MYSTIKAL: Workshops and Auditions

Just reminder that MYSTIKAL will be conducting their 2nd annual workshops for all who want to learn from some top notch instructors in the drum corps activity. Join us Saturday, January 8 & 22, from 10am - 4pm at NEWBURY PARK HIGH SCHOOL. Tuition is only $60.00 (good for both sessions), and gets you first-rate instruction in brass, percussion or color guard, along with a workshop t-shirt, lunch and collateral materials in your chosen discipline. Participants will get a leg up on the requirements for the 2006 corps auditions.

2006 AUDITIONS:

Will take place on Saturday, January 29, starting at 10:00am, also at Newbury Park High School.

For more information on workshops, and/or auditions, please go to the corps website:

www.mystikal-corps.org

Be a part of the excitement of our exciting 2006 journey to UTOPIA: THE PERFECT SOCIETY?

Boy Marc...that sure is PRETENTIOUS ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT MYSTIKAL!! Stop being so pretentious.

Preteniously yours,

Boy Marc...that sure is PRETENTIOUS ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT MYSTIKAL!! Stop being so pretentious.

Preteniously yours,

Well, Ryan...as you well know...

An ounce of pretention is worth a pound of manure. ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Words to live by this year...

2006 AUDITIONS:

Will take place on Saturday, January 29, starting at 10:00am, also at Newbury Park High School.

For those of us using the 2006 calendar, January 29 is a Sunday.

For those of us using the 2006 calendar, January 29 is a Sunday.

Thanks, Mr. Paul...

Yes, it is SUNDAY, JANUARY 29. All other info is correct.

I brought my son over after church to check out the hornline. (Actually, I dragged him along so that I could go check out the hornline of a local corps and have an excuse. lol.)

It looked like the kids were having lots of fun and pushing out some real nice chords.

Kudos to your tuba/sousaphone player!! I saw this petite young lady sling it over her head and do a nice job filling in the low end. I overheard Ray (the gentleman running the horns) say that she had only been playing since August(?). Excellent!

Also, there is a kid in there playing 2nd or 3rd trumpet with some real great volume. He could easily be a lead sop if he moved that mouthpiece to the center of his lip ( :P a pet peeve) and worked on dynamic control.

Overall, for the 18 or so horns you had at the workshop it sounded real nice. My son is only 13, so I guess we will have to wait another year. Good luck to you and I'll do my best to support your efforts in the local area. If only I had the time to be a tech.

I brought my son over after church to check out the hornline. (Actually, I dragged him along so that I could go check out the hornline of a local corps and have an excuse. lol.)

It looked like the kids were having lots of fun and pushing out some real nice chords.

Kudos to your tuba/sousaphone player!! I saw this petite young lady sling it over her head and do a nice job filling in the low end. I overheard Ray (the gentleman running the horns) say that she had only been playing since August(?). Excellent!

Also, there is a kid in there playing 2nd or 3rd trumpet with some real great volume. He could easily be a lead sop if he moved that mouthpiece to the center of his lip ( :P a pet peeve) and worked on dynamic control.

Overall, for the 18 or so horns you had at the workshop it sounded real nice. My son is only 13, so I guess we will have to wait another year. Good luck to you and I'll do my best to support your efforts in the local area. If only I had the time to be a tech.

Hey, I remember you! I saw you during rehersal, wondering what you were doing there. Now I know. Well, I'm the one with the "great volume" (I've always been called on it, you should hear my high school marching band recordings :P ), and yes, I do need to work on that. The mouthpiece has always been there, and the muscles developed that way, and I talked to my private teacher about it, and he said its not really a problem. Besides, after a good 5 1/2 years of playing, it would take a good couple months to really fix it and lock it in, which probably isn't worth it, especially if I want to make the corps (I do). I understand it's a pet peeve of yours, and actually my first private teacher tried to help me fix it, to no avail. I might try to work on it over the fall/winter, but I don't think it's a really good idea to try to change something that drastic now.

And by the way, I probably could play first, but I prefer second. My endurance has never been the greatest (possibly because of the embouchure, but oh well), and I don't really like stressing myself on the high notes. Besides, first year marching corps, I probably want to take it kind of easy.

Hey, I remember you! I saw you during rehersal, wondering what you were doing there. Now I know. Well, I'm the one with the "great volume" (I've always been called on it, you should hear my high school marching band recordings :P ), and yes, I do need to work on that. The mouthpiece has always been there, and the muscles developed that way, and I talked to my private teacher about it, and he said its not really a problem. Besides, after a good 5 1/2 years of playing, it would take a good couple months to really fix it and lock it in, which probably isn't worth it, especially if I want to make the corps (I do). I understand it's a pet peeve of yours, and actually my first private teacher tried to help me fix it, to no avail. I might try to work on it over the fall/winter, but I don't think it's a really good idea to try to change something that drastic now.

And by the way, I probably could play first, but I prefer second. My endurance has never been the greatest (possibly because of the embouchure, but oh well), and I don't really like stressing myself on the high notes. Besides, first year marching corps, I probably want to take it kind of easy.

Tsk..tsk...on your beginning band teacher. You're correct about the set in the embrouchure(sp?) if you have been playing that way for as long as you say. Shouldn't be a problem for now and you can work on it over a period of time. The only problem I can see with it is when you begin to take on more complicated pieces and increase your range, a symmetric placement of the mouthpiece is kind of critical both from a airflow and tounging perspective. Don't get me wrong, you can adjust and play just fine exactly like you are doing now but life is easier the other way.

As far as endurance goes.... :laugh: you will eliminate all concerns regarding that as you progress through the year in drum corps. I remember playing at least 6 to 8 hours a day (probably more) during the summers. The lips were ground round by the time we were done in some gym somewhere at 1AM everyday ("where's the ice!").

My first year in drum corps I took the lead sop soloist spot and didn't relinquish it. Don't take it easy, go for it!!! Good luck to you, Sam. Control that volume (blend) and kick some (_(_). You've got a powerful voice and I know you will have a blast no matter where you place.