Loudest mello's ever

The Cadets seem to have a loud mello section a lot years

No, they usually play quietly with lots of finesse. Extremely talented lines, some of the best ever (especially mid 90's), but listen to '96, for example. The parts are played magnificently (did I really just use that word? I just woke up), but most visibly so in excerpts where the trumpets repeat the same musical phrase, they don't project nearly as well. Very rarely, if ever, do they have a mello line that could be called loud.

yea i would agree with that statement about cadets mellos. They have never never really blown me away with volume, but they always have some outstanding players who can play technical things like no ones business. I thought blue devils have always had some mello lines who could put out some sound

No, they usually play quietly with lots of finesse. Extremely talented lines, some of the best ever (especially mid 90's), but listen to '96, for example. The parts are played magnificently (did I really just use that word? I just woke up), but most visibly so in excerpts where the trumpets repeat the same musical phrase, they don't project nearly as well. Very rarely, if ever, do they have a mello line that could be called loud.

The SanFrancisco Renegades win that caption hands down. (DCA)

I have never heard a louder Melli section. You would have to see their show to know what I am talking about.

While the mellophone lines of today can put out some volume, I must admit that I am more impressed by many of the mellophone lines from the 80s. Most of the lines in the 80's didn't have 14 to 16 players - more like 4 to 8. Many od the Madison, BD and SCV lines could put out some serious volumen with only a few players.

I'll admit this is a very biased pick (as I marched in this section), but check out 86 Sky Ryders. We had 8 mellophones that could drown out the other 52 members of the horn line - and with a good sound to boot.

Hey, I was just the kettledrummer, but...

The 8 mellos and 8 fh's in the hornline of the Madison Scouts were truly awe inspiring.

I've been waiting since then to hear that sound.

:)

What is really unbelievable is that people STILL INSIST on using what they hear on a Record/Tape/Videotape/ CD/ ANYTHING NOT LIVE IS A MOOT POINT!!!!! ...........

You have to hear a LIVE performanced to judge/answer this question properly!!

"I was just the kettledrummer, but..." YOU WERE THERE !! and it also sounds like YOU are one of the very few drummers who understands ANYTHING about a Brass Line!...Congrats! sounds like you must have worn ear plugs @ practice...or at least did not lose a lot of your hearing in drum rehearsal.

8 mellos and 8 Frenchies!.... I never knew! I also wondered how they got that sound??? Gonna start a new post asking who still uses frenchies!!! BTW...scouttimp.....That Sound WAS the frenchies mixed in! :blink:

Thanks so much for the info you put in your post!!

BTW .... the 88' Scouts whole horn line WAS probably one of the Loudest 2-4 I EVER Heard!!!

Espececially in Maleguenea! :angry:

• Like 1

^0^

In a few years you'll be able to have another spin-off topic:

Loudest clarinets ever. ^0^

REALLY FREAKIN' SUCKS DOESN'T IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^0^

If Hoppy and Ilk wish this. ^0^ .........START A NEW FREAKING CIRCUIT!!! <**> .......... WITH ONLY YOUR F'ING BANDS!!!..... <**>

I am no longer young enough to fight a**holes like this...but you probably are!! PLEASE DO!!!! This is a call for all REAL Drum Corps people to fight these idiots, and their attempts THROUGH Drum Corps Circuits and Organizations........ to forward A**inine ideas that these are!!!!!!!!!!

Loudest mellophones four straight years:

1988 through 1991 Star of Indiana

^0^

REALLY FREAKIN' SUCKS DOESN'T IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^0^

If Hoppy and Ilk wish this. ^0^ .........START A NEW FREAKING CIRCUIT!!! <**> .......... WITH ONLY YOUR F'ING BANDS!!!..... <**>

I am no longer young enough to fight a**holes like this...but you probably are!! PLEASE DO!!!! This is a call for all REAL Drum Corps people to fight these idiots, and their attempts THROUGH Drum Corps Circuits and Organizations........ to forward A**inine ideas that these are!!!!!!!!!!

Someone enlighten me quickly. Who's trying to get woodwinds in? What's the point?

On topic: Glassmen 99 was loooovely! Made me swoon, oh how I love mellos.