Wayne Monarchs, anyone?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt is also one of the horn instructors for the Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni Corps, and I might add that he is doing a phenomenal job!!!

He is also the lead trumpet player with my 18-piece big band, The Jordan Thomas Orchestra, and he has been doing a phenomenal job with us, as well!!!

By the way, I attended one Wayne Monarchs rehearsal back in 1974 or 1975, (I think), and there are two things that stick out in my mind...

Jack Taylor standing on top of the corps bus shouting directions to the corps, and George Vonderschmidt, a friend and fellow alumnus of Bergenfield High School, trying to convince me to join!!! :P

I remember Matt well. He really progressed in his abilities while I was with the corps and I'm glad to hear he's still at the top of his game. All this talk is making me search for the old Schilke 14A 4A again! :worthy:

I remember Matt well. He really progressed in his abilities while I was with the corps and I'm glad to hear he's still at the top of his game. All this talk is making me search for the old Schilke 14A 4A again! :worthy:

Why don't you come down and join us in Bayonne? Even if just to say hello! Our next rehearsal is Sunday, February 12th, from 12 to 6pm, at St. Andrew's Church, 4th and Broadway, Bayonne, NJ.

We still have a few openings in all sections!

...it's a small world...

I'm also a GS Alum. Marched in Fantasia III in the late 70's, which was actually an amalgamation of corps like the Imperial Knights, Dynamics, Royalaires, and a few of the cats left over when the Muchachos went inactive. A good, tough little Class A corps, with lots of other gangs just like them competing every week.

These corps were a wonderful training ground and certainly got many, many young people involved in drum corps and served as the bridge to get many of us into the Open Class world.

Good memories!

Cheers!

Karen

Garden State Circuit, one that in my opinion fielded many top corps' some that went on to national prominence, some that stayed in the circuit.. Too bad GSC is no longer..

Why don't you come down and join us in Bayonne? Even if just to say hello! Our next rehearsal is Sunday, February 12th, from 12 to 6pm, at St. Andrew's Church, 4th and Broadway, Bayonne, NJ.

We still have a few openings in all sections!

Thanks for the invite! That would be a thrill. However I now live in West Palm Beach and the commute would be a tad too much. I do travel to NJ on business still so I'll be sure to let you know when I'm coming and try to plug in to any events regarding corps or your big band. Do you have any CDs of your orchestra? If you have a website let me know. Have fun, and thanks for thinking of me.

Joe

Garden State Circuit, one that in my opinion fielded many top corps' some that went on to national prominence, some that stayed in the circuit.. Too bad GSC is no longer..

Definitley some great corps from GSC. Always liked watching your corps, Saints and Grenediers. Do you recall if Grenediers did anything on the open circuit? I remember that they won quite a few shows but can't remember what happened to them. For some reason Monarchs could never cross that threshold. But man, we sure had fun didn't we?

Great to hear from another 'old original'.

Joe

Thanks for the invite! That would be a thrill. However I now live in West Palm Beach and the commute would be a tad too much. I do travel to NJ on business still so I'll be sure to let you know when I'm coming and try to plug in to any events regarding corps or your big band. Do you have any CDs of your orchestra? If you have a website let me know. Have fun, and thanks for thinking of me.

Joe

Believe it or not, we have at least 25 people in the Bridgemen Alumni Corps that travel in from California, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, and Canada! approximately 10 of those come up from Florida, including my partner, and fellow drum major, John Richard. (John was DM for St. Andrew's Bridgemen from 1965 until 1974.) If you go to our website at www.bridgemen.info, you will find lots of info about the corps, including photos of Matt, (and probably many other people that you know), and a corps schedule. By the way, we only have about eight more rehearsals, and then, a few shows, and parades.

My band's website is currently down, and I'm in the process of re-vamping it. I do have a CD that I could send you. Send me your address in a PM, and I'll get one right out to you.

Hope to meet you later this year!

Thanks!

Jim

...it's a small world...

I'm also a GS Alum. Marched in Fantasia III in the late 70's, which was actually an amalgamation of corps like the Imperial Knights, Dynamics, Royalaires, and a few of the cats left over when the Muchachos went inactive. A good, tough little Class A corps, with lots of other gangs just like them competing every week.

These corps were a wonderful training ground and certainly got many, many young people involved in drum corps and served as the bridge to get many of us into the Open Class world.

Good memories!

Cheers!

Karen

Hey Karen!

You mentioned some really great drum corps!!!

Just wanted to let you know that all of your Bridgemen buddies are wondering just when you're going to pay us a visit??? You could even hitch a ride with the Boston contingent! Come on down and say hello!!!

Edited by overthehillDM