• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. 1992-1993

2. 1989-1990

3. 1983-1984

4. 1995-1996

5. 2000-2001

Harvey

PS, 1997 is probably my 2nd favorite Cadets year, behind 1995, but I wasn't about to leave 1995 out of the list, and I hated 1994 (in my opinion, the worst year EVER for DCI)

Harvey

83-84

had the best mellophone soloist ever to play in DCI, and set the standards that we see to this day.

Jill Clemmons played for Cadets? I thought she was in Suncoast Sound. :P

Seriously, Barbara Maroney (Garfield) had the most amazing control (her "high C" never wavered...and she didn't turn red! How sick!), but Jill (aged out of Suncoast in '86) had the best tone quality I've ever heard. Chris Lewis (Cadets '85/'86) was pretty good, too...her semifinal solo in 1986 was perfect (she blew at Finals, so the recording was from semis).

1984 and 1985 are Classic Garfield years and the foundation of The current Cadets pursuit for excellence...

But, I will have to choose 1997 and 1998 as my top favorite Cadets years, maybe cause those were the years I finally got of my butt and went to Cadets.

1984 and 1985 are mine; 1983 was great, but the aforementioneds were brand new shows (no repeat tunage). So many thought (and think) 1984 is the greatest show ever. Meh.. I think 1985's bombastic program was just sick! Ok, ok, you proved your point in '84! Relax! But no... they did the entire 2nd movement of "Jeremiah" (sans repeats). Again: sick! b**bs

To "finally get off your butt..." in 1997 is nothing short of being at the right place/time (you lucky @#$%$#@). That Sparkes show was the best thing on the field (and one of Cadets' very best designed shows!)...it was just a bit too much, technically, in terms of outscoring the very stoic but technically perfect BD. I don't know how y'all did it, but it was incredible! :laugh:

Jill Clemmons played for Cadets? I thought she was in Suncoast Sound. :P

Seriously, Barbara Maroney (Garfield) had the most amazing control (her "high C" never wavered...and she didn't turn red! How sick!), but Jill (aged out of Suncoast in '86) had the best tone quality I've ever heard. Chris Lewis (Cadets '85/'86) was pretty good, too...her semifinal solo in 1986 was perfect (she blew at Finals, so the recording was from semis).

that would have been nice in the female soloist thread

I hated 1994 (in my opinion, the worst year EVER for DCI)

LOL! I had the EXACT thought while reading this thread! Only the Devils can claim 1994 as a "banner year."

Gold) 83-84-85 - Innovation - Emotion - Execution. Does anyone honestly wish to break these remarkable shows apart? The marching arts were forever changed during this period - I just can't pick only two.

Silver) 92-93 - Countless corps have flogged Wind Symphony literature to the activity's detriment, but these two shows proved you could play "unfamiliar" music and still sell it. It's popular to think only of Star in 1993, but many forget that The Cadets had a WILDLY entertaining and demanding program - which connected with the audience. I loathe ties, but 1993 is the ONLY year one might have been justified.

Bronze) 00-01 - Fun is the "next evolution" of drum corps?! It could be argued that the success of these programs pulled the activity back towards more "crowd pleasing" fare - corps realized that "cutting edge" and "fan favorite" are NOT mutually exclusive concepts.

The Future? - With the success of 05, perhaps 05-06 will garner similar respect in the years to come.

*Disclaimer - 1987 is my all-time favorite Cadet show - it deserves to stand alone. :)

Edited by OKTrpt

1992-1993

Shane