Thoughts on 2005 DVD

Aaw

Maybe somebody already said that, but I just wasn't smart enough to read all twelve pages of the experienced veterans, judges and caption heads that have been posting in such an intelligent, unbiast and productive manner.

BW

Deriding the posters here, quite a few of whom are vets within the activity is just about as "intelligent" in its own brand of insightful commentary.

Furthermore, suggesting that people need to have qualifications of some sort to either form an opinion about a show or critique it smacks of elitism. Perhaps you can enlighten us, though. :)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched Santa Clara on the DVD....imo, they were a bit underscored

Having said that, I frequently predict a higher score for a corps than that corps actually gets

Edited by sooneralum2001

Here's a thought,

Maybe Phantom's music is 'easier to hum' since it is certainly some of the most famous American music of the last century. I just think MAYBE that might have a little something to do with it.

Maybe somebody already said that, but I just wasn't smart enough to read all twelve pages of the experienced veterans, judges and caption heads that have been posting in such an intelligent, unbiast and productive manner.

BW

I am a corps allumni, a music education major and a high school band director, so based off the above quote I fall under experienced veteran I guess i'm entitled to an opinion.

The thing I love most about drum corps planet is all the opinions whether I agree or not. As a teacher and designer I appreciate the fresh views from those who don't fall into those catagories, it gives a good gadge as to what people respond to or what they don't. However, remember drum corps shows are works of art and EVERYONE has the right to form and express an opinion. One thing we all have in comman is our love of the activity, from the DCI judge to the janitor who gave up his trumpet years ago. If not for all of us, drum corps planet would not be sucessful. If this passion for the activity wasn't there, we would all find other things to do with our internet time. Remember every show makes a different impact with everyone. I find all the feedback to be interesting and insiteful. Sometimes the most basic of quotes hides the most wisdom.

Apparently you didn't read the page in the dictionary with the word "biased" either. :P

While he did misspell the word, I do give him a little credit for using the misspelled word correctly.

Most of the people here on DCP suck at using that word. They always end up saying something like: "Well, this is my opinion, but I'm bias."

:blink:

I just got it last night....are there video montages like there were last year, aside from what already showed up on ESPN, etc.? I loved the "road to the championship," as well as the extra video within the finale; aside from showing great and interesting clips, the people at DCI have extremely impressive taste in choosing background music as well. Did anyone else notice that? I love the music they've used to accompany video clips.

It's really amusing to see how badly everything in retreat looks because of the fact that it was the only full one all year. Missed horn moves (Cadets), vocal commands, and that America O' Canada sounded even worse than ever. Too bad, really.

All i know is that one of the 'ESPN guys' was Dennis Delucia. Does that name ring a bell?

BW

I was referring to the sports video division...the guys that do it for sports all year long. I don't think they could do the job Tom does.

Tom did all the video for the ESPN2 broadcast. That is not what I was referring to.

I know Dennis. I know Steve. I would hope you'd give me more credit than that.

Edited by CVQuesty

Just watched Phantom's show for the first time. What an outstanding show....definitely more impressive to me than the Cadets were. Even more effect (emotionally and otherwise) without overexcessive concepts. I didn't need to listen to the show designer commentary to understand what was going on in the show, and I appreciated that.

Most impressive thing about their show to me.....all of their section features were played while MOVING. Rare to see that in drum corps.

BD's fugue moment was also incredibly performed, with the seperate sections joining their syncopated parts to create a melody. Also, while moving.

Question: during Glassmen's show, at the end of the percussion feature (the song that ends with the loud quarter note, before the closer), is that a high tuba solo, or a low euph one? I think it's a tuba one, and if so, its extremely impressive. Just wondering.

Most impressive thing about [Phantom's] show to me.....all of their section features were played while MOVING. Rare to see that in drum corps.

Huhwhat? Are we watcing the same show? I definately remember the trumpets standing still for both of their features, and the tubas standing still for theirs.

I'm also noticing that they touched up some of the solo work. Most noticably, the first sop solo in PR's show. (the one with the plunger provided by Gene Kelly!) That solo was flubbed a bit on finals night....wasn't it? Is that usual on a DVD release from DCI? I mean, it wasn't that bad....not like it was '89 BD or anything!

Speaking of touching up...

Listen to the intro of the Cadets show on the CD, then listen to the DVD...what's the drum major's name again?