Cadets post ballad clip for 2006 show

Honestly? It doesn't do much for me. I've heard many a ballad that were a lot more interesting than this. And shouldn't a ballad usually have more in the way of a melody? I know this is rude of me to say, but it sounded more like a warm-up chorale to me.

I agree with you, as well as with Jared_Mello and SopranoSesto. It just seems very...generic. Like one among the thousands of other ballads that corps have been doing for the past 30 odd years. AND after hearing a great clip of The Cavaliers opener a few weeks ago from a friend :worthy: I still say the Cavs are gonna take it in 06.

From what I heard of MACHINE, it sounds like a cross between the angry and eery parts of Niagara Falls and the sophistication of Frameworks.

HAHA, edited for temporal anomolies.

Edited by G-Cym

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, as well as with Jared_Mello and SopranoSesto. It just seems very...generic. Like one among the thousands of other ballads that corps have been doing for the past 30 odd years. AND after hearing a great clip of The Cavaliers opener a few weeks ago from a friend :worthy: I still say the Cavs are gonna take it in 04.

From what I heard of MACHINE, it sounds like a cross between the angry and eery parts of Niagara Falls and the sophistication of Frameworks.

They did take it in 04!!!! :worthy:

I agree with you, as well as with Jared_Mello and SopranoSesto. It just seems very...generic. Like one among the thousands of other ballads that corps have been doing for the past 30 odd years.

I know what you're saying. I also know enough about the Cadets to know that what you hear in February from a written standpoint (9 times out of 10) will be nothing like what you hear in August. Rewrites, rewrites, and more rewrites is usually what they do. (We haven't even heard what the pit contribution will be yet, or the voice for that matter).

And that more than any other corps IMO, the Cadets do ballads VERY well. So my guess is that by the end of the year, this won't be just like any other ballad played in the last 30 years.

(I've also heard some of the Cavaliers camp recordings, and they are indeed going to be tough to beat IMO. Great stuff!)

Edited by rut-roh

I am about to offer people money for these darn BD and Cavies recordings!!! :worthy:

I bet people would pay for a listen....corps should jump on this!! :)

I don't know. I've been a big fan of Cadets' ballads for the past few years. Okay actually just 02 and 05. I'm sure they'll do some cool stuff with this one, but it's kind of harmonically boring. just a lot of suspensions and whatnot. I don't know... I'll have to see it in August to make a final judgement.