Old Senior Corps Pictures

PS - Rich I checked out the Red Devils on dbcna.com and they only have Red Devils and San Jose. No years or Jr/Sr. Jeez, you might be one of the few to know about this corps.

Thanks Jim,

That little mention on dbcna.com was the ONLY thing I could find about the corps on the net. Looking at the corps picture it's obvious that many members were in their 30's and 40's, so I'm pretty sure it's a senior corps. I'll have the pic up soon as I am able.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winnek AL Post #396 Geneva, New York

WinickPost19302.jpg

A 1930 Photo. This corps later became known as the Geneva Appleknockers

Thanks Jim,

That little mention on dbcna.com was the ONLY thing I could find about the corps on the net. Looking at the corps picture it's obvious that many members were in their 30's and 40's, so I'm pretty sure it's a senior corps. I'll have the pic up soon as I am able.

American Legion didn't start the Junior corps (AKA - Sons of the American Legion) part of Championships until the mid 1930s so I'd say the Red Devils were Senior and possibly all WWI vets. Not too sure about AL rules on veteran membership in the corps back then.

And no problem on the help. I had someone on RAMD help me with my "ghost corps", the Booma Bombers of Portsmouth, NH. All I really knew is the name of the corps and the location of the AL Post. (My hotel was a mile away when I worked in Portsmouth a few years ago.) RAMD person remembered it was a small parade corps but couldn't remember if Sr or Jr.

Hey Bariforhire, were are you finding these gems??? Wow!!!!

Winnek AL Post #396 Geneva, New York

WinickPost19302.jpg

A 1930 Photo. This corps later became known as the Geneva Appleknockers

Wow.....The 1932 picture of the AL San Jose Red Devils Post #89 the uniforms are almost EXACTLY like in this picture!

Will have pic up soon............................be patient LOL

Archer-Epler VFW Post 979 of Upper Darby, PA

Archie40.jpg

I've got a DOOZY of a picture to show you guys, I haven't scanned it yet but when I do it'll be up here.

The other day I was at a customer's house (I do carpet & upholstery restoration) and I noticed this picture hanging in the garage, I talked with him about my own involvement with drum corps, kinda geeked out a little, and regardless of my refusals, he INSISTED that I keep the picture.

I have a full corps picture of American Legion Post #89, Red Devils of San Jose California, taken at the Oakland Convention, August 1932.

This picture belongs in a museum or something............anyway I'll have it up as soon as I can. I tried digging up ANYTHING I could find on this corps on the internet, found absolutely nothing except for a small line on an American Legion website somewhere.

Ironlips, if you're out there, ever heard of the AL Red Devils of San Jose, CA??

Rich,

Sunriser Hall of Famer Tony White hipped me to your query.

Brian Tolzmann, drum corps historian extraordinaire, lists this corps on page 406 0f The History of Drum & Bugle Corps along with other Red Devils Corps from Rochester, PA (jr. & sr.), Bayshore NY (I remember them as a parade corps in the '60s), Crystal City, MO, Gowanda, NY, Kingston, NY, McHenry, IL, and Pawtucket, RI.

There are no details given.

Does your picture have any Post identification or names below or on the back? Where did your customer find it?

What a great find! It definitely needs to be preserved. I suggest you send a scan to Vickers for the next volume of the History.

Rich,

Sunriser Hall of Famer Tony White hipped me to your query.

Brian Tolzmann, drum corps historian extraordinaire, lists this corps on page 406 0f The History of Drum & Bugle Corps along with other Red Devils Corps from Rochester, PA (jr. & sr.), Bayshore NY (I remember them as a parade corps in the '60s), Crystal City, MO, Gowanda, NY, Kingston, NY, McHenry, IL, and Pawtucket, RI.

There are no details given.

Does your picture have any Post identification or names below or on the back? Where did your customer find it?

What a great find! It definitely needs to be preserved. I suggest you send a scan to Vickers for the next volume of the History.

Hey Ironlips, thanks for the reply!

On the back of the frame, is a handwritten list of the names of every member of the corps. My customer had it because his father was in the corps, and he insisted I keep the picture, but this doesn't belong on my wall, it belongs in some drum corps hall of fame or something.........Will have a scan of picture up soon, at the very least this should be hanging in your bugle museum or something LOL

Austin AL Post #383 "Grenadiers" (Chicago, IL)

agr1952.jpg

Edited by bariforhire

I found this video footage from the 1939 World's Fair on Treasure Island. Yes, this is Site X where the Renegades practice.

The video shows a corps near the end of clip and it only shows the corps marching away. I think it's the San Gabriel Dons from AL Post #442. Can anyone confirm?

The clip can be found at:

1939 World's Fair Parade - Treasure Island

I found this video footage from the 1939 World's Fair on Treasure Island. Yes, this is Site X where the Renegades practice.

The video shows a corps near the end of clip and it only shows the corps marching away. I think it's the San Gabriel Dons from AL Post #442. Can anyone confirm?

The clip can be found at:

1939 World's Fair Parade - Treasure Island

Thanks for the link Munson, wish I could help but the only Dons pics I've seen are B/W. The first group is interesting too with the chromed "Doughboy" helmets that a lot of early corps wore. Looks like a VFW emblem on the bass drum but can't get a good look at it.

Geez, keep forgetting Treasure Island was used for the World Fair before it was turned over to the Navy for a few decades. There was even an old movie that had the fair as the backdrop. Only notable thing about that one was Ceasar Romero (aka Joker on TVs Batman) had a leading role.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari