ESPN and Recruitment

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think ESPN gave us a whole new venue of exposure and I hope they continue. However, as far as recruitment, I think it like made a marginal difference at best. If a kid wants to march corps. they would have been familier with the activity already and would have marched anyway. Now, as the activity gets more exposure in the future, then we may so a considerable difference.

It certainly got a few roused in our school.

But most of the kids who join corps is mainly due to my propaganda.

I've so far converted 20 ^0^

Edit:

I'm a DCI missionary

Edited by TommySopranoContra

well, just about everyone in my band program knows about drum corps... we go to Nightbeat as a band every year. Most aren't serious about it... there are a couple that really get into it, and there are a couple that want to march. I think to most of them though, it's just for entertainment purposes, rather than an actual goal to march. I dont think the ESPN broadcast changed any of that.

~>conner

Actually, the ESPN2 program was one of the things that got me fired up and made me get off my butt and start learning baritone.

I had been exposed to DCI over the '05 summer when I went to see a friend who was marching Crossmen perform. I was hooked, but a little daunted about learning a brass instrument(I'm a saxophonist). So I didn't.

But the day after the ESPN2 program was showed, I got a valve chart, mouthpiece, instrument, and quick embouchre lesson from my BD, and started teaching myself baritone.

I went to Crown camp and had a great time. I was planning on going back, but due to a family member's medical problem, I don't have enough money to march '06, and I have no ride down to South Carolina.

So I'll be marching Carolina Gold, which is much cheaper and much closer. I'll be back for Crown next year.

But anyway, the DCI ESPN2 program did have an impact on me. I would have liked it if they had showed the full 12 minute shows, but whatever. I just wish I had been exposed to drum corps back when they showed the shows on PBS.

Edited by flashofthunder

Has any corps seen an increase in their camps and / or potential membership due to the exposure on ESPN or the national news this fall? Has revenue increased due the exposure? Im curious. Give me your opinions.

I think the real answer to this question can be better assesed by monitoring visits to DCI.org or other factors like attendance numbers at this summers shows, or even at winter DCI sponsored events. IMO it would be difficult to gauge the impact this early....I hope that the exposure ESPN brought to the activity has at least a minimal impact on the activity....I also hope that this type of exposure continues, and that this was not just a one shot deal.

They showed a PBS oriented program within an ESPN environment. It was far too bland and artsy for a station that brings you in your face productions such as X-Games. The audio did a VERY poor job showcasing the power of a DIV I hornline. My reaction to the broadcast leans towards thinking that it did not have much of an impact. They need more in your face, better audio, and a better format that fits within other ESPN type programming. PBS needed the mature audience that tend to actually financially support funding during pledge drives. With ESPN, they need to let their hair down and just WOW their audiences. This activity is much more exciting than what they showcased.

Edited by ContraJohn

Nothing convinces kids to march like two things.

Word of mouth of other marching members their age.

Going to a show.

If corps could advertise shows during the summer on TV, I think that'd be a lot more effective. Every show that doesn't sell out, they should lower the ticket prices for the year afterwards. Every year, my band goes up for the Orlando show, and that's surely why around 20% of our members (in a band that has had 50 or so kids for the last two years) march or have marched corps.

it had to help a few fence sitters i am sure.

and in time, repeated showings can only help