Sky Ryders in Classic Countdown

Sky Ryders in Classic Countdown  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What Sky Ryders year would you vote for in Classic Countdown?

• not voting for them

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief, I was just going to write the same thing, only to see that a guy I marched with, and haven't spoken to in 12 years, just posted.

What's up, Corey???

I'm doing well, how bout you? I'm back as a full time student at UNT (probably the only person from Regiment going here for something other than music-- pre-dental). I have a wife and 2 kids (Sarah, 3 1/2 yrs old and Tommy, 1 1/2 yrs old) and (still) obsess over drum corps, of course-- when I geek out too much, my wife starts calling me Uncle Rico.

I wish I could go to the home show this year (of all years...) but I'll have to settle for seeing the corps in Dallas.

It's good hearing from you.

(BTW.... since we're so off topic... we know the real year the "buicks" got their name.... B))

Edited by year1buick

I voted for 87. I just saw it for the first time tonight (heard it a hundred times). Wow, that was a cool show. :worthy:

Had to vote for '87....IMO I was the best visual respresentation of West Side Story a corps has performed on the field.

For me 84 Garfield was better musically....but visually, yeah...Sky had it.

I ausually tear up when Tony and Maria run off at the end...and the fact that the upper and lower brass lines never meshed visually except for "Mambo" and "The Rumble" must've been a nightmare for the drill writer...all the usual staging theory went right out the window.

And something you don't see on teh DVD because they cut away too fast....at the very end when you haqve the upper & lower bass evenly meshed,, you get pairings leaning against each other....one upper (in white) and one lower (in black)....the camera focuses on one pair....the upper player is a black gu and the lkower white....absolutely brilliant.

I know I teared up at the very end...

Hey Tom....was that you on the mello solo in "Rainbow?"

I think my fave musical moment of that show is the sop enterance in ther "Wonderful Lamd of Oz" part -- after the perc feature, but before the Wicked Witch came out with the "Surrender, Dorothy" banner....the sops were absolutely, frighteningly airtight in that passage

The mello solo in 86 was played by Mike Ellis. I played the solo in retreat in 87 and 88.

Good morning:

I listened to '82 and '86 (I'm real tired of "West Side Story.")

Both are good...but I voted for '82 specifically because it had

all the elements: "Over the Rainbow" and double rifles and

soloists that tear up the place. That guard was something

special. I actually remember watching that live (on TV) and

being absolutely mesmorized. (Yeah...I was...um...five at

the time. :)

Oh...and "Come in from the Rain" was a beautiful ballad.

MAV

Hey Poodle! Interesting how this thread about the Classic Countdown has been running since 1/20 but my "vote Garfield 1985" thread was closed on day one, as you wrote, "Please keep discussion on the Countdown to this thread:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.org/forums//ind...pic=73908"

Nothing against Sky, but shouldn't you be imposing your editorial zeal a bit more fairhandedly?

I did actually voted for Sky's 87 show as one of my 1980's representations.

Visually innovative with the black and white elements, which touched but NEVER intermingled until the end...WOW.

Not a very clean show. But loved the guard unis, flags, choreography...just gorgeous!

A wonderful interpretation of WSS.