Joanna Allen."

(in east coast accent)

"And I'm Dave Roulier, wea the drum majas of the Cadets of Boigen County, Hackensack New Joizy."

"Our Corps Director is Mr. George Hopkins."

"Oua 1992 repetwah is "To Tame the Perilous Skies", by David Holingah. Watch us fly!"

edit: forgot about "repetwah" and "Holsingah"

It's funny how different parts of the country have these unique dialects. When I was in the Military we used to laugh at this. We came from all over as kids and were only used to our own region's dialects. People in Boston never used an " R ". And when folks from Wisconsin spoke we all chuckled as folks from this region seemed to want to put " R's "where there wern't any. They told us they were from the state of " WisCARNsin ". The service people from Minnesota seemed to ask us a question when they told us where they were from. I had a buddy in the Service from " Minnetonka, Minnesota " But he pronounced it " Minneso...TA ? His voice rising to a question level as the end of " Minneso..TA ? " as he ended the state's name. We'd chuckle and ask him why he was asking us a question when he told us where he was from. Wasn't he sure ? ( haha ). And the movie " Fargo " was simply a riot regarding the North and South Dakota dialects portrayed in that movie......." ie " yaar, ( voicing agreement ) ..... yarr tink ?... Jeez ". And the Jersey guys called the address " 14th Jersey Turnpike Circle ", "14th Joisey Turnpike Soycle ", We had such a time ribbing one another.

Edited by X DM

I still remember when I was in band (Dave was our marching tech) wondering why, when Dave mentioned the "gahd" (the guard), he was bringing religion into the issue.

I still remember when I was in band (Dave was our marching tech) wondering why, when Dave mentioned the "gahd" (the guard), he was bringing religion into the issue.

He would have been much better off to pronounce it correctly. As we know, it's pronounced " Color Garr.. ed ". Said quickly..... as in " ColorGuarred ". Guy from Boston was asked what he did with his " R's ". Did he lose them ? No, he said. He said he felt bad for a guy in " WisCARN sin ", so he gave him a few to use, and he likes them so much he uses them in every word now ( haha... just kiddin' ya )

Edited by X DM

:lolhit:

• 10 years later...

This is a very old post but I was looking him up because I was watching the DCI Quarterfinals from 92 and the announcer Brandt Crocker said "Drum Majors Doug Rulay and Joanna Allen, is your corps ready?"

I marched Cadets that in 92 but I didn't remember that. I was probably pretty awestruck at quarters.

I think the Brandt got it right by finals but at semis he said "Dave Rulay" so he was closer.

Dave was a great guy and an incredible drum major. My first experience with him at the first rehearsal in the fall of 91, He called a bunch of us over to bring "cahts" (instruments carts) in from the truck. I was out there looking for sleeping cots.