? for "experienced" DCI fans

What was your personal reaction in 1980 when SCV came out with a show of assymetrical drill (btw, who wrote their drill in 1980)?

What was the reaction of DCI fans in general that year (that was a couple of years before I knew what dci was)?

It seemed that within a couple of years, everyone was doing assymmetrical things, with Zingali and Garfield rapidly rising to the top. Did the radical change in drill styles have anything to do with the eventual doing away of the tick system?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love the show. the drill didnt bother me except for the concert.

that weird form the corps stayed in for so long really to me....and i realize park and bark was in back there....caused me to lose focus. i dont know what it was about that form, but it just looked like ti didnt fit the music

i love the show. the drill didnt bother me except for the concert.

that weird form the corps stayed in for so long really to me....and i realize park and bark was in back there....caused me to lose focus. i dont know what it was about that form, but it just looked like ti didnt fit the music

Are you talking about that candy cane shape for Evita?

What was your personal reaction in 1980 when SCV came out with a show of assymetrical drill (btw, who wrote their drill in 1980)?

Cant say that I had a personal reaction as I was 9 years old and didn't have any clue as to what corps was.

But I can tell you that the drill writer was Pete Emmons..his last year with SCV.

My memory was that 27, Bridgemen and Spirit were so strong that no one was really paying too much attention to either SCV or Phantom.

True. All I can remember was all the talk on how close BD, 27, Spirit and the Bridgemen were.

BD, Phantom, Spirit, and 27 (if you didn't listen to the horn line) were hot that year, but SCV was way better the 7th. As with most radical changes, some "old timers" don't like it. This was a time of great upheaval in drum corps. 2 valve bugles were just legalizied, pits were starting (79 Guardsmen I might add), much more dance type movement was coming into guard, asymetric drill, "theme" shows, etc. It was a wonderful/difficult time depending on your point of view. (Think the 3 valve bugle contraversy, or to legalize electronics - depends on the changes of your time.)

As to SCV that year, I still watch my DVD's and listen to the State of the Art album all the time. Two of my most favorite tunes are from that show - Verdi Requiem/Procession of the Nobles coming out of the corner, and Stone Ground Seven, one of the neatest, most musical, and rhythmically challenging drum solos ever. And their feet! What technique! White shoes! - WAY COOL!!!

With a little updating, I think this show would be very competative today, but now I'm "Old school" compared to then.

(If you don't have a Copy of the State of the Art I album/CD from 80 - get one. Studio type recordings of SCV and BD in the Concord Pavillion. One of the most important moments in drum corps recording. 80 Devils weren't too shabby either! - Go French Horns!!!!)

Having been on the brass staff at SCV in 1980, I can honestly say it was one of the most exciting times in my career. Given the opportunity to work with the likes of Fred Sanford, Pete Emmons, Rahph Hardimon, Jim Elvord, Scott Pearson, Dave Barduhn and the rest of that wonderful group, it's easy to see why creative juices were flowing.

We all felt that drum corps was on the brink of a major conceptual change, and it was. The show was profoundly unique and a bit ahead of the curve, and our competitors were outstanding in their own right, especially my old team the BDs.

I have always been very proud to have had a hand in that show. It became clear over the years that it represented a pivotal moment in drum corps.

And to Guardsmen French Horn2: Thanks for the kind words about "State of the Art". It's no coincidence that both corps still keep it in stock. I even get a kick hearing it "on hold" when calling the BD office. That recording session gave both corps a real sense of their professionalism and I am so glad we were able to bring it off.

As to SCV that year, I still watch my DVD's and listen to the State of the Art album all the time. Two of my most favorite tunes are from that show - Verdi Requiem/Procession of the Nobles coming out of the corner, and Stone Ground Seven, one of the neatest, most musical, and rhythmically challenging drum solos ever. And their feet! What technique! White shoes! - WAY COOL!!!

I think the opener combo was Nobles and the opening fanfare to Tchaikovsky 4th, not Verdi. Verdi was performed in 79.

Cheers,

Mike in OH