$100 hypothetical bet #3

The Academy - to win  

134 members have voted

1. 1. The Academy will finish? (O/U p1.5D2)

• Win D2 in 2006
    • 2nd place or lower D2 in 2006

i place my money on 2nd place or lower... just cuz Academy managed to own the west coast div2, its a total diffrent story when u put them up againts the spartans or jazz... Academy has never seen any corps from the east, so anything could happen.. and im sure all division 2 corps are stepping up, as the field is becoming more competetive every year.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that this poll is so even says a whole lot about them as an organization. I was most impressed by them 10 pointing some people last year... I wouldn't want to have to guess this one, but it will make D2 a lot of fun this year.

I just hope that judges don't get on the "I wish I'd seen you a few more times, so I could have given you credit" garbage.

The Academy has done many, many things right. They will be tough.

But some things to consider.

ECJ, The Spartans, Oregon Crusaders, Impulse, Jersey Surf, Memphis Sound and the like are not going to roll over by any means. I do believe ECJ and OC want to eventually move to Div I (sooner than later). They know The Academy is coming. Believe me they will do everything possible to take it up a notch.

10 pointing some of the smaller West Coast corps is not that big of a deal.

The Academy has done limited tours. How will both the staff and the kids hold up on a longer, more intense tour?

I think they will be tough. I think they have a chance of winning. But I would not bet on them or against them. It will be great, IMO, the first time The Academy meets up with the East Coast biggies. Don't overlook OC either. Div II/III this year should be very exciting.

Attend as many Div II/III shows as possible! Show your support. b**bs

Jim

So by "1st place" do you mean 1st at Finals or Grand Finals? So, 1st place silver medalists or 2nd place gold medalists? Hehe, JK. :sshh:

Now, what do I think? Well, a corps being on the top of their division at the end of a very short tour one year and then winning the very next year, their first year at finals.... I'll tell you this much, it has happened before.

*cough*Oregon Crusaders*cough*

But, then again, DII is a whole 'nother ball game from DIII, as we found out this year. At this point, I wouldn't put my money either way.

I posted this on the Div 1 thread and the same goes here:

Anyone who thinks Academy will win Div 2 put your money where your mouth is. I'm putting up $100 each for the first ten people who think Academy will win. I'll collect my cash at Div 2 finals or Div 1 any night finals week, whichever is more convienient for you.

I wish them all the luck in the world, but predicting a champion in November is moronic. They haven't had a full tour, and haven't seen an eastern corps? How about this thought: Since they have competed "half" the season in the past, the show was constructed to be maxed out by the end of their season. So they maxed it out and beat up on some Div 2 western corps? If they finished the full DCI season would they have gotten stale? Would they have even made finals in Mass? We can only conjecture, but I think they'll make Div 2 finals and place somewhere around the middle.

I think they'll have a tougher time than people think. ECJ, Spartans, OC, Teal, and Fever. Those corps are not going to lay it at their feet cuz' of size. They scored impressively I admit. Though their scores on a show to show basis were not obscenely ahead of the scores Spartans, ECJ etc... saw throughout their seasons. I think they will do well no doubt. Though to say "holy crap, they have so many people, they're really good, they'll win first year out" is a little misguided. Let the scores tell you where they stand mmkay? :worthy:

Edited by Phirefenix

johnnyboy, you seem confident that they will place in the middle of competition for Div II, and have clearly stated that they will not win the title. Just for clarification purposes, have you seen The Academy perform yet? If so, which show was it? Any reason to say that they wouldn't be a serious threat for the title?

Edited by PCOP_trumpet04

I hope someone is seeing a running pattern...

97 and 04 Spartans win

98 and 05 East Coast Jazz wins (even though 99 was a "tie" ECJ did come out higher at quarters)

99 and 06 While it was Patriots (I think) who won, they don't exist anymore. So, prepare for impending doom, whoever it is in 2006. (maybe it will be the academy... since when does a corps last very long in Arizona?)

and then 2000 and 07 - SCVC. They'll probably be there. It's in SoCal right?

So your answer - Yeah, I bet academy will win. I bet Spartans and ECJ will be on the rebound from the past couple years like they always do. There's 200 dollars right there. Pay up because I need the money :P

EDIT: Just apoligizing if I don't have my facts straight about the previous title runs.

Edited by witchsbrew07

2nd place or lower....probably lower. I'd call either 3rd or 4th. Because although they are very good, other corps just have the advantage. They are more experienced with whole touring bit. They have the momentum of competitive, full season (2005) under their belts. Honestly, if I had to pick someone to win that wasn't ECJ or Spartans, I'd pick Teal. Anyone else notice their surge at the end of the season, narrowly missing 3rd place to a corps that is now Division I?

And please, lets not mention numbers. We all know that numbers don't matter, especially after the last two seasons. I think it's pretty obvious. Small and good will always beat big and not as good, simple as that. Not saying Academy isn't good so don't take it the wrong way.

And just remember, the corps that hype the least tend to do better, it's a pattern I've been noticing. 2004, I'm not gonna lie, ECJ was hyping quite a bit, and look what happened. Spartans didn't at all. 2005, all of the hype was on the Blue Stars (no bashing, just stating) and they did not win.

I guess this was very long winded. Other corps are just more experienced in every aspect, and Academy was beating up on corps who eventually, were scoring in the 90's...so clearly they would have started to peak had they done a full tour considering you can't break 100...

I guess I'm done for now....have a nice day all