Cadets post ballad clip for 2006 show

It's allright. I think its pretty easy, anyone can play whole notes and half notes really loud. I don't see really any musical moments in it, it also sounds like your average drum corps balad, but who nows its february it could be awesome by august.

"Awesome by August":

Hopefully the vocalist will be GONE by August.

Elphaba

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you SCVsopAaron, and I, too, think this is going to be beautiful and well performed. But do be careful about how you approach those who do not like this clip, or hate amps and vocals. One of the great things about DCP is the ability for all of us to "sound off" from time to time. There are a lot of changes in drum and bugle corps...always have been. As the activity continues to change we really need to hear the other side. We need different perspective and ideas...a sort of counter-thought to the norm, or to the change, or to the proposals. It doesn't have to get personal, but I would prefer to read what people really think. Going to shows willingly, as you suggest, is always a good thing, but we don't want a situation where you either conform or get lost. Drum and bugle corps will need to be somewhat diverse in order to appeal to a broad range of fans and styles.

Personally, the clip sounds great, but obviously not perfect or as musical as it needs to be. But it's early. I am hoping we can get a clip or two of the Bluecoats up soon. They sound fantastic right now, but hey, way to go Cadets.

Jonathan

:wall::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Quite possibly the best, most reasoned out, mature post I have seen in QUITE some time wrt the "wedge issue" that is A&E. While personally I am not a fan, I was somewhat surprised by the fact that I actually enjoy Cadets program last year, even with the vocals. I would even go so far as to say that they added much to the Machine segment. Having said that, my favorite corps (BD) won't get much 2005 love from me, I just didn't like it. It was too much.

Anyway, great attitude Jonathan, and a lot of folks ON BOTH SIDES of the issue here on ol' DCP would be wise to take something out of it.

BTW, to stay somewhat on topic, I like the ballad, and am curious to see what happens with the vocals, but I am concerned on two fronts: 1. Having one person, however talented, contribute what looks to be a major part of the piece (I know, I know, soloists have been doing it for years, but this IS different) (caveat: of course, this is going with the assumption that it WILL be a vocal soloist and not something else) and 2. In the two years of amped vocals we have seen so far, the sound quality of the amplified voice is, well, not the best. It is often too loud, and sounds like announcements at my kid's school PTA meetings. This is not a knock on the performers as much as a concern about the hardware being used. Anyway, I am interested to see how it plays out...

I agree that the idea of a vocal soloist is different and, therefore, exposes The Cadets on many fronts. The one that concerns me the most is if this woman can't perform on a given night (not to mention at finals) due to a serious head cold or laryngitis. Hoppy has mentioned how beautiful a voice she has. This might add to the ballad and make it wonderful. But what happens if she can't perform? Will there be an understudy and what will the quality and/or training of HER voice be like? Will it be hit or miss based on whether the "star" can perform or you end up with her understudy? Whereas there is less of a chance that a trumpet soloist, for example, could not perform.

Anyone have experience with this is marching band? How do they handle it?

Edited by fifer

I agree that the idea of a vocal soloist is different and, therefore, exposes The Cadets on many fronts. The one that concerns me the most is if this woman can't perform on a given night (not to mention at finals) due to a serious head cold or laryngitis. Hoppy has mentioned how beautiful a voice she has. This might add to the ballad and make it wonderful. But what happens if she can't perform? Will there be an understudy and what will the quality and/or training of HER voice be like? Will it be hit or miss based on whether the "star" can perform or you end up with her understudy? Whereas there is less of a chance that a trumpet soloist, for example, could not perform.

Anyone have experience with this is marching band? How do they handle it?

corps like phantom and madison took similar risks with their featured performers last year. what would've happened if carmen broke her leg? (sidenote: the guy from phantom did break his fingers or something right before foxboro and they had to change some stuff around - there was a season pass video thing about it)

picking a featured performer like that is a very risky decision, but i'm sure that whoever makes that decision will be thinking about understudies, etc.

Will it be hit or miss based on whether the "star" can perform or you end up with her understudy? Whereas there is less of a chance that a trumpet soloist, for example, could not perform.

I'd say the risks of any soloist not being able to perform on a given night is about the same, vocalist or otherwise. What distinguishes the instrumental situation is the likelihood of a qualified backup seems higher because each corps has numerous others whose speciality is that same instrument.

Still, what would Glassmen have done a couple of years ago when they featured that flugelhorn soloist? Had he fallen down and cut his lip, was there an adequate alternate? What about some of the arch screamers BD has featured? I know they have other high-note players, but would the difference be obvious to the audience?

HH

It's allright. I think its pretty easy, anyone can play whole notes and half notes really loud. I don't see really any musical moments in it, it also sounds like your average drum corps balad, but who nows its february it could be awesome by august.

True, but the REST of the book has so many notes that they probably needed to give the brass a small break. ^0^

Edited by OKTrpt

I didn't really like it very much, personally. It's ineffectively repetitive, in my opinion. Some parts were alright, but I still don't like it as much as the piece they played in the arc in '04, the Sondheim chart (something about "winter," I believe?) THAT was a gorgeous piece. This one seems to be more meddling and unsurprising, to me. Sorry, but I guess I don't hear what's causing all the hype about this song.

I could not have said it better. Nice sound, but nothing compelling. When do they get the re-write????

Might as well try asking...what WAS the name of that Sondheim chart they were playing in that '04 video?? I saved it on my computer and would watch it from time to time, but the link became invalid.