Cadets post ballad clip for 2006 show

Another winning idea musically for The Cadets! Granted, they sound like crap right now (because it's February) but the addition of the vocals and the percussion will make this ballad a show stopper. I CAN'T WAIT to hear how the creative team approaches the vocal aspect of the production.

My old team does it again!

Way to go Cadets!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly? It doesn't do much for me. I've heard many a ballad that were a lot more interesting than this. And shouldn't a ballad usually have more in the way of a melody? I know this is rude of me to say, but it sounded more like a warm-up chorale to me.

Vocals, I could care less. Might be cool.

Intonation and harsh tone qualities at loud volumes hurt me (that's why I would cry :laugh: )

But as has been said, it's just february. No one really sounds good in february.

I agree and i still stand by my original statement about tone. Although drum corps is an exciting chop busting activity, I still think there needs to be a more sensitive side and something that isn't as hard on the ears. Granted it may sound ok, but the cadets (or anyone... for that matter frankly) should and probably do set their standards higher than what is produced on recording. To me it sounds like some of their tone, intonation and balance issues (harsh trumpets, even in last years ballad) could be fixed by 1) getting a good supported sound and then 2) use that sound in the ensemble context to play "in tone" with one another. This is a concept that groups like the canadian brass use to play with each other... essentially by playing into each others sound, a lot of intonation and balance problems tend to fix themselves. When I listen to the cadets ballad from this year (feb. recording) and even the ballad from last summer, I don't hear a lot of "playing in tone" in the ensemble. Intonation may be close, but we all know how good "close" sounds. I think in recent years with sensitive playing that cavaliers may have the best grasp of the concept. Phantom does a really good job and bluecoats last year did a pretty good job as well.

Has anyone mentioned Freelancers 1985 & Emmanuel? That was a magnificent use of vocals in a drum corps performance.

omg, that stands out as one of the most beautiful shows ever. "Emmanuel's" vocals opened the show, and they closed with "Bells."

Definitely a drum corps show one must refer to as "She." :laugh:

I agree and i still stand by my original statement about tone. Although drum corps is an exciting chop busting activity, I still think there needs to be a more sensitive side and something that isn't as hard on the ears. Granted it may sound ok, but the cadets (or anyone... for that matter frankly) should and probably do set their standards higher than what is produced on recording. To me it sounds like some of their tone, intonation and balance issues (harsh trumpets, even in last years ballad) could be fixed by 1) getting a good supported sound and then 2) use that sound in the ensemble context to play "in tone" with one another. This is a concept that groups like the canadian brass use to play with each other... essentially by playing into each others sound, a lot of intonation and balance problems tend to fix themselves. When I listen to the cadets ballad from this year (feb. recording) and even the ballad from last summer, I don't hear a lot of "playing in tone" in the ensemble. Intonation may be close, but we all know how good "close" sounds.

No offense, but it's just a little ridiculous to judge intonation based on a non-professional February camp recording. Granted, Gino's Cadet hornlines tend to be somewhat "aggressive," but that hasn't prevented them from winning two high brass trophies. B)

Posted this on the other "Cadets camp" thread...but does anyone else get "Canon" stuck in their head while listening to this?

*nods*

Personally, I like where the brass is going with this. I'm not really sure what the vocalist could add to what is already there.

In either case, I look forward to more recordings.

It's allright. I think its pretty easy, anyone can play whole notes and half notes really loud. I don't see really any musical moments in it, it also sounds like your average drum corps balad, but who nows its february it could be awesome by august.