Great Drum Corps Rivalry's

Wasn't there one between Freelancers and VK?

If there was a VK/Freelancer rivalry, it replaced the famous VK/ Anaheim Kingsmen rivalry that was just as epic in the late 60's and throughout the 70's....both VK and AK had their origins from the Anaheim Scouts and were coexisting in virtually the same neighborhood....in the Kingsmen we were schooled about the rivalry right away. Hope that the return of both corps that we have read so much about will signal a return to this timeless rivalry....I will start it off here VK <**> .....all in good fun of course :P .....never heard of Freelancer/VK rivalry....interesting!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Nancy points out, I believe geographic rivalries were always around. How intense they got depended on the quality of the corps each year. I'm sure that is also at the base of BD/SCV. It just so happened that both corps got so good that their rivalry usually played out on a national stage each year.

As to the Red Sox/yankmes reference, it was correctly pointed out that a rivalry can not exist until each participant actually beats other. Prior to that, it is merely obsession on behalf of the losing team and nuisance on behalf of the winning one.

There hasn't been much rivalry between corps in a few years! ... I remember several years in Senior Corps hearing about f75king Reading... the SP%cks........ (One Year...oh 1/2 a year..) F75king Westshore!. in the seniors it was always competitive jealousy! and nothing more! PROBABLY JUNIORS TOO!......... Competition leads some people to say, and sometimes DO stupid things...unfortunate huh???

I'm sure people on the outside were MFing the Brigs when I finished up! :blink:

Anyway, as far as Red Sox/Yankees................ hahahahahahahahah! :P "86 years" :P there is no rivalry except for Red Sox Fans.. <**> .. AS was said here before...."it is merely obsession on behalf of the losing team (pretty much always the "Sox" :P ) and nuisance on behalf of the winning one" (Yankees). :angry:

I think the days of bitter rivalys are over. Everyone is so focused into improving their own show. However the rivalry is going to be with the corps scoring closest to you. and on this particular upcoming year, just because of the 5th place finish, everyone is going to be shooting for bluecoats because they have to get through them to get to the top. However, when a season has completed, most all corps members have respect for other corps performances.

however, a classic rivilary that hasn't been mentioned yet is Crossmen/Bluecoats 1990.

I don't think there's ever been a rivalry between Bluecoats and Glassmen, and if there was, it was either long ago or not as near as prevalent as the deal with Boston.

As I understand it, there is a bit of friendly rivalry between Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment, just because of their geographic proximity and that the manner in the way they approach things (brass and marching particularly) are so wildly different.

I think the days of bitter rivalys are over. Everyone is so focused into improving their own show. However the rivalry is going to be with the corps scoring closest to you. and on this particular upcoming year, just because of the 5th place finish, everyone is going to be shooting for bluecoats because they have to get through them to get to the top. However, when a season has completed, most all corps members have respect for other corps performances.

however, a classic rivilary that hasn't been mentioned yet is Crossmen/Bluecoats 1990.

"Bitter Rivalries Over";

Hear hear. I believe you are correct, especially with the way the "New Age" performers switch sides from year to year.

"Back in the Day": A few of the GREAT (And often REALLY bitter) rivalries included the St Kevin's vs Hyde Park/Boston Crusaders, Blessed Sacrament vs Garfield Cadets, Bridgeport PAL Cadets vs St Raphaels Buccaneers, Chicago Royal Airs vs Chicago Cavaliers, Toronto Optimists vs DeLa Salle Oaklands, and Madison Scouts vs the Racine Kilties vs the Racine Scouts.

There were some teriffic NYC "Metro" rivalries going with corps such as the Ridgemen vs Kingsmen, Loretto vs Selden vs Woodsiders, and the Audubon all girls vs any and all distaff units.

I am sure that there are many many more.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

If there was a VK/Freelancer rivalry, it replaced the famous VK/ Anaheim Kingsmen rivalry that was just as epic in the late 60's and throughout the 70's....both VK and AK had their origins from the Anaheim Scouts and were coexisting in virtually the same neighborhood....in the Kingsmen we were schooled about the rivalry right away. Hope that the return of both corps that we have read so much about will signal a return to this timeless rivalry....I will start it off here VK <**> .....all in good fun of course :P .....never heard of Freelancer/VK rivalry....interesting!

I've heard some interesting VK/Freelancers stories involving ET dolls and Reeses Pieces

I don't think there's ever been a rivalry between Bluecoats and Glassmen, and if there was, it was either long ago or not as near as prevalent as the deal with Boston.

As I understand it, there is a bit of friendly rivalry between Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment, just because of their geographic proximity and that the manner in the way they approach things (brass and marching particularly) are so wildly different.

There wasn't a "rivalry" in so much of a formal sense. But you better believe we were VERY aware of each other the two summers I marched. Add in the Ohio thing (we saw a LOT of each other) and you get the idea.

I think these things can be fluid from year to year--dependinng on the competition a corps is presenting you with that particular season.