90% of Drum Corps Planet

drumlaw80

New owners are supposedly coming soon.

Maybe it'll liven up then.

Unless it is a drum corps entity with a highly vested business interest in this endeavor.

In which case, I suspect you will see the oppostite.

If people were smart about this, they would realize that the value of DCP is solely derived from the content, not the control.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless it is a drum corps entity with a highly vested business interest in this endeavor.

In which case, I suspect you will see the oppostite.

If people were smart about this, they would realize that the value of DCP is solely derived from the content, not the control.

Not everyone here is out to have fun responsibly, though, like you or I, or the majority of DCP posters. There's just too much of a chance of keyboard courage casuing bad feelings, so I suppose they err on the side of caution for that reason. The few bad apples ruin it for the rest.

That brings up the additional idea of what "control" is as well. Who should we use to define what's in good taste/worth posting/important? Your idea? My idea? Playing to the lowest common denominatior of PC enforcement isn't fun, but it's probably on of the only ways to keep most of us on a level playing field. Add in the fact that a lot of parents come here, along with kids as young as 12 or 13...and the reason for the "Care Bear" effect becomes even more obvious.

I don't like it all the time either, but it's better than seeing <taps> every third subject line or something similar on r.a.m.d.

Edited by bawker

What would be nice if conversations would be allowed to develop, ideas and themes be allowed to run their course, all sdes be allowed to be express themselves, nonsense not allowed to flourish, along with the children that spew it. The past year has seen such an influx of children and they are totally taking away the integrity of the site and completely dismissing the past, the history and the realit of drum corps and what it was and it has become something much less enjoyable and prestigious that it once was.

I'll admit in the posting realm of DCP I'm a youngster. I've been around drum corps for a bout 7 years now, and one thing I always do when I post is respond with a professional opinion. I'm a music educator for my day job, so I know professionalism. I don't know what you consider children on this site, but being 24 and a music educator with a passion for drum corps, don't let some children ruin it for us youngsters who are serious about DCA. I was the one that posted the topic on the Delmarva Corps because I am very intent on finding the people and resources and starting something drum corps (minicorps to start) here on the corps-stricken peninsula.

I do appreciate the history of the drum corps world, and being a former Reading Buccaneer and a current Erie Thunderbird (from a distance), I loved competing against the hawthorne cabs, the brigadiers, statesmen, hurcs, sky, bush, etc. It was great to be able to be a part of the history of DCA. I have performed with great people that I consider idols in drum corps. Gene and Jeff, I'm talking about you guys! So I've marched with some of the great players and against some of the greats as well, and I still wanna know more and learn more about corps.

Playing to the lowest common denominatior of PC enforcement isn't fun, but it's probably on of the only ways to keep most of us on a level playing field. Add in the fact that a lot of parents come here, along with kids as young as 12 or 13...and the reason for the "Care Bear" effect becomes even more obvious.

And therefore kills any attempt at honest, intellectual discussion or debate.

How about we have actual CONSEQUENCES for actions that violate the Community Guidelines instead of over-filtering to prevent possible (shudder) or imagined (where's my Lithium?) violations. Kick 'em off, ban their IP, whatever...IF THEY ACTUALLY BREAK THE CGs. But that would be confrontational and god save us if we actually have to be the bad guy. It might hurt our psyche...or even worse, make someone not LIKE us! (shudder again).

Yeah, whatever...I'll just go back to lurking again. G's right in that respect...MANY formerly active members (adults and "kids" alike) just lurk or just plain don't come here anymore.

How about we have actual CONSEQUENCES for actions that violate the Community Guidelines instead of over-filtering to prevent possible (shudder) or imagined (where's my Lithium?) violations. Kick 'em off, ban their IP, whatever...IF THEY ACTUALLY BREAK THE CGs. But that would be confrontational and god save us if we actually have to be the bad guy. It might hurt our psyche...or even worse, make someone not LIKE us! (shudder again).

Yeah, whatever...I'll just go back to lurking again. G's right in that respect...MANY formerly active members (adults and "kids" alike) just lurk or just plain don't come here anymore.

Good points. It's virtually impossible to navigate any sort of middle ground.

I may be stepping out of bounds here but you will notice a very obvious lack of CorpsVets posters here on DCP for exactly the reasons stated above.

Believe me, there are consequences, and they are enforced when the situation calls for it. (suspensions, ban, etc.)

It's always easier to look from the outside.

Thanks.

No Lee, I mean reall, honest to goodness, nonsense. I just got PM's by a 16 year old trying to defend himself about an opinion he has and telling me how he saw BD in 1997 five times......Take it for what you want, but that has nothing to do with free speech..thats udder nonsense on all levels and things like that, blatant absence of reality and credibility is whats turning this place into a joke. a "rah rah" fest where bandwidth is wasted by "go (insert corps)" " I love (insert corps) " One word posts, borg-esque behaviour, blind loyalty, absence of facts...etc...no, inagination, creativity, humour, fun..all those things are missing and somethings are killed before they can start and things like I mentioned are allowed to flourish .......

~G~

Believe me, there are consequences, and they are enforced when the situation calls for it. (suspensions, ban, etc.)

It's always easier to look from the outside.

Thanks.

Rich,

If you had been the main moderator from Day 1, DCP would not have floundered.