'Tis The Season

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.tubachristmas.com/

Coolness, still time to do the local one. Perhaps a recruiting event as well. Get that Austin Stars thing kicked off early.

AUSTIN - MONDAY, DECEMBER 19 - TIME: 12:00 noon

Tyler's not to far out either.

TYLER - SATURDAY, DECEMBER 17 - TIME: 12:30 pm

We should have a good size contra line at the LA (Glendale) TubaChristmas, including a p/r, a couple K-90s, a couple DEGs and there were some kids out there with Kanstul Bb contras last year. Hopefully we don't get hidden off to the side like last year.

How do you participate if you have a G Contra or Baritone?

You transpose the parts. Or just learn to read note for "actual" pitch. Or otherwise play by ear or fake it. It's just a matter of doing it and getting familiar with it. A lot of mental work initially, but once familiar, just another clef / transposition. And there's advantages to playing a watery third part.

In some respects you actually have an advantage, you're keyed to go 3 half steps lower than most other horns there. And without having to have/use a 4th valve. Assuming you have a 3rd valve. Otherwise no advantage, but no real disadvantage either.

Bear in mind many tubists only own CC or Eb tuba. It's expensive to own a 5/4 BBb or G big horn. And a logistical pain to lug around everywhere.

I have the TubaChristmas music in G on my website.

http://tubadon.com/Tubachristmas.htm

Hey, this link is not working!

Some of us from Steel City are going to Tubachristmas on Sat the 10th. I have been playing in Tubachristmas with my bugle off and on since 1994.

Funny, one of the people from Steel called the Tubachistmas people and asked about bugles and they said that they frowned upon them!

I have the fingerings for the transpositions written in my Tubachristmas book.

I'm bringing my fiberglass Buescher Sousaphone ::Waits for gasps:: to Philadelphia TC-05. Last one I attended was in 1999.

Believe it or not, that sousa, plays amazingly well. I feel in love with the valve action, so much so that I sold my Conn Cavalier Brass 14K sousaphone -I'm Still waiting for money on- Comparing the two. The Conn has a little warmer tone, but the intonation is nothing to praise about, same with the valves. The Buescher wins hands down. The valves are light and fast, and the intonation is remarkable. I played a Selmer Signet in High school which is identical to the Buescher, and that was a piece of crap. This thing was a total sleeper. I bought it planning to just do a couple repairs and resell for a quick turnaround.

Best thing about the Buesher I can take it through the car wash.. LOL "Spray wax please."

Maybe next year I'll tranpose all the music out so I can use my Kanstul Contra. But the sousa is a little easier on the back, The Contra is pushing 38 pounds :Prototype: The Sousa is like 15 lbs. 17lbs with the mouthpiece. Plus it doesn't dent.. The Best $77.25 and hour & a half drive I spent this year. Thanks eBay!

tuba6.jpg