Legacy dvd review

From what I here. ALL of those "recordings" belong to Video Express, the company that produced them. I think DCI only had rights to the "broadcast" that was shown on PBS. Thus that's all we get. When the two companies parted ways. It wasn't pretty. They pretty much took their toys and went home.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I here. ALL of those "recordings" belong to Video Express, the company that produced them. I think DCI only had rights to the "broadcast" that was shown on PBS. Thus that's all we get. When the two companies parted ways. It wasn't pretty. They pretty much took their toys and went home.

then how do you explain how Star got them for their dvd?

Well, if that was the reason, I'd gladly accept it. But that's a very different excuse from "It would have taken up too much room on the DVD and cost a little more."

Does anybody know for sure what the actual reason is?

then how do you explain how Star got them for their dvd?

I would think that every corps bought all and every angle possible for their show that year. If you already have the vids all you have to do is transfer and sync them with the othe angles.

I have a 89 top 17 high camera only vid.

I posted this response on the "Tom Blair Wish List" topic a couple of months ago:

"I actually called DCI a few months ago looking for the Bluecoats '86 Semifinals video (we came in 15th that year) and they told me that they have the videos (on some sort of format that I didn't recognize), and they said it would be too costly to convert to another format (VHS, DVD) for me to purchase. They did tell me that they COULD be available in the future."

I was also told by a Bluecoats BOD member that the videos are actually property of the individual corps, so that if the corps were to request it from DCI, they (DCI) would have to give it them (the corps). Don't know if that's really true or not though.

Well, if that was the reason, I'd gladly accept it. But that's a very different excuse from "It would have taken up too much room on the DVD and cost a little more."

That's not an 'excuse'. It's a reason. Backwards producing (trying to take a product that exists in one form and expand it to include lots of new/old material) is time consuming as well as disk consuming. They took the time to improve the sound on the oldest DVD's by replacing the original broadcast mono with the stereo recordings, but going the next step to try making the Legacy DVD's on par with the current (2000-2005) disks would have made the packages more expensive.

Drive up price, and you decrease the pool of potential buyers. Those who are interested in the more arcane elements of drum corps on video wiill find a way to locate what they're looking for, but there's no reason to raise the price of the entire line of products to satiate a small segment of the market. Putting an additional $30-40 on top of the retail of a Legacy disk so that high angle could be included would likely kill off some existing sales without generating enough additional sales to offset the loss (in other words, those who are REAL fanatics about a given year may buy it, but others who would impulse-buy might pass on it). DCI guessed - correctly - that most people would accept a product that was a significant improvement on the old product at a much better price, even if it wasn't everything to all people.

Hopefully, one of these days the cost of conversion combined with efficient delivery systems will be there to allow streaming of everything in the video and audio archives at DCI, but it's just not there yet.

Edited by mobrien

...Drive up price, and you decrease the pool of potential buyers. Those who are interested in the more arcane elements of drum corps on video wiill find a way to locate what they're looking for, but there's no reason to raise the price of the entire line of products to satiate a small segment of the market.

Look, you seem like you know what you're talking about - and I'm not trying to pick you apart (because it irritates me when people do that to me on here). But I strongly disagree with the notion that allowing me to see the show as the designer intended from a fixed point where I can see most if not all of the field is an "arcane element of drum corps". For some of us, it is actually an essential element of drum corps. And if the people responsible for producing the DCI Legacy DVDs are alligned with you on that point, then that probably explains quite a bit.

And if you can suggest how I can legally locate and obtain a high camera copy of 80's Drum Corps from a source other than DCI, please do. I'm all ears (or eyes in this case). :tic:

Putting an additional $30-40 on top of the retail of a Legacy disk so that high angle could be included would likely kill off some existing sales without generating enough additional sales to offset the loss (in other words, those who are REAL fanatics about a given year may buy it, but others who would impulse-buy might pass on it). DCI guessed - correctly - that most people would accept a product that was a significant improvement on the old product at a much better price, even if it wasn't everything to all people.

I don't think there was much guessing involved. It stands to reason that when fanatics are given a choice between an inferior product and no product - they will choose the inferior product.

We're just saying we wish we hadn't been given an inferior product. That's all.

B)

Peace!

Edited by bradrick

And if you can suggest how I can legally locate and obtain a high camera copy of 80's Drum Corps from a source other than DCI, please do. I'm all ears (or eyes in this case). :tic: B)

Best I can say is to keep an eye on eBay - I've gotten lucky finding some relatively arcane :P Cavaliers stuff back from my era, so ya never know.

I have no doubt that if DCI keeps doing things as intelligently as they have re: older material, that the high-cam video could become available some time down the road. But sending high quality video through the 'net is still in its relative infancy (the last numbers I saw indicate that only half of America has broadband or faster connections right now), and it will take a few years until the conversion and management of the non-broadcast archival stuff becomes cost-effective. Maybe someday there'll be a drum corps version of the OnDemand concept for cable; if there's a reasonable way to offer it, I'd imagine that the current DCI leadership would jump on the opportunity. They seem to be a pretty smart bunch down there in Addison.

Edited by mobrien

Given the choice between 13-24th place corps available

on DVD or High camera angles (these seem to be the popular 2

things missing) I'd choose 13-24 all day long - keeping those DVD's at $39

I do watch the high camera angle sometimes on the 2000

and up dvd's...but only on occasion.

I also sat in the front row, about 48 yard line during prelims

in foxboro - it was an incredible wall of sound experience!!