The last D1 "upset"

how about a little of both?

it's impossible to definitively tell whether it was the improvement of one corps or the stagnation of another corps that led to the change in positions... some corps just peak too soon sometimes.

Edited by TTitans909

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to pull a "you whipersnappers don't know anything" card here, really, but I guess I'd feel better about your stance if you were old enough to experience a drum corps like the 1988 Blue Devils live. I would love to have a time machine, have you and I sit in the stands, watch them, then have you turn to me and say (besides the grey pants :) ) how faded the Blue Devils seemed to be. I'd be willing to bet the first few words out of your mouth would be "Power..Precision..Excellence", and then after you were done, you'd wonder when the next oppurtunity to change your shorts was going to be.

I would love to have a time machine, have you and I sit in the stands, watch them, then have you turn to me and say (besides the grey pants :) ) how faded the Blue Devils seemed to be. I'd be willing to bet the first few words out of your mouth would be "Power..Precision..Excellence", and then after you were done, you'd wonder when the next oppurtunity to change your shorts was going to be.

Sorry man, when I finish my time machine first stop is going to be 1996 finals to see Phantom Regiment live 10 times in a row, maybe more. 1988 can be second stop...then it will be first come first served.

i would've loved to be there, too, to see that performance... i love BD 88... i love BD in general... i'm a huge BD fan... but i've heard from people that were there that week that BD peaked too early and some people felt that BD 88 didn't have the emotion that scouts 88 (i'd tend to agree with them just based up on the recordings... which isn't really an accurate depiction, but whatever)... i'm merely pointing out the trend of BD's placement fading near the end of the season.

edit: for what it's worth, BD 88 doesn't give me the same chills while watching the DVD that madison 88 does.

part of that is from listening to the way the crowd responds... the energy and pandemonium at the end of malaguena just doesn't match up to any response that BD got that year.

Edited by TTitans909

i would've loved to be there, too, to see that performance... i love BD 88... i love BD in general... i'm a huge BD fan... but i've heard from people that were there that week that BD peaked too early and some people felt that BD 88 didn't have the emotion that scouts 88 (i'd tend to agree with them just based up on the recordings... which isn't really an accurate depiction, but whatever)... i'm merely pointing out the trend of BD's placement fading near the end of the season.

edit: for what it's worth, BD 88 doesn't give me the same chills while watching the DVD that madison 88 does.

part of that is from listening to the way the crowd responds... the energy and pandemonium at the end of malaguena just doesn't match up to any response that BD got that year.

Inappropriate (condescending) comment removed-JAS

DVD does not even capture the power mastered in 1988 by the Devils...

Edited by Tank

FOR THE RECORD: Blue Devils and Cadets did not tie for 2nd in 2002...they tied for 2nd in 2001. Blue Devils lost to Cadets at Quarters in 2002...but beat them at Semis and Finals.

IMO----Devils should of beat them at Quarters too....I was like, "what the heck just happened???" :blink: Then at Semis...I was like, "NOW THAT IS MORE LIKE IT!!!" ^OO^

let me just point out a couple things in my post:

but i've heard from people that were there that week that BD peaked too early and some people felt that BD 88 didn't have the emotion that scouts 88 (i'd tend to agree with them just based up on the recordings... which isn't really an accurate depiction)

i'm quite aware that recordings aren't accurate when it comes to power... but the recordings don't make the crowd seem louder for one corps than another... recordings don't produce optical illusions that make it look like the crowd is jumping to its feet at the end of the show. and clearly, my (to you, completely uneducated because i wasn't there) opinion has been confirmed by other people that were there... so does this mean that i should just stop posting about anything that happened before i saw corps live? or maybe i should just throw away all those DVDs that i bought with my own money... because you know, they're not really useful anyway.

edit: lasqueegee: sorry... 01 and 02 are the two DVDs that i don't own... i guess i got confused. i fixed it in my pseudo-chart.

Edited by TTitans909

I just checked out the 83 finals recap... wow I didn't realize Suncoast was 3rd in field brass, 4th in overall brass.

If I can chime in. I don't think Blue Devils "fade"....whatever that means. That implies the other corps are constant and Blue Devils just orbited their placements around other corps.

What in fact happens is a little word that some are afraid to say.......competition.

When Blue Devils win, it's usually due to sheer dominance of the season (not all, but most). When they haven't won, and when it was close, the outcome is a dogfight. Sure, they may have been on top prior to DCI and lost DCI, but that doesn't mean they faded.

Again, it's competition. Other corps are fighting for that top spot just like the Blue Crew. To say Blue Devils faded implies the winner didn't beat BD at their best. I find that a bit hard to believe....in most cases.

Now...with respect to the 88 Blue Devils.

The audio on the DVD and recordings in no way comes even close to reproducing the sound of that hornline and the overall musical ensemble. No way close.

The 88 Blue Devils hornline was from another planet. The balance, intonation, and timbre of the hornline was simply incredible. Maybe they didn't perform their best at finals, I don't know, I wasn't there. Assume that's true. Then not even at their best, the brass line stood head and shoulders over the rest of the field.

Not bad.

Nobody can doubt the musical brilliance of the 1988 Blue Devils, or specifically their brass section.

Unfortunately, their drumline was not as brilliant, and visually (despite what some BD droolers around here think) their program was nothing to write home about. It certainly wasn't anything that screamed "championship calliber."

And the numbers reflect that...

6th in Visual Effect, 4th in Visual Performance

Yeah, there was a reason they ditched the grey pants after that one season.

That hornline, though...mmmmmmmyummy! :)