DCI 2006 will be remembered as...?

Fair enough, but I can't really think of another word to use that so precisely (I had written succinctly but I didn't want to come off as being pedantic) captures (I had written encapsulates but changed that) what I think (I had used hypothesize but decided to change it) their show might turn out like.

For all I know, it could be nothing like that. It could be my favorite show of all-time. My initial comment was a guess - one made somewhat in jest, at that. Whatever.

P.S. I'm aware that this post is the epitome (could've used paragon, but they're both pretty good) of the word pedantic. In the future I'll try to dumb down my posts so the common, uneducated DCP person can understand them.

Or maybe I could just keep using the vocabulary I'm comfortable with and not indirectly insult your intelligence.

edit: I guess I could've used didactic, but I think pedantic has more of a negative connotation than didactic.

Sounds like this guy knows how to use a thesaurus. :laugh:

P.S. I could've said "Incontrovertibly, this milquetoast is cognizant a lexicon." But then I feared I might challenge his wit...or worse...sound like him. :ph34r:

(Brian - don't get your undies in a wad over this post. I just couldn't resist. I'm a fan of big words. :huh: )

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is fun.

No, seriously, it is.

I like the thesaurus (though I didn't use it for that post).

Edit: and I do like postmodernism, as well. People just take it over the edge sometimes and try to pass off something that is really meaningless as "postmodernist."

Edited by TTitans909

I would hardly come to the conclusion that his statement is implying East Coast Jazz rules (although it may be true :P ) by stating that. If voicing his opinion on a corps that he isn't even in competition with is hating on other corps, then I'm probably considered a hater as well.

Well, at least we know your opinion about Dynasty :P Does hate fit there? :laugh::ph34r: :sshh:

:) Jim

This is fun.

No, seriously, it is.

I like the thesaurus (though I didn't use it for that post).

Edit: and I do like postmodernism, as well. People just take it over the edge sometimes and try to pass off something that is really meaningless as "postmodernist."

A fundamental tenet of postmodernism is that nothing has meaning. So that "something that is really meaningless" that you speak of is actually perfectly postmodern. :laugh:

Edited by KingMargeret

A fundamental tenet of postmodernism is that nothing has meaning. So that "something that is really meaningless" that you speak of is actually perfectly postmodern. :laugh:

Postmodernism doesn't really reject meaning, it just rejects objective meaning.

And that's where my problem comes in. I'm all for rejecting objective meaning, not believing in universals, trying to undermine the basic assumptions and biases that people bring to their philosophy, etc.

But when someone tries to pass something off as having some sort of subjective meaning when they really couldn't even explain what meaning it has, you kind of lose me.

I also don't like extremely abstract postmodernist art/poetry. I believe there is meaning in nothing, but not everything has meaning.

I think he just likes saying the word "pedantic."

shallow and pedantic FUNNY FAMILY GUY QUOTE