Junior/Senior Corps Announcements discussion.

gdisney

First you limit the number of threads that a corps is allowed. Fine, that works. Now you dont want any thing posted in an announcement thread that could be more information or just FUN ribbing that will keep the original announcement in front of people to help keep the word out.

So now we can post an announcement, then when it disappears in about four hours or within one day, then we will just have to post the announcement again. Oh wait, that goes against the original rule you had posted but have now changed because 5 people think it is better. I know this is your forum and you have full control over it, but this is a little silly.

Being a forum administrator and moderator for other forums, some very successful some not I would like to mention something to you. Forums that have too many "specialized boards" are not very successful. If you have to look in too many places to find information, it ends up not being worth it. The General Forum, no matter how long threads get, is easier to go through page by page than to have to try and search each and every individual "clubhouse" forum. Also, it has been my experience that a forum that is moderated with an iron glove, like you are begining to do here, doesn't stay very popular except to the hard core posters (no I did not intend corps).

This is your house and we come in as guests to post and have fun with other like minded people, so you set the rules. However I respectfully request you reconsider this latest decision.

Thank you.

:lol::lol::lol:

^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

:mmm:

Edited by dpdc77

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First you limit the number of threads that a corps is allowed. Fine, that works. Now you dont want any thing posted in an announcement thread that could be more information or just FUN ribbing that will keep the original announcement in front of people to help keep the word out.

So now we can post an announcement, then when it disappears in about four hours or within one day, then we will just have to post the announcement again. Oh wait, that goes against the original rule you had posted but have now changed because 5 people think it is better. I know this is your forum and you have full control over it, but this is a little silly.

Being a forum administrator and moderator for other forums, some very successful some not I would like to mention something to you. Forums that have too many "specialized boards" are not very successful. If you have to look in too many places to find information, it ends up not being worth it. The General Forum, no matter how long threads get, is easier to go through page by page than to have to try and search each and every individual "clubhouse" forum. Also, it has been my experience that a forum that is moderated with an iron glove, like you are begining to do here, doesn't stay very popular except to the hard core posters (no I did not intend corps).

This is your house and we come in as guests to post and have fun with other like minded people, so you set the rules. However I respectfully request you reconsider this latest decision.

Thank you.

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject.

I agree... I like reading the other discussions about the other corps, now I have to spend an extra 15 minutes just to load their clubhouses???

You guys must all have Cable and DSL, but look at the guys with dial-up .... if each page takes a minute to load... to look at 15 diff corps that I like to follow in their discussions, its going to take me 50% longer just to do that!

This (IMHO) is getting out of hand, because to my knowledge, most people tend to read other corps messages too, even the chit-chat that goes on.

This will be considered.

I'd never seen the clubhouse forums until five minutes ago.

(My computer's "favorite" page is the discussion board, not the main index.)

Duly noted. Thanks.

Um . . . whats the point of all the condescending comments to everyone making comments or suggestions?

Edited by lisard5

he's trying to keep it brief not to clog up dcp any longer? lol.

Um . . . whats the point of all the condescending comments to everyone making comments or suggestions?

I don't see anything that would describe "condescending". If you are choosing to percept things in that manner, that's your choice, and I will apologize if that's how it's coming across.

That said, I feel to acknowledge a comment or suggestion shows that "we do care".

he's trying to keep it brief not to clog up dcp any longer? lol.

Good stuff, I had to smile at that one. :P

Your clarification is duly noted, Rich, but I had the same perception. Sorry, but you sounded like the cable company's 'I could care less' customer service.

And FWIW it doesn't really matter to me which way you choose to manage the board - I'll still be here enjoying it regardless.

Rather than just file my specific complaint, since you seem to have decided to do this no matter what valid points are brought to your attention, I would like to offer you a suggestion to help alleviate the perceived problem.

People keep posting in an open house announcement to be able to keep the information in front of peoples eyes. How about if when an announcement for something as important as a corps open house is posted you give it the courtesy of a sticky post. It could then be locked because it wouldnt need to be bumped up stopping the chit chat that happens in the announcement thread. I know that with as many corps as there are, the first page could end up with all stickys. However since these are the most important announcements that could happen in the general Discussion Forum, they should be allowed a sticky. Maybe reformat the board so more threads could be visable per page? Then, after the date passes, you could simply take off the sticky and it will drop down to it's chronological position and die off. Or you could just delete it after that date.

I also have my favorites linked directly to the "Senior (DCA) & Alumni Discussions" page so I had to search around to find the "clubhouses". Now that I have found them, could you please correct the title of SoCal Dream's club house to reflect our complete name (should be "SoCal Dream" not just "Dream") Thanks.

One last thought, you made the post I quote below however it seems that with how fast this thread grew and many peoples dissatisfaction with your decision, it appears that this decision was made to benefit "the needs of the few" (DCP staff) not the needs of the many.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"

Once again, your house, your rules. I am just trying to make a suggestion to help satisfy everyone.

Edited by MiniSopGuy