Meals on tour

tran

o man, you can't get me started on food... but one thing i really liked on tour was pizza subs, 2 thumbs up and 5 stars for that one :)

Here are a few secrets:

Lots of pasta. Cheap and easy.

Use canned chicken from Sam's Club.

Poll the members during camps on what they like and what they don't. Make sure you base future meal decisions on the majority opinion, not the whiners.

Don't forget to make enough for the staff: management, educational and VOLUNTEERS!

Have fun with the food. Be creative. The same thing day after day can get old really fast.

"Okay kids, time for super rewind saturday! What is that you ask? We eat a little piece of every day this week... AT ONCE!"

Kawanis: *groaaaan*

Yeah, that would be a last resort, but apperently it saved some money.

How do you make pizza in a cup???

Thanks for the help everyone. Ill make sure I tell my parents. Any ideas for breakfast?

We normally had cereal for breakfast, but I always liked having bagels and cream cheese when they were out. It's also nice to have a "real" breakfast once in awhile, including eggs, bacon, sausage, etc...

:unsure: Hey everyone I need some help. My parents are coming on tour with us and they dont know what would be the best meal to eat after a hard working day. Last year we ate a lot of ham sandwiches. My parents have would also like to know what is the cheapest way to feed about 96 people. If you have any responses that might help I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!

Hope I can Help, Last year I cooked on tour for a DivII corps 100 members plus staff and support crew,for 24 days.

I know as they read this they will probably have their own opinions of how well it went.

FIRST LET ME SAY THAT YOUR FOLKS ARE TO BE COMMENDED AND APPRECIATED .ALWAYS (as a corps )LET THEM KNOW HOW MUCH YOU APPRECIATE THEIR EFFORTS. Trust me, it is an awesome task and at the same time VERY rewarding.You and they must remember "An army marches on its stomach ."

O.K here goes as far as sandwiches you can vary it up PB+J as un"yummy" as that may sound once in a while with fresh fruit and chips or pretzels and lots of Gatorade , equals all you'll need to make it to dinner.

Tuna sandwiches,go to a bulk market type store and buy the restaurant sized tuna cans ,always give an option of something other than meat sandwiches tho, because of vegetarian members or somebody who just doesn't like the meat your serving(grilled cheese works too). For dinners PASTA... could be spaghetti w/meatballs (again look to bulk grocery store (Costco,Sams club) Meatballs 140 for around $11.00,spaghetti noodles,hit the dollar stores,same for the sauce. You can feed 140 people for about a $1.00 each with a salad and bread too,and as always lots and lots to drink. AND everybody loves spaghetti. AS I'VE LEARNED THO, NOT TOO OFTEN.Other pasta dishes liked "baked ziti" etc. will work too. Something I had thought about doing THIS year was to see if we could get a bunch of moms or dads together a week or so before tour and make "cook groups". The way this would work is simple ,each group would be responsible for making one casserole each . Enough to feed the corps once each. Prepared by teams and frozen before tour ,with the right team work you can get 6 or 7 meals frozen and reheating is all you'll need.

Baked potatoes with ALL THE TOPPINGS can be a really good meal . If you don't have a way to bake them on tour ,you've got time between now and then to make it possible.Hot dogs,Hamburgers, etc.

Breakfasts,eggs,pancakes,cereal, fresh fruit ALWAYS try at every meal to have fresh fruit.Apples,Bananas,melons of varying types. Also canned peaches,pears,fruit cocktail,will do and you can get those a little at a time all year long.

THE KEY TO ALL OF THIS HOWEVER IS GETTING FOOD DONATIONS canned food, vegetables and other non parishables can be collected all winter long . keep track of what and how much comes in it's important to the "plan".You should be able to feed 130 people 3 meals and a snack everyday for 24 days (with enough donated non-parishables) for less than $10,00.00 . GOOD LUCK AND MAKE SURE YOU AND YOUR CORPS MEMBERS AND PARENTS UNDERSTAND THAT WITH VARIETY (AND 2nds) You can focus more on the job you're there to do.

As a staff member and as someone who helped in the kitchen....

-A hot meal a day goes along way.

-Carbs, Carbs, Carbs......energy is very important and balogna sandwiches don't cut it.

-Make salads avalible at EVERY meal.

You can email the big boys like Phantom Regiment and Spirit to get meal ideas. The best food is Phantom Pork Chops and Spirit Stew.

Also, if there is a local grocer that might donate items like fruits, veggies, bread and meat.